Gas-N-Go: Clocking In
12-07-2014, 07:44 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2014 07:54 PM by KatoHearts.)
Gas-N-Go: Clocking In

It's about as unremarkable as you'd expect.

The pumps are rusted, the pavements are cracked, and the sign has seen better days but it still proudly proclaims, in green neon, "GAS-N-GO!".

Here it stands, one little blip of civilization in so many miles of nothing.

It probably doesn't get that much business but tonight, I think, it will see its fair share of people.

Yesterday you received a phone call, from who you could only assume was Management, telling you that you had the job and to report to a training shift tonight 10:00 PM sharp.

The current time is 9:45 PM.

Shift's End is 6:00 AM.

Let's All Have A Productive Evening.

12-08-2014, 12:37 AM
RE: Gas-N-Go: Clocking In
John Smith arrived at 9:59.59PM sharp!

John always arrives just on time!

Exactly on time.

Like any other human.

12-08-2014, 02:20 AM
Rachel shows up at 9:45, eager to make sure she doesn't lose her new job on the first day.
12-08-2014, 02:54 AM
Bethany appeared at 10:05 pm, with a bag full of shitty dollar-store occult merchandise, tacky skull Jewellery and left-over halloween sweets.
12-08-2014, 03:30 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 04:51 AM by Bramzter.)
Travis finishes his smoke outside far away from the pumps, He walks in at 10:07.
12-08-2014, 04:02 AM
Chesnokov had arrived at 9:47 Pm. He really wanted to show that he was ambitious to work here, and had already started stacking shelves.
12-08-2014, 04:48 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 04:50 AM by KatoHearts.)
10:10 PM
The inside of the station is surprisingly modern. Along the back wall are the coolers, which appear to be efficient, given the layer of frost across the glass. On the left are three long aisles of snacks, automotive products, and other useful necessities. Along the south and east walls are various souvenirs as well as an ice cream freezer. In the back left is a hallway, probably leading to the bathrooms and the back of the coolers. On the right is the cashier's counter, surprisingly open, where a greasy headed fellow fiddles with a small television. In the back right are a coffee machine, a hotdog roller, and a slushy machine with an out of order sign it.

Trevor puts the remote down and sighs. He tries calling Jerry, half of the usually punctual Night Shift. No answer, again. He looks around the store, which is weirdly busy tonight. First, this cute redhead showed up, with her dad? Maybe? Big dude either way. He had some kind of issue with the candy, though. Snatched a whole box of Hershey bars off the counter and started shelving them. Trevor would have said something but, you know, dude's pretty swole. Then this black haired guy showed up, seems a bit up tight, but at least he's better than the emo couple that came in not long after. Probably going to steal some shit. He calls up Benny, another Day Shifter, who's dicking around in the break room again.

Dude, you got Carter's number?

Yeah?

Call'em up and see where the fuck they are.

I would, if he hadn't left his phone back here like a dumb ass.

God dammit, let's just go.

A'ight

Trevor taps the bell on the counter.

All right folks, we gotta close up, it doesn't look like the night shift is going to bother to show up.
12-08-2014, 04:57 AM
"Wait..Hey bud. Who is like.. The management here?"
12-08-2014, 05:01 AM
"But I thought we were the night shift? We were told to come here at 10 o'clock sharp."

12-08-2014, 05:04 AM
"Yeah, Exactly man!.. Probably why that guy is stacking shit or something..

Hershey's taste like crap when you have the munchies man"
12-08-2014, 05:06 AM
Like, most senior employee? That'd be me. Or do you mean the owner? Because I'm not calling them up right now.

Wait, who's "We"? Are all you assholes on the night shift?
12-08-2014, 05:07 AM
"This isn't tryouts?"
12-08-2014, 05:10 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 05:14 AM by Purple Walrus.)
Chesnokov turns his head as he puts another boxes of candies on the top shelf.

"Da. We do the night shiftings."
12-08-2014, 05:16 AM
"This is our first day, we were all told to come here. It is night and you are day shift and you are about to leave. I thought that made us night shift by default. Are we not?"

12-08-2014, 05:24 AM
Sarah's off in a corner, cleaning a window or something. She showed up five minutes early. She looks over to the people speaking occasionally.
12-08-2014, 05:25 AM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 04:59 PM by KatoHearts.)
What the hell are you talking about? Who tries out for a shitty night shift job?

Benny, the spiky haired loser, finally wanders out of the break room.

What's going on?

These guys are all night shift apparently.

Night shift gets girls and more people? What the fuck.

Yeah, well, I have to call Management now.

Ha, better you than me.

Trevor reaches under the counter and pulls out a green rotary phone.

Fuck, how do you work this...Eh fuck it, let's just go. Not our problem right?

But... Yeah, let's get going. Yeah, it's not like we're getting paid.

Trevor pull a backpack from under the counter.

We out, don't burn the place down.

Benny flashes a smile at Rachel.

Laters.

