Proposals - Site Reorganization, Site Adminship, the future~ etc
12-07-2014, 02:54 AM
Proposals - Site Reorganization, Site Adminship, the future~ etc
Simply by looking at the logo, I think anyone can recognize that this site really needs a bit of work. If CPIf is going to continue being affiliated with MSPAF I really think that it needs a number of changes. Here are some of my ideas:

1. Stickied topic introducing members to all forum staff members
- Self explanitory
- the only way people know the staff is via seeing them in action or searching for them in the member list (do we have one?).

2. Another Site Admin
- Changes to the forum are simply not happening as fast as they should, and CPI is preoccupied with real-life work and other forums I believe.
- Having another admin would mean the forum could get these changes and have an authority that is actually present.

3. The quote button
- okay, this is minor, but Im going to do a quick photoshop and make a Quote + & Quote - button so it looks consistent with the theme

4. Forum Board names and organization
- Our most popular board is Other Games, and despite it covering a whole lot of games, its just given a off-to-the-side title. Id say we should order it ahead of the dying Mafia forum board and rename it to General Games or something.
- Similar case for Life, The Universe... Its a terrible title for a general chat board (dont get me wrong I love Douglas). General Chat would read much more clearly to users, and it naturally should be ordered ahead of Gaming discussion because its a much broader forum

5. The logo
- (*cough*)

If these changes arent going to be processed anytime soon, Im going to suggest that we start looking at merging with Eagle Time and possibly speaking with MSPAF about changing the affiliate link to Eagle Time. Originally Eagle and Choco were the two major contestants for this position because it meant that the affiliate would receive all the traffic from MSPAF's community interested in forum games. While Eagle Time is still being actively monitored and groomed, CPIF is simply not holding up its end of the bargain.

This was a polarizing issue back then, so if we choose to go with the latter we will also have to communicate with Eagle Time's forumbase about their interest in the subject and such before communicating with MSPAF staff about this proposed change. We need the input of the community to prove to them that it is in the best of interest for all parties.

Point being, MSPAFers deserve to be linked to a healthy forum, and we deserve a healthy forum ourselves.

Discuss.
12-07-2014, 03:34 AM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2014 03:35 AM by ICan'tGiveCredit.)
RE: Proposals - Site Reorganization, Site Adminship, the future~ etc
Maybe the MSPAf link to chocpi should also include the newest post on the site? So people would know that it's active.

Q:

I thought this is a healthy forum?

How is eagle-time being well-tended to and groomed if ET does not have the affiliate link.

Why is there not a Chocpi irc chat? Perhaps newcomers to ET end up registering to ET because they wound up in the eagletime irc chat and liked it?

Edited for Readability and Preservation of Sanity - The Revolution - OP - Chapter 1/2 - Chapter 2/2 (missing maps) - Chapter 2 - Chapter 3 (Ongoing) - Chat
12-07-2014, 04:10 AM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2014 04:10 AM by Palamedes.)
A:

I believe Amos means that we don't attract much of a userbase - it's mostly the same old people kicking around with a new person coming in every now and then. Thus, when we do lose people we're not really replenishing them with new blood.

The affiliate link means very little (in terms of what your asking).

No idea. I think #mspafia was sort of it for a while but vOv.

I'm generally for this idea - and I definitely think that there's value in trying to attract more people than the occasional curious person. Never really minded the Simpl. but yeah I guess we could change it to be more enticing.
12-07-2014, 06:22 AM
If we want a CPI IRC then we need an admin to make it readily accessible which loops back to the issue that we cant administrate the site or really manage it while Pi is busy.

Eagle is healthy because the admins regularly take care of it and all parts of the forum are active. Merging the communities (which are already deeply linked from their history as MSPAF games) would increase playerbase for games meaning larger games can run without hiccups, for example.

EagleTime also has a soul, whereas CPI forums is currently a Simpl. Theme husk.

Eagle doesnt have the affiliate link because CPI got it. There wasnt really much discussion behind it, and lo and behold only one of the two forums is really running to speed.

Also worth noting: Eagle Time isnt tied to a commercial body or the name of a particular user.

