Complete Credithunt [Mafia Wins!]
01-04-2015, 04:18 AM
RE: Credithunt [13/13] [D1: Lucky Number Thirteen]
Sup everybody, who's ready to go exploit the working class for personal gain?

Anyway, here's a quick question. When the Thief dies, should they try to target a scum or a townie with their death action? At first glance it might seem like targeting scum with it would be the best move, but actually it could just end up revealing who the Thief is to scum. I guess it probably mostly depends on the game state at the time, but opinions on this anyway?

Also Lynch Mecha_Goomba.

Tumblr/Steam
01-04-2015, 04:31 AM
If there's been no foreclosure attempts then I don't think either is worse. If there's been a recent one then probably better to not activate at all

Lynch: Donut
01-04-2015, 04:38 AM
[b] lynch dC [\/b]
you
01-04-2015, 04:39 AM
lynch dC
formatting is hard
01-04-2015, 05:25 AM
I am sleepy but I am here

Just a warning in advance

[Image: g4osirL.jpg]
01-04-2015, 05:46 AM
Writer we meet again.

Vote: Writer
01-04-2015, 06:08 AM
Vote: musicalMaestro

@Acio & Coldblooded: If there have been recent foreclosures, and then they ended due to a failure, lack of information, or lack of credits, wouldn't that make the mafia likely to be low on credits and/or clueless as to roles? I don't disagree with you, but I think the thief's decision also depends on how early on in the game it is and how many players are alive.
01-04-2015, 06:22 AM
Let us hope that this game does not go the way of the DHI with a flawless scum win.

Vote: Acionyx

In a completely separate note, what is that picture underneath all of your posts AProcrastinatingWriter?

"What is Love?" -- Mc Hammer. You are almost certain MC Hammer said that.
01-04-2015, 06:26 AM
(01-04-2015 06:08 AM)speedchuck Wrote:  Vote: musicalMaestro

@Acio & Coldblooded: If there have been recent foreclosures, and then they ended due to a failure, lack of information, or lack of credits, wouldn't that make the mafia likely to be low on credits and/or clueless as to roles? I don't disagree with you, but I think the thief's decision also depends on how early on in the game it is and how many players are alive.

I think if they've blown the credits on a foreclosure and then lose even more it's good. Also acceptable in that scenario to signal another town as to what you were

Also depends on how many scum you think are alive; the more living the easier they can build up credits and the more value to wiping some out
01-04-2015, 06:28 AM
@Speed: Well, it probably doesn't matter if scum finds out Thief's identity if they're like, the only role that scum knows, but if there's already been a couple claims/successful foreclosures, it might just be better to die silently in that case.

Also I guess CEO might be a good player to target if they've already activated, but I can't imagine that the CEO would live much longer in that case anyway.

But yeah Thief's power is super situational and could be a good or bad idea to use based on the gamestate at the time, and how valuable/scummy the player getting targeted is. I guess it'll probably just have to be a judgement call most of the time?

Tumblr/Steam
01-04-2015, 07:30 AM
Worth noting:

I think assassin and investor are safe claims for day one?

Like ideally hide and all but if getting run up for a lynch then trueclaiming as either of those isn't a huge deal and counterclaiming one is even less

Mainly because it bears mentioning that eliminating at least one scum ASAP hamstrings scum's foreclosure capability by a /lot/ if we get one day one. I don't think sacrifice plays are as vital as they are for DHI but a D1 scumlynch in this setup is incredibly valuable.
01-04-2015, 07:53 AM
I get the point that both assassin and investor are publicly confirmable, but if investor claims D1 then the foreclosure will still be a big possibility. Assassin doesn't have this problem because either they die or a scum dies.
Lynch: Coldblooded
01-04-2015, 09:09 AM
Vote APW

"We love eloquence for its own sake, and not for any truth which it may utter, or any heroism it may inspire."
-Henry David Thoreau
01-04-2015, 10:11 AM
OH MY GOD YOU SUCK DONUT

Lynch: Donut

(will actually read thread in a second)
01-04-2015, 10:41 AM
Alright, so! Regarding what's actually happened here.

Mod question: If the Thief targets someone with no credits, do they know they were targeted by anything or not? (I doubt this changes anything but it does mean targeting a townie you believe to have no credits such as the Investor assuming they give away their daystart credit may not be sound play).

Incidentally, in terms of town targeting the thief would want to aim to target a townie with few credits or whose role is less valuable. An activated CEO or Mortician are good targets in this regard, but as they're liable to get foreclosed the information may end up being lost to town. There's the additional risk of refinancing, especially if they have already figured out who the thief is.