The pair head out the door, and get into a dinged up old civic.

A door opens in the back of the store and a blond haired teenager, wearing the station uniform, walks out. She looks to be about eighteen.

Whew, thought they'd never leave. I'm Casey, welcome to the night shift everyone. Oh, I'm also contractually obligated to welcome you to the Gas-N-Go family but that's a big mess so if anyone asks, I did.
12-08-2014, 05:28 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 05:29 AM by Galloglasses.)
"Greetings." John Smith looks awkward without anyone telling him what to do. He eyes the counter and goes to attend the cashier. "So we are to do work now?"

12-08-2014, 05:35 AM
"So.. No tryouts? I was expecting some kind of battle royal of applications and stuff"

"..Shit ya'll look more qualified"
12-08-2014, 05:37 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 05:37 AM by Purple Walrus.)
Chesnokov looked at Casey.

"Nice to be meetings you. I am Chesnokov Yeremey Danilovich. I am good worker. And love America. Yes." He said trying to sound American
12-08-2014, 05:37 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 05:38 AM by insanityIncarnate.)
Zeke puts a hand over his eyes and peers in the window of the joint.
He was pretty late at this point, but hey, who could blame him? He had to walk almost 3 miles to get here.

10:15PM was pretty reasonable in that case, right?
Oh, who cares. He'd probably get fired on his first week again anyways and have to go hunting down a job somewhere else they hadn't heard of him yet.
He was running out of those.

Bunch of happy campers in there. Pretty crowded. Looked like two of them were checking out already.
He knocks on the window and gives a thumbs up, grinning.
12-08-2014, 05:56 AM
"I am Travis, Soo why did you have beef with those guys? The day shift?"
12-08-2014, 05:58 AM
Well, we could start now, but I think we have more people coming. Management told me there were eleven of you actually. Oh there's one now, Zeke, I think.

Casey scratches her chin for a second.

I guess I could teach you how to use the register. John, could you open the safe under the counter? It's 19-11-15.

And, I don't have an issue with day shift, they're just assholes.
12-08-2014, 06:16 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 06:32 AM by Yewchung.)
Nauja looked up from sketching in her notebook, noticing that she was already a bit late. Eh, not that big a deal. Walking around to the front of the station, she noticed some purple-haired guy at the window, looking all kinds of sketch.

"Hey, you here for the night shift as well? Is the door locked?"
12-08-2014, 06:17 AM
"Inside the safe are a set of scales, a shotgun, an assortment of shells and another drawer for the cash register." John Smith says exactly and with a professional smile.

12-08-2014, 06:23 AM
"You get burglars a lot?... You know.. cause the shotgun..

So uh.. yeah what can i do? Inventory, Refilling, Repairs or something? Cars can break down at any time, night shift included."
12-08-2014, 06:30 AM
Rachel flashes a smile right back at Benny as he leaves.

Then she looks around the place for a bit until John reports from behind the register. "Whoa seriously?" Rachel gapes for a second before looking over at Casey. "Do you get a lot of trouble here or something? Also, why'd they hire so many of us? Eleven seems like way more than you'd need."
12-08-2014, 06:34 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 06:34 AM by KatoHearts.)
Well, it's better to be safe than sorry, you know, and a lot of people just decide that the night shift's not for them. Management is just casting a wide net I suppose. Anyway, just the scales for now John. They're are for, well, if anyone tries to pay with anything weird. They, well...

Casey reaches over the register and taps a button, causing the drawer to slide open.

Put a dollar on one side, and anything equaling a dollar on the other. You'll see what I mean.
12-08-2014, 06:41 AM
"In weight or value?"
12-08-2014, 06:46 AM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 05:01 PM by KatoHearts.)
Value obviously, what are we going to do with the weight of something in dollars?

Casey waves to Zeke and Nauja.

Good, Nauja's here too.
12-08-2014, 06:47 AM
"..its a scale.. they are used for weighing things?"
12-08-2014, 06:50 AM
Nauja figures that the wave probably means "come in" or something similar, so she opens the door and lets herself in.

"Hey all," she says, taking off her hoodie's hood. "Looks like a pretty crowded shift, huh. What are you guys doing over here?" As she says this, she steps towards the counter.
12-08-2014, 06:51 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 06:55 AM by Galloglasses.)
John Smith frowns. "I was not aware the United States of America practised bartering still. Is not all currency formalized?"

FAERY BULLSHIT SENSE TINGLING

12-08-2014, 07:06 AM
"If we have a gun, can we have other weapons?"

Sarah speaks up from the window she is, by now, unnecessarily cleaning.

"Uh.. Like, say... A baton? Or a can of mace? Not that I'd have one of those. Nope. Because that sort of stuff isn't allowed at other stores so I wouldn't just show up with one."
12-08-2014, 07:10 AM
"So wait, it doesn't work by weight? This I have to see."

