Gas-N-Go: Now Hiring
12-03-2014, 04:33 PM
Gas-N-Go: Now Hiring
[Image: sKFIjoV.png]

Hello and welcome to this terrible opening post.

I'll be your host, KatoHearts.

Now, I'm sure you're wondering what this game is all about so I'll make this quick.

This game is about roleplaying gas station employees working smack dab in the middle of Bumfuck, Nowhere.

Sound boring?

There's more to it, believe me, but nothing I want to spoil just yet.

Welcome to the Night Shift.

The Story
There is none! Well, I mean, there's no over arching plot but there will be recurring characters. I'm really intending for this to be a sort of drop in/drop out sort of thing.
Mechanics.
This will be a very light system. There aren't any stats and I'll roll dice as the story demands so don't worry about getting a critical fumble on your mop roll.
Name: Most humans have these.
Appearance: I'd be very confused if you didn't have one of these.
Bio: Make it quick, it doesn't need to be an in depth affair.

Game starts sometime in the future, probably this weekend. My schedule is constantly in flux but I'll be updating whenever I can.

Since it's the first night let's go with four players.

Oh, and have a little ambiance.

12-03-2014, 04:59 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2014 03:54 PM by Yewchung.)
RE: Gas-N-Go: Now Hiring
Name: Nauja Morrison

Appearance: Twenty-something girl. Perpetually wearing a hoodie, and carrying around a small backpack full of random stuff (like her spray paint). Wears a mid-length (somewhat frizzy) white wig, because turns out dyeing dark hair to white is incredibly hard.

Bio: Nauja was born in Alaska. She grew up in and around snow, but when she was six, her parents decided to move south for better job opportunities. But Nauja never forgot the snow.

Nowadays, Nauja is a twenty-something artist. A street artist, that is. Prone to bouts of amateur philosophizing, she generally goes around scoping out locations and planning pieces. She's always wanted white hair, the color of snow, but after a mishap with some bleach Nauja opted simply to shave (what was left of) her hair and wear a wig.

Nauja does own a computer, and has tried her hand at some amateur DJing, but generally prefers graffiti anyways. She mostly uses the computer to pirate movies and shows. She has taken this job because, as it turns out, spray cans and rent cost money, and as great as graffiti is, its not likely to make her cash anytime soon.
12-03-2014, 06:07 PM
Name: Annabelle "Annie" Bergland

Appearance: Early twenties, tall, blond hair worn at a medium length, with parted curls, hazel eyes. Wears a dark green wool sweater and women's sweatpants, along with a bangle on her left wrist. Has a tattoo of a bumblebee on her nape. Generally looks tired a lot of the time, and keeps school-books with her for when she gets a break, or when things are slow.

Bio: Annie's a hardworking girl from a middle-class family, the kind of people you'd find in any old American suburb. She knew her folks had come over from Norway a long time ago, but there's some Irish, English, and Polish blood in her too - a regular American mutt. Her parents work white-collar jobs, but times have been tough, what with the recession and all, so there's not much money to go around. Still, Annie dreams of going to Harvard Law, and with the loving support of her parents(and what money they can spare), she's working her way through her bachelor's at the local university.

With her LSAT exam approaching, she's been hard-pressed to find time to study, but money takes precedence over sleep. After all, she knows what happens when people get student loans - lord knows how long her parents spent paying theirs off. The night shift pays well enough, and Annie figures that she might as well take her books along with her. Every second she gets to study will help her on the test.

The one, the only, Vancho!
12-04-2014, 04:47 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 04:49 AM by insanityIncarnate.)
Name: Ezekiel "Zeke" Deuston

Appearance: Abnormally tall. Dark dyed-purple hair in an unusual, messy style. Thin-framed, but not quite gangly. Slightly pale. Mostly just wears a blue hoodie and grey track pants 'cause they're comfy. Only pair of sneakers are pretty tattered by now. Wears a permanent smirk.