All in all...yeah, judgment call is probably accurate. Particularly since a decent chunk of the discussion is -EV because it might tell scum about a strategy they hadn't thought of. I'd advise the thief to think pretty hard about this in advance so they're not caught with their pants down at night. But you probably already knew that.

Also, do we actually find out about failed foreclosure attempts? We might just get "players X and Y were foreclosed last night" as opposed to a list like "player X was foreclosed as A successfully. Player Z was foreclosed as B unsuccessfully. Player Y was foreclosed as C successfully". And naturally, no NK if they attempted a first foreclosure and failed.

No real suspicions as of yet...although I'd like to qualify that any claim D1 should be an absolute last resort. Rapidly reaching the conclusion that claiming discussion is -EV since it might give scum a better idea of what to fakeclaim, if this is wrong someone please say so! (Oh yeah, also what does -EV actually stand for?). I also need to think a bit more about what people are saying and why, but for now I want to get this post down.

I'd also like to PUBLICLY place a moratorium on doublevoting for the first day unless we are risking a no lynch, and in the case that we do want a doublevote we should try and get the scummiest person on the lynch to do it rather than just having someone go "oh hey i buy a doublevote lol". In particular this lets us try and drain credits from scum in addition to the lynch in a situation where we actually need a doublevote, providing a small silver lining.

Finally, is there any way dead players could attempt to signal with their credit bestowing, and should we discuss dead credit strategy now?
01-04-2015, 11:57 AM
(01-04-2015 10:41 AM)dichotomousCreator Wrote:  No real suspicions as of yet...although I'd like to qualify that any claim D1 should be an absolute last resort. Rapidly reaching the conclusion that claiming discussion is -EV since it might give scum a better idea of what to fakeclaim, if this is wrong someone please say so! (Oh yeah, also what does -EV actually stand for?).

EV stands for Estimated Value (+ or -). I've always thought it was kind of a dumb sounding acronym when could just say pro-town or anti-town, but whatever.

And yeah, it also does bear mentioning that claiming to get out of a lynch in this game is a much better option than it would be in a Dersehunt-type game, especially if you have a confirmable role. Like sure, you may get foreclosed upon sooner, but it's still w very much worth it if it gets town to lynch somebody who's actually scum.

Tumblr/Steam
01-04-2015, 12:13 PM
Pro-town and anti-town aren't exactly the same thing as +EV and -EV: EV is very much a judgement call to determine because it refers to the effects an action will have, while pro-town and anti-town refer to intentions. If you do something -EV because it's the least -EV thing you could do (including doing nothing) you're being pro-town.
01-04-2015, 12:19 PM
Yeah that's probably true. Without going into too much detail, basically if you're a guaranteed foreclosure then yes you might die to the mafia without slowing them down at all but you didn't waste a lynch and if they don't actually have any other foreclosures it still eats a nightkill, even.

Now, dead crediting. I think the best thing here is we can potentially get dead people as a collective to communicate with us through credits? I don't know what they would specifically have to say, but something like getting information from a dead Inspector is a possibility.

Wait, does dead town communicate freely amongst each other mean the dead mafia don't join dead town chat? Does this mean we can do something like "give all your credits to person X if the latest lynch joined dead town chat, or person Y if not" to try and work out if we hit scum? (Logistics-wise we'd want to do something like "split your credits amongst group X if so or group Y if not to prevent nightkills interfering and/or stacking credits on a single mafia member who then lies). Primary downside is people would have to announce having received dead!credits.

In any case for recovering Inspector information we can do "group X if innocent, group Y if guilty, group Z if no reading". Depending on the situation, we may even be able to cross this with determining whether the lynch joined deadtown. Additionally we want to sort this stuff out now so there's no confusion later as to whether we're doing it or not (making assumptions that deadchat listened to us when they actually didn't would be very bad!).

If this is against the spirit of things or like an abuse of game mechanics or something someone please tell me, by the way. I have no interest in doing stuff that mucks up the game in that manner. If it's got the all-clear, it could be a valuable tool for determining how many mafia are left and who was trying to lynch mafia as opposed to townies. I understand it loses SOME value because we now can't try and "trap" the mafia by suddenly going "oh hey we can just ask deadchat", but I *THINK* the added reliability of getting it sorted out and in the open more than makes up for that.
01-04-2015, 12:21 PM
Hi, I'm here too.