Rachel grabs a pack of gum and puts in on one side of the scale. "That work?"
12-08-2014, 07:10 AM
"Why not use a wrench.."

"eh..i mean like its not that we assault our costumer or something.. oh yeah the scales thing... i have a dollar worth of pocket change.. is that okay?"
12-08-2014, 07:14 AM
John Smith places a dollar from the till experimentally on the scale.

12-08-2014, 07:15 AM
Walking in with a large backpack and an uncontrollable yawn, Annie enters the gas station. She sighs and rubs her eyes, groggily looking around for the manager.

"Sorry I'm late. Who's my boss 'round here?"

The one, the only, Vancho!
12-08-2014, 07:15 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 07:18 AM by KatoHearts.)
The scales tip wildy to the right.

Well, you won't need the scales all the time. It's mostly to get the automatic changer working right.

Casey taps the row of cylinders along the front of the register.

Here's how it works, the thing with the unknown value goes first...

She gestures to the gum.

Then the currency you're working with.

The dollar side of the scales slowly tips back to its original position.

And the r.o.e is right here.

She points to a silver number 1 that's etched onto the base of the scales.

Which you put into the automatic changer so it spits out the right change.

Casey looks over to Sarah.

Weapons are fine, Management cares about the safety of its employees.

Casey smiles at Annie.

That'd be me for the moment.
12-08-2014, 07:23 AM
"... i don't have to work the cashiering systems i hope.. I cant math for shit mate."
12-08-2014, 07:25 AM
John Smith can math like a machine!

Even though he is human. Clearly.

"Let me see." John smith operates the cashier system, experimenting with different unknown objects, values and using the automatic change regurgitation.

Boy it sure is useful to have a guy who can think like a machine and do monotonous shit like this!

12-08-2014, 07:36 AM
"Can it be used to measure the value of two different things without money? Like figuring how much gum it would take to pay for, I don't know, a large slushy?"
12-08-2014, 07:56 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 07:57 AM by Yewchung.)
"So what, it's a machine that can check which store item is on each side?" Nauja raises an eyebrow skeptically. She then reaches into her backpack and pulls out a can of spray paint, placing it on one side of the scale.

"Here. This stuff cost, like, six thirty-five. If your scale can 'balance' this, then I'll be really impressed."
12-08-2014, 08:22 AM
"It is fine machine for fine store." Chesnokov said looking at the scales in wonderment.

"This is truly america."
12-08-2014, 08:26 AM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 05:03 PM by KatoHearts.)
10:30

Geez, where's Ashton and Joshua? Hope they're okay...

Casey looks at the growing pile of change. Chiclets, scrubby little cigarettes, two tiny bottles of water.

John make sure you put the change back in the register okay?

She turns towards Rachel.

Yeah you could do that. It doesn't really matter once it's back in the drawer.

Casey picks the can and easily balances it.

Happy?

She tosses the can back to Nauja.

All right, enough of that. I don't know where the other two are but we can't stand around all night.

Casey pulls a list out of her pocket.

This is tonight's to do list. Normally it's by the time clock in the break room. So here's what we have to do.

Attend to the needs of all customers

Mop the floors, wipe down the counters, dust the shelves and clean the store's windows.

Sweep the pump area

Clean and mop both bathrooms and ensure that all sinks and toilets are in working order.

Replace any broken or burnt out lightbulbs.

Take out the trash in the Break Room, Bathrooms, Store and by the pumps. Dumpsters are behind the building.

Make sure the garage is locked and stays that way.

Remove the graffiti on the back of the building.

Restock the shelves near Shift’s End
Not much I know, but we have so many people tonight.

The TV on the counter turns on, blaring static.

And something can always comes up, you know?

She reaches over and presses the power button.

So, we should break into groups and divide up the work. That'd be for the best, I think.
12-08-2014, 08:31 AM
Annie looks briefly at her coworkers, before deciding that she really doesn't care.

"Right. I'll take the windows. Windex is in the back room, right?"

Without waiting for a response, she goes back and grabs a spray bottle of the stuff, as well as one of those window sponges/wipers.

"Y'all take the other stuff, now."

She starts at one corner, absentmindedly spraying and wiping the glass with one eye on her law textbook on the floor.

The one, the only, Vancho!
12-08-2014, 08:33 AM
"I shall attend to cashier duties, this machinery is fascinating."

12-08-2014, 08:34 AM
"Ill do the lights and sweep i guess."
12-08-2014, 08:35 AM
Mops and such, are just inside the store room.

She pulls out a keyring, a real one, none of this pansy three or four keys nonsense. The thing must weigh about two pounds.

You'll need this key.

Casey holds up the needed key.

Who wants to handle it?
12-08-2014, 08:37 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 08:38 AM by Purple Walrus.)
"Da. We work as well oiled machine. Makings work go faster. It is good"

"I will mop floor, till it is clean to eat dinner off!" He said as he grabbed the key.
12-08-2014, 08:38 AM
"Don't actually eat of the floor tho."