Bio: Zeke is something of a troublemaker. His bad attitude and pointless dickery means he doesn't have a lot of friends, and his parents have finally gotten fed up enough with him to cut off any income from them. Not that he seems to care. So, I guess he has to go get a job. This one. Fancy that.
Zeke tends to enjoy acts of unprovoked annoyance, and generally distances himself from "life" and "the world" at large. Hopeless layabout, and currently homeless.

Nobody ever bothers getting to know him any better than that, so why should he tell you?
12-04-2014, 08:04 AM
Name: John H. Smith
Appearance: Ordinary 9-5 working human complete with real-life action shave-able five o'clock shadow. Clean clothes, average height, blue eyes, healthy skin tone, black hair, totally not a robot.
Bio: John was made to have a job... like any other human.

John was made to learn about human life and human culture... like any other human.

John is supposed to be the first in a line of experimentJohn is an ordinary human and totally not an escaped experimental android designed to replace human workforces, that has no idea what to do with his programming so he gets a job in a remote location where no one will ever suspect him and adopt a human identity so technically he isn't replacing anyone as much as he is actually working for himself... like any other human.

John is a human. Like you.

12-04-2014, 08:24 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 11:27 AM by Purple Walrus.)
Name: Chesnokov Yeremey Danilovich
Appearance: A thirty something man. Has a thick black moustache and bushy eyebrows that almost cover his eyes. He is built like a brick shithouse, with big meaty arms to match. Though it is clear he missed leg day. Mostly wears plaid shirts and overalls. Always wears a cowboy hat, he think's it makes him look more american.

Bio: Chesnokov is quite the stoic type. He isn't the brightest, but he has determination. Whatever job you give him he will try to be the very best at it. No matter if he understand it or not.
Back in old country, Chesnokov was a hardworking woodsmen. Back then he used to chop down big trees in the clear mountain air. In fact he would still be their right now if it wasn't for his mother insisting that he go to america, and try to make a new life for himself. Loving his mother he did just that. He has tried to fit in with other americans, like saying american sounding things when talking and buying a cowboy hat. Now after recently getting his green card, he has gone to Gas-N-Go for his first job. Since it seems there are no work for woodmen's in america.
12-04-2014, 08:31 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 09:04 AM by Bramzter.)
Name: Travis Mont├ęgreen.
Appearance: Long lanky and pale, bags under his eyes and dopey green eyes, Including a dark stubble and a mullet hidden under a twisted cap. Travis looks like a typical slacker who lives in a trailer park, Usually found wearing baggy oil stained pants and a grimy wife beater.. Except in winter where is utterly packed in winter clothes and has that kind of old fake communist Russian ushanka... He is usually smoking.
Bio: According to most, Travis's greatest adversary is his own lazyness. Beffiting a classical slacker, Travis is extremely content with going from dead end job to dead end job preferably while high. He dropped a technical education and has retained enough technical skills to be a capable mechanic. Travis is however very determined when he is actually intrested in acomplishing things, For example is close to getting a towtruck license.

He has applied to gas-n-go for a job (preferably as mechanic) to continue paying off student loans...and perhaps start a tiny bit funding his own plans for his own towing buisiness eventually.
12-04-2014, 09:32 AM
Name: Joshua Anderson
Appearance: A young man in his 20's. he stands around 6' 0" with his brown hair in a short unkempt mess. He keeps his beard trimmed to about a 1/8 inch around his chin and face. He typically wears jeans, some random t-shirt, and a black coat topped off with a black fedora. He is fairly lean and somewhat muscly.
Bio: Some gamer trying to make his way in the world with his trusty mutt at his side (well, usually sitting at home but today it's in his car). Joshua lives with his parents and is supposed to be paying them a small amount of rent but he hasn't actually gotten off his butt to try for it long enough so when this job just seemed to magically land in his lap via a suggestion from a friend one day he went for it.
He will attempt to spend as much time as possible dicking around playing games and/or listening to music on his phone and avoiding making friends.