I'm still a bit new to all this, having only played a few much smaller, more casual mafia games on a different forum. But I'll try to keep up of course.
01-04-2015, 02:02 PM
dC, that's assuming a lot of co-operation between dead town, and even dead mafia, as well as between the players in this game. Though, if everyone cooperates, and the majority actually conveys information, I am curious as to what the official word on that is. And yes, I think all dead players join the same chat.
01-04-2015, 02:07 PM
I'm here. I have nobody I want to RVS because I usually RVS so this time I won't for a change because no reasons. Nope, none.
01-04-2015, 02:46 PM
(01-04-2015 02:02 PM)speedchuck Wrote:  dC, that's assuming a lot of co-operation between dead town, and even dead mafia, as well as between the players in this game. Though, if everyone cooperates, and the majority actually conveys information, I am curious as to what the official word on that is. And yes, I think all dead players join the same chat.

I'd gotten the impression from "Dead town can communicate freely" and "dead mafia can communicate with live mafia" that dead mafia and dead town can't communicate? I could be wrong about this.
01-04-2015, 03:46 PM
(01-04-2015 12:21 PM)Mercerenies Wrote:  Hi, I'm here too.

I'm still a bit new to all this, having only played a few much smaller, more casual mafia games on a different forum. But I'll try to keep up of course.

This stuff don't get too serious for a couple days. And even then it isn't as serious as some ~other fora~ so don't be intimidated we're all friendly.

EV stands for Effort Values. You get a set number of Effort Values for each Pokemon you kill. There are 510 Effort Values total available per Pokemon, and you can have a maximum of 255 per stat. 4 Effort Values will raise a stat by 1 point. So through effort values alone, you can raise a stat 63 points from effort values alone (252/4=63)!

It's helpful to understand what items can jumpstart your effort value journey. The medicines (Protein, Calcium, Zinc, HP Up, Iron, Carbos) each raise an EV by 10 per use, and can be used up until the Pokemon has 100 EVs in the respective stat.

"We love eloquence for its own sake, and not for any truth which it may utter, or any heroism it may inspire."
-Henry David Thoreau
01-04-2015, 03:59 PM
Quote:No real suspicions as of yet...although I'd like to qualify that any claim D1 should be an absolute last resort. Rapidly reaching the conclusion that claiming discussion is -EV since it might give scum a better idea of what to fakeclaim, if this is wrong someone please say so! (Oh yeah, also what does -EV actually stand for?). I also need to think a bit more about what people are saying and why, but for now I want to get this post down.

I don't think it is because from everything I can see there's pretty much nothing that's "safe" for scum to claim on day one at least

Like there's stuff that's "safe" in that it can be counterclaimed but that's just a one for one trade deal and there are fewer safeclaims for scum as the game gets longer
01-04-2015, 04:14 PM
Mister Visceral, if you could shoot someone right now, who would it be?
01-04-2015, 04:18 PM
Hmm...I remember typing out something and thinking "no don't want to tip scum off about that" but I guess if that was the case it'll happen again while I'm typing now.

So for starters, the whole "find a good fakeclaim" thing as town is completely off for D1 at least. Town should NOT claim anything but their actual role today under the assumption that any claim will be CC'd leading to a one-for-one. In general I'd think fakeclaiming is VERY situational...if you somehow KNOW someone's dead and you're about to get lynched then maybe, but it still opens the door to scum doing the same thing and claiming to be town!fakeclaim if somehow caught. So it might just be easier to do...what is it? "Lynch all Liars?". I dunno, this is kinda high-level theory stuff.

Anyhow. Regarding town claims that are actually true...if you have some reason to believe scum already know your role, it's probably a good idea if you're about to be lynched (since scum already has the information probably!). If not...dying quietly primarily benefits town by preventing scum from getting a free "in" for their night's foreclosures, so some roles like Safekeeper which are desirable kills should likely avoid such, since if they claim it's not a weakening of the NK to foreclose on them. Less desirable scum roles have more freedom in claiming but should be aware that the claim is less likely to save them, since killing you anyway might be worth the risk if you're scummy enough.