Think of it this way:
Our 'community' exists on Eagle-Time, Fantasy Strike Forums, GMC forums and here.
If you could pick one to play forum games at, which would you choose?
Because CPI is the least attractive choice and its not going to change unless something is done to the forums.
12-07-2014, 06:27 AM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2014 06:31 AM by amosmyn.)
Would really like some input from users on other forum boards. Roleplay and General Games probably have their own opinions on this topic.

Eagle Time wasnt originally supportive of Homestuck culture for example, but Im sure that their community wouldnt object to merging the roleplaying community. General games should be a natural fit on the other hand, but being the most active CPI community perhaps its not in their best interests.

Edit: if anyones worried about losing their topics, i believe Eagle Time has a post scraper for importing old topics.
12-07-2014, 07:47 AM
I was very sceptical about an Exodus to another forum, but then I read some of the posts in the darkness land or what have you, anD I WAS LAUGHING FOR LIKE 15 MINUTES. Also Credit, how are you on every forum with 1000+ posts? Are you secretly a forum God? Are you accepting worship at this time?

More seriously, I only have 2 Questions at this time:
-How will transferring everyone to another forum help this one? If (almost) everyone just leaves the forum, that will be the final blow to destroying this land. And although I haven't been here for too long, I don't really want to see this forum take its last breath quite yet.
-If we do leave to another forum, we should plan for some sort of a date range, and make a regroup thread on the Eagle Time forum. When would leaving Chocolate Pi be planned?

(Ignore above and below if it is decided to stay at Chocolate Land.)

Also, If everyone abandons this forum, it should go down with a bang. Someone important should contact mods of MSPAforums and Eagle Time forums and change the affiliated forum [on MSPA] to Eagle Time. And maybe Chocolate Pi should be informed that he's being abandoned (if he still exists).
12-07-2014, 10:01 AM
I am training disciples in my own quaint little Church of Madness in the outback. You must provide your own hallucinogenic drugs, the seminar is at 6 in the Hall of the Hellborn. So yes, we are accepting new recruits.

I would actually pick Here. 2nd choice would be ET. I don't like the rest, actually.

There is currently only one Forum-Game running on ET (that isn't a Grand Battle). Black Zenith Adventure. And the last time they got a player was 7 many months ago. ET is more for IRC games (and Grand Battles but those last a reallllyyyy long time with not much progress.) There is the occasional Godhood game and/or mafia but those die all too often.

If ChocolatePi /is/ in fact being abandoned, the 100 dollars that Drillgorg is currently donating to maintain this forum every year would go to Eagle-time. I wouldn't like for this to happen because I genuinely like this forum.

Edited for Readability and Preservation of Sanity - The Revolution - OP - Chapter 1/2 - Chapter 2/2 (missing maps) - Chapter 2 - Chapter 3 (Ongoing) - Chat
12-07-2014, 11:22 AM
I'll let peeps more straight-up affiliated with Eagletime respond re: the whole merging/moving the affiliation ideas, but I more'r'less agree with your assessment Amos, this forum definitely needs more attention than it's currently getting.

It's been more or less on autopilot since the month after its creation which was when we were supposed to review admin/mod privileges and whatnot but then that somehow never happened? I'm not entirely sure myself.

Anyway, your suggestions are a pretty good start! I think I already mentioned this in Carnegie's thread but if anyone else has ideas for how we can spruce this place up and get it into proper shape (because I agree with Credit, I do like this forum and would like for it to thrive) please post 'em!
12-07-2014, 12:07 PM
In all honesty, from what I've seen of FSF it seems too srs bsns mafias for me, and I know nothing about GMC.

That said I don't think it's necessarily a good idea to just merge all the forums, but at the same time I'm for giving this one more of an identity besides 'lots of non-mafia games'. I'd certainly be willing to contribute as I'm pretty invested in our community (obviously) and would like to see it grow.
12-07-2014, 12:27 PM
Apologies in advance if this is badly formatted. I had to type this on my phone.

I was kind of out of the loop when games got moved here from MSPA. I knew it was happening and I just waited for a decision to be made. I just came over here when this forum was chosen. I had no idea that Eagle Time was even a thing.

Another Exodus is insanely dangerous. I know nothing about Eagle Time, but I do know that it's another forum people will have to register and make accounts on and integrate themselves into the people who are already there. People WILL be lost in an exodus, even if the majority follows over. It is amazing that so much of the MSPA community survived from last time and I'd rather not tempt fate again.