... if that makes sense.
12-04-2014, 10:30 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 10:33 AM by dalmationer.)
Name: Bethany Crunchflank.
Appearance: Goth. Short and stout. Black hair with a single purple streak. Wears lots of make up. Kind of round face. She has a cameraphone.
Bio: Kind of a goth. Grandparents immigrated from Pakistan, changed their last name to Crunchflank after bear wrestling contest. Loves ghosts. Wants to prove they exist. Can piledrive a horse. Wants to kiss girls. Her favourite food is steak bridies. Got a job to pay for shit. She heard the place was haunted, wants to prove it. Studies catering. Wants to kiss ghost girls.
12-04-2014, 11:20 AM
Name: Sarah Williams

Appearance: Sarah is short, pale, and somewhat thin. Her brown eyes sport bags beneath them that betray a likely unhealthy sleep schedule. She wears little to no makeup to work and keeps her medium-length hair pulled back into a ponytail. She doesn't look slobbish, but it's clear that looks aren't at the top of her life priorities. She tends to wear dark, cool colors, but this detail probably won't matter since there's likely to be a work uniform anyways.

Bio: If you were to sum up Sarah with a single word, that word would be 'timid.' Not the "cute" type of timid that you see in a lot of fiction, no, rather, Sarah's timidity is somewhat different. She's not afraid to casually socialize, but when it comes to taking on challenges, Sarah refuses to believe she can accomplish them. As such, she's been called many things by her ambitious, well-off parents, including 'bum', 'settler', 'lazy', and she's come to somewhat take the statements to heart. And so, despite having an natural skill and interest in painting, Sarah has never tried to capitalize on it for fear of failure. To preoccupy her mind and forget that she's wasting her life, she's become an avid consumer of fiction and media, and her particular favorites tend to be horror.
She's currently splitting an apartment with a room-mate and old friend who has been happy to foot most the rent. Though she took care of the majority of housework, guilt (and nagging subconscious voices of her parents) got to her enough that she decided to get a job to help out with the bills. Sarah notable possessions are a computer, a bicycle, an extendable self-defense baton hidden in the bottom of her purse, and a rather old used car that sometimes refuses to start for her. When it happens she is consistently frightened that she's in the start of a horror film, though she'd never admit it.
12-04-2014, 12:13 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 12:13 PM by KatoHearts.)
Okay wow, that's a lot of apps and I'll be honest they're all fantastic, except that one. Yeah that one. I wasn't really expecting this many so there will be a slight change of plans. Basically everyone will be around for the first night and, if that doesn't immediately kill me, from then on we'll have shifts of four people made up of either whoever wants in or decided randomly. Each night shouldn't run too long so hopefully everyone will get to play as much as they want.
12-04-2014, 12:18 PM
What's wrong with my app you huge jerk
12-04-2014, 12:35 PM
Name: Rachel Armstrong

Appearance: Mid twenties, sort of medium height with green eyes and short red hair. Pale and sporting a few freckles. Typically wears whatever's clean and has no sort of day to day outfit, though shows up for her first shift in a short sleeve button up shirt and jeans. Almost always has a smile on her face and is quick to bring up a phone, book, or game whenever she's bored.

Bio: Rachel is the daughter of a well off, if busy, business couple with two older siblings. As such, she's never really wanted for much and tends to be surprised whenever things don't easily work out for her. However, she has had a sense of work ethic installed in her - her parents make sure she wants for little, but have always demanded that she at least make an effort to make her own way in the world. As such, she's decided to pick up this low-key, easy job as a way to get her foot in the door.
12-04-2014, 12:45 PM
Oh calm down kocel, I was joking about gallo's app.
12-04-2014, 10:40 PM
How high maintenance is this game? I'm considering joining.
12-05-2014, 08:10 AM
Hopefully it won't be high maintenance at all. I might go mad otherwise.
12-05-2014, 08:19 AM
Should be interesting, having so many people.
Good luck to all involved. Particularly you, Kato.
12-05-2014, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2014 03:57 PM by Yewchung.)
Alright, for various reasons, (two similarly named characters, gender imbalance, my not wanting to play Joshua that much), I have swapped out my character app above. Say hello to Nauje.