I was never sure if that Simpl logo was a joke, the name of some sort of parent site, or the default logo. I guess I know now. The easiest way to fix it is probably just to use or rework Chocolate Pi's Avatar. I always thought it would fit perfectly.

Which goes into the point about admins, since we need another site admin to make things actually happen. I'm all for that, and I'm sure we have a mod or two around here who won't immediately go mad with power.

I mostly stick around "Other Games" and wouldn't be opposed to renaming it. That never seemed like a good name.

The quote function seems mostly fine. It confused me at first, but I think it's actually really good.
12-07-2014, 12:33 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2014 12:37 PM by ICan'tGiveCredit.)
(12-07-2014 12:27 PM)WillyDeWulfe Wrote:  The quote function seems mostly fine. It confused me at first, but I think it's actually really good.

Better than MSPA's even. You don't have to copy/paste and choose when and in what order quotes would appear in the post you're making.

The logo reminds you of Occam's Razor when playing mafia ;)

12-07-2014, 12:54 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2014 12:59 PM by Coldblooded.)
You guys are getting about several miles ahead of yourselves here. Eagle Time is most likely never going to replace the ChocoPi forums for the Simpl reason that a majority of Eagle Timers have next to no interest in being affiliated with the MSPA Forums at all, and especially not as a board marketed primarily as a gaming/roleplay forum. And even if they hypothetically were interested in any of that, I actually don't see any of the problems here as being pronounced enough that another mass exodus would actually accomplish anything positive at all.

But that being said though, proposals 1-5 are all very solid suggestions, and I think that working on solving the problems directly in front of us is a lot more productive of a conversation than just talking about abandoning it altogether. That's like, a doomsday level type conversation, not a "we need a new logo" type conversation.

Tumblr/Steam
12-07-2014, 01:11 PM
(12-07-2014 07:47 AM)Reyweld Wrote:  More seriously, I only have 2 Questions at this time:
-How will transferring everyone to another forum help this one? If (almost) everyone just leaves the forum, that will be the final blow to destroying this land. And although I haven't been here for too long, I don't really want to see this forum take its last breath quite yet.
-If we do leave to another forum, we should plan for some sort of a date range, and make a regroup thread on the Eagle Time forum. When would leaving Chocolate Pi be planned?

(Ignore above and below if it is decided to stay at Chocolate Land.)

Also, If everyone abandons this forum, it should go down with a bang. Someone important should contact mods of MSPAforums and Eagle Time forums and change the affiliated forum [on MSPA] to Eagle Time. And maybe Chocolate Pi should be informed that he's being abandoned (if he still exists).

There are no plans to leave CPI per say, but i'm sure if we actually chose to change forums then we would have to do our best to make the transition as smooth as possible for both parties. The only board that isn't ingrain with CPI seems to be the Mafia board from what I can tell, so I'm sure a transition would be a little shakey.

I'm not sure Eagle Time wants to take the MSPA affiliation. Apparently I may have been mistaken about that? All I know was that it was a talked-about topic. In any case, speaking with MSPAF about the affiliations would only be justifiable if both forums agreed on it, and I'm not sure that's going to happen.

(12-07-2014 10:01 AM)ICantGiveCredit Wrote:  I would actually pick Here. 2nd choice would be ET. I don't like the rest, actually.

There is currently only one Forum-Game running on ET (that isn't a Grand Battle). Black Zenith Adventure. And the last time they got a player was 7 many months ago. ET is more for IRC games (and Grand Battles but those last a reallllyyyy long time with not much progress.) There is the occasional Godhood game and/or mafia but those die all too often.

It was a hypothetical choice under the assumption that you had never played on any of the forums.

Perhaps the topic of activity is a bit subjective as it kind of hinges on whether the forumbase is doing exams, etc.. because there are still games running there, just not ones getting updated.

(12-07-2014 11:22 AM)Mirdini Wrote:  I'll let peeps more straight-up affiliated with Eagletime respond re: the whole merging/moving the affiliation ideas, but I more'r'less agree with your assessment Amos, this forum definitely needs more attention than it's currently getting.

Yeah, merging is definitely not CPIF's business.