Sorry if this has horribly ruined your two-Joshua plans, Kato.
12-06-2014, 04:01 AM
Okay so, it looks like the game is starting possibly today, most definitely not saturday, and at the very worst sunday. Schedules, what can you do?
12-06-2014, 04:23 AM
Considering this is a forum game and not reliant on meeting up on skype, I'd say don't worry about schedules mate.

12-06-2014, 09:39 AM
Just don't get TOO sporadic with updates. Give people time to catch up if they have to take care of something or are unavailable for a few hours. : P
12-07-2014, 06:04 AM
Sorry for joining in late. Here it goes:

Name: Ashton "Asher" Swain

Appearance: 5'10" Pale skinned, a bit gaunt looking. Shaggy black hair brushed to the side but it's cover mostly with a beanie depicting some sorta skull and crossbones. Also wears a light hoodie in any weather, it's always black. Wears straight-skinny jeans that consists between dark blue and grey. Also converse. He keeps a pair of off brand headphones around his neck most of the time as well. Always wear converse shoes.
Bio: Asher is the most "exciting person ever." He is the type of person who will go home and just listen to music for hours on end and then maybe go troll some people on social networking sites, especially Tumblr. He always has that bored, "do i seriously have to out up with you again?" look. Quiet most of the time, but can xarry a conversation if you feel like talking about the government and how messed up it is. Doing who knows what. He also drums for his brother's band on the weekends.
12-07-2014, 07:45 PM
Right, game on. Let's see how quickly I can fuck this up.
12-08-2014, 11:33 AM
Hey, don't push the clock forward, that's my job... Unless you want all of tonight's events to kick off at once?
12-08-2014, 11:34 AM
I thought we were using real time?
12-08-2014, 11:37 AM
My b, what time should it be?
12-08-2014, 11:40 AM
I'm about to move it forward, go with 11:15, if you really must mention a time.
12-08-2014, 11:59 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 11:59 AM by Yewchung.)
By the way, we have an irc now, in case you wanted to keep up or talk OOC constantly or be barraged by people saying "PM'd".

It's #Nightshift on irc.esper.net

Here's a link directly to the IRC.
12-08-2014, 02:54 PM
Aaaaah it started and I didn't even notice.

I don't look at the forums for ONE DAY and this happens.

... if that makes sense.
12-08-2014, 05:25 PM
Fuck how long have I been confusing sarah and rachel? Better fix this.
12-09-2014, 12:05 AM
I was wondering about that, but I had also forgotten that a Sarah actually existed.
12-09-2014, 02:29 AM

12-10-2014, 12:30 AM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2014 12:30 AM by KatoHearts.)
No updates for the next 6 hours or so. Same thing same time Wednesday and Thursday.
12-10-2014, 11:38 AM
I'm sorry if today's updates and pms have been less than stellar. I've had a rather bad day.
12-11-2014, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2014 02:21 PM by KatoHearts.)

I just realized how hard I was railroading.

I am so god damn sorry everyone.

The tv is now much more vulnerable.
12-23-2014, 08:20 PM
Sorry for disappearing. Heading down to see family, game will continue soon.
12-24-2014, 02:45 AM
hug hug. Don't worry about it. It happens.
12-31-2014, 03:58 AM
bump
12-31-2014, 04:12 AM
I'm still in Florida, sorry. I am planning on continuing the game though.
01-12-2015, 02:51 PM
Secondary bump
01-12-2015, 03:04 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2015 03:04 PM by KatoHearts.)
I know. ;-;

If I've learned anything from this it's never lose your rhythm for updates.

Game will be back by tomorrow or not at all.
01-13-2015, 04:43 PM
Right, I sent a pm. That counts.
01-14-2015, 12:54 AM
I did not recieve a pm
01-14-2015, 05:38 AM
Who said it was for you?
01-14-2015, 09:08 AM
Oh....
01-14-2015, 09:17 AM
Yosh, relax man, I'm not quite ready for this to die.
01-14-2015, 09:21 AM
Well, banish it to hell then.
01-14-2015, 09:56 AM
I just decided the game's dead.

Basically between my inexperience, overextending myself with too many players, and too long a break, I can't find it in myself to continue.

See you all next shift.

Whenever that may be.