(12-07-2014 12:07 PM)Palamedes Wrote:  That said I don't think it's necessarily a good idea to just merge all the forums, but at the same time I'm for giving this one more of an identity besides 'lots of non-mafia games'. I'd certainly be willing to contribute as I'm pretty invested in our community (obviously) and would like to see it grow.

This makes me wonder what things would be like if we just got a new host going and used a fresh forum.
I've actually admin'd a forum before and know my way around modifying the code for these things; it's totally doable if that's what people want.

But if we can fix this one up that'd be great too. Heck, maybe it should be rebranded.

(12-07-2014 12:27 PM)WillyDeWulfe Wrote:  The quote function seems mostly fine. It confused me at first, but I think it's actually really good.

There's nothing wrong with it (in fact it's amazing), I just want to make the graphics look consistent with the rest of the theme.
12-07-2014, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2014 01:17 PM by amosmyn.)
(12-07-2014 12:54 PM)Coldblooded Wrote:  But that being said though, proposals 1-5 are all very solid suggestions, and I think that working on solving the problems directly in front of us is a lot more productive of a conversation than just talking about abandoning it altogether. That's like, a doomsday level type conversation, not a "we need a new logo" type conversation.

If this forum is going to develop it needs an identity of its own.
I for one was pretty much planning on abandoning the forum because it just feels like nobody cares enough about it.
It's nice seeing that people really do like the community here, but yeah, tired of the Simpl life.

The Eagle Time thing was intended as a hypothetical situation and obviously I didn't know enough about it until it looked into detail about it on their forums and got Schaz's input.

So yeah, lets just put this straight; we're not having a mass exodus to Eagle Time because that wouldn't work, frankly.
Certain communities, such as the mafia forums, perhaps would benefit from it, but yeah, we need to find something that works and we need more control over this website.

Nagging CPI about it might be the best place to start.
12-07-2014, 01:46 PM
I agree on the rebranding. We need to have some colour and fun in here. Heck maybe even have a funny mascot or something, anything really. So when people over at MSPA click the link here, they are not bored off by the bland design.

We need them to stay and look around a bit.
12-07-2014, 02:00 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2014 02:01 PM by ICan'tGiveCredit.)
(12-07-2014 01:46 PM)Purple Walrus Wrote:  I agree on the rebranding. We need to have some colour and fun in here. Heck maybe even have a funny mascot or something, anything really.

this will segue into PW's acting career as the Chocolate Walrus, the new face of Chocolatepi forums

Assuming Chocpi is extremely busy, we'd have to bug him about giving someone admin status. He will decide that, if not, we nominate some people and he picks from those nominated. If he can't nominate, we vote, with the vote requiring a certain amount of people with a "lot" of posts to vote (as those who are affected are those active, yes?). Of course, more than 1 person can be picked.

Various things that need changing will then be discussed with the admin(s). If it sounds like a good idea, it's put into place. Topics that will affect everyone will need a lot of people to voice their opinion. The voting/nomination process is to put someone in place who can make these changes for us rather than having to keep bugging Chocpi each time.

There is obviously some flaw in this process somewhere. If there is, please voice it or create a more streamlined one so we don't all look silly later <:D

12-07-2014, 02:00 PM
I couldn't agree more, what this place really needs is a friendly chocolate-themed mascot on every single page, preferably in dancing gif form, a la old geocity sites. Maybe we could possibility use the bat or the squirrel from Foodfight?

Tumblr/Steam
12-07-2014, 02:03 PM
(12-07-2014 02:00 PM)Coldblooded Wrote:  I couldn't agree more, what this place really needs is a friendly chocolate-themed mascot on every single page, preferably in dancing gif form, a la old geocity sites. Maybe we could possibility use the bat or the squirrel from Foodfight?

And they'll require flash so that they'll be like those annoying ads you see on most websites. Except it'll serve as a utility. If your computer slows down, you'll be around more to appreciate the gif in slow motion! :o

12-07-2014, 03:00 PM
I think if we're going to elect people to take up admin/moderator duties on the forums here we should probably get the community involved. Perhaps folks could nominate people they're interested in (other than themselves) via PM, followed by PM's to the nominees asking if they're interested in the position followed by votes. After we figure out what sort of Staffing the forums need.

So yeah, first order of business will be to sort out the staffing issue, then we can talk about home renovations.
12-07-2014, 04:17 PM
Some rebranding is probably in order, though if memory serves there used to be a non-generic header that just disappeared during an earlier crash. I'd totally be up for seeing a new logo, and most of your suggestions seem like common sense. Perhaps we could have a logo design competition?
12-07-2014, 05:05 PM
I'd totally be down for that!
I think we've got enough artists kickin' around for it. :)
12-08-2014, 07:42 AM
Quote:Our 'community' exists on Eagle-Time, Fantasy Strike Forums, GMC forums and here.
If you could pick one to play forum games at, which would you choose?

I say here, and that's why I'm in support of these changes. I'd love to see these forums really become something, even outside of Forum Games themselves.

and now, hunger does what sorrow could never do
website | @tehpilot
12-11-2014, 02:06 PM
This dude did a much better job at saying what I wanted to say, so hooray, thank you for making this topic, amosmyn
12-12-2014, 06:35 AM
Alright, Im going to speak with CPI whenever I get the chance. Perhaps along with Mirdini or someone who wants to volunteer. We'll discuss the proposals related to administration and go from there.
Once we know what we can do, I think we should hold an election for staff positions.

Just to make things go by faster, would anyone object if I or a current staff member took the admin position until the elections pass? I just figure it would be easier than going through ChocolatePi with proposals and waiting until he's ready to change permissions.
12-12-2014, 10:42 AM
I don't see why that would be a problem.
12-13-2014, 07:28 AM
That's fine by me.
12-30-2014, 06:23 AM
Okay, I sent CPI an email.
12-31-2014, 05:51 AM
I for one welcome our new overlord.
12-31-2014, 08:05 AM
And so begins his reign of terror benevolence and nothing bad why would you even think I think that please spare me.
12-31-2014, 09:12 AM
Oh hey this is neat.

For my first trick I will turn everyone into a ricecake I mean give me a bit of time and I'll start getting things done as we've discussed.
12-31-2014, 06:52 PM
Might I suggest that you make this thread a global sticky, seeing as I only noticed it because the order of the forum directory was changed?

I'm glad to see we're talking about the elephant in the room, though. This place needs to be run less like a refugee camp for disaffected MSPAFers and more like a business of its own, otherwise we'll end up starved of new users. I would not be terribly eager to have to migrate to a new community every year, so whoever can keep this ship afloat without trying to chuck me off has my support.
12-31-2014, 07:07 PM
Im going to be making a new thread for the administrative queue at some point and probably field some more questions regarding the forum here in addition to what we've discussed.

Id rather have a fresh thread than reuse this ol' one.
01-01-2015, 04:25 AM
(12-31-2014 07:07 PM)amosmyn Wrote:  Id rather have a fresh thread than reuse this ol' one.

Clearly a liberal/radical/intellectual.

Thanks for taking the helm amos. Big commitment.

bring back the apple emoticon

"We love eloquence for its own sake, and not for any truth which it may utter, or any heroism it may inspire."
-Henry David Thoreau
01-02-2015, 01:41 PM
(01-02-2015 12:55 PM)amosmyn Wrote:  Some thoughts on the matter:

We coooould have two administrators, but if that were the case we would simply have one less Super Moderator because we really don't need that many administrators. The point would be to allow another member to have access to the control panel without putting all the pressure on one person. Personally, if I were to end up staying admin I really wouldn't mind that but only if I fully trust whomever took that position.

I think the mafia subforum would appreciate a new forum moderator particularly in the interest of balancing a new game queue, but I don't think it's totally necessary either. The General Games section would probably appreciate it more, and at that rate, maybe the fix would just to get that new Super Moderator vacancy filled.

I think it depends...having a separate forum moderator for mafia and general games would let them devote more of their energy to handling that specific subforum, which if things get complicated/busy could be very important. I guess it depends on how busy we think those forums (and others that a supermod would have to watch) would be? Or maybe on whether someone whose sole administrative purpose is to deal with stuff on that subforum (so that anything to do with that subforum has a specific person to be directed to) is worthwhile?

NOTE - amos's post was in the "Staffing on CPI" thread but I didn't really want to reply there and clutter it up so I figured this would be the place to post it. It personally makes more sense to me to have somebody who's specifically responsible for those subforums (maybe even one person for both of them?) but yeah.