Inforoles like Inspector are an unusual case, in that it depends on the quality of the information AND the quality of the role. An Inspector with innocent results on two night kills may be better served remaining quiet depending on the game state (if there are others that the mafia might like to ATTEMPT foreclosure on and any alternative lynches you believe to be town), but with a living guilty or even a living innocent or two (ESPECIALLY a living innocent who is currently under suspicion) a claim is probably a good idea. (Honestly, claiming is the correct play in most cases for an Inspector beyond D1~D2 unless your information is REALLY terrible)

Anyway. There's a few points on how we could handle specific claims, but I don't want to get into those because some of them are such that if scum attempts the claim we can use the point to catch them out. Thus all detailing the points does is stop scum from attempting the claim. (Also it may reveal cases where it's a good idea for scum to CC a legitimate town claim, which is arguably worse)

I'm mildly concerned that talking about when Role X should claim means scum have an easier time fakeclaiming Role X by fitting in with that timing...but on the other hand we'd probably talk about this at some point sooner or later anyway :/
01-04-2015, 04:21 PM
(01-04-2015 04:14 PM)makerofthegames Wrote:  Mister Visceral, if you could shoot someone right now, who would it be?

yiou

-Henry David Thoreau
01-04-2015, 04:22 PM
Okay so:

@Coldblooded: I feel like the thief targeting scum isn't much of a fantastic idea if for no other reason than it's unlikely that they'll actually be holding onto their credits until maybe endgame, in which case hell you probably don't want to be giving them any info since that's when they're going to be seriously considering foreclosure.
QE: Actually it's very likely that at some point scum will find out who the thief is on their own (based on when they get credits stolen)? So sure, I'd say you're better off hitting scum than not activating at all in just about every case.

@Acio: I don't get why Investor/Assassin are more or less good for confirmation than the thief. Also of note: I feel like the bigger risk from claiming (over forclosure) is that it allows the Pickpocket to swoop in and likely gain the credits of basically any role but the two that you don't want claiming until later/at all (cop/doc).

@Goomba: Actually protown/proscum does fit -EV/+EV, since saying it is protown/scum to reveal something still makes a lot of sense. At the very least, I've never drawn any sort of line between the two.
01-04-2015, 04:29 PM
I considered it but thief requires the assistance and outing of a visiting role to prove it
01-04-2015, 04:39 PM
I think Goomba's point was that something can be pro-town INTENDED but -EV in practice...on the other hand there's no reason not to say it was just +EV intended or pro-scum in practice.

...also, forgot about the pickpocket :/. However it IS possible to just- wait, what's the missing word in "Double votes cannot be purchased by the same player on consecutive"? Days? I'd assume that means only one doublevote per day, too. I don't believe the Pickpocket can activate N1, but Investor remains a good claim regardless as they can pass off all their stuff. CEO/Mortician are bad but they were always going to be bad "regular" claims. Director is bad, which is of note. Thief can burn credits on doublevotes but may not WANT to claim, but if it's a choice between claim and lynch I think the fact they can burn their credits relatively well might make up for it. Donor can just start using their ability every 3 credits (which they may well have been doing anyway) or doublevote as per Thief. Assassin probably wants to activate immediately after claiming anyway. Safekeeper/Inspector...yeah, they just don't want to claim at all. Sidekick is highly variable, as they are with everything :v. Scum can go ahead and trueclaim all they like, in fact do this now pls.

However, later in the game if a role's been saving credits...yeah. Tricky.

@Pala: What would you advise a cop/doc role to do if up against a lynch, and does any of this look incorrect?

PREVIEW EDIT: Of note, the visiting role only has to claim that they're a visiting role. That could still be any of half the town roles (if Sidekick is counted) and so situationally may be worthwhile. It's probably best as a game-ender or at least something to decide between two people when we're relatively convinced one is scum.
01-04-2015, 04:42 PM
EBWOP: Actually Director is REALLY bad because knowing the Director is dead is a significant boon to scum. Dying quietly as a Director means the threat of your role stays out there...and come to think of it this applies to Inspector as well, so probably don't claim that without GOOD info.

Actually that's probably the main benefit to dying quietly, not denying the foreclosure, in most cases.
01-04-2015, 05:20 PM
(01-04-2015 04:21 PM)Mister Visceral Wrote:  
(01-04-2015 04:14 PM)makerofthegames Wrote:  Mister Visceral, if you could shoot someone right now, who would it be?

yiou

Good answer, good answer.

Full disclosure: I had no reason to ask that question to anyone, not even specifically you, I just wanted to see what response I'd get.
01-05-2015, 01:41 AM
And what did you get out of it?

@dC: It's tough to say, since I'm assuming you're talking about my advice towards claiming. A lot of that depends on how the lynch is going on you and timing and your read on who is scum/how many scum are gone. I'd say that the Investor should claim if they're under pressure and have a guilty or two, so at least we have that knowledge. If there are a couple of other people who have claimed (especially if they're still alive/confirmed) you shouldn't under just about any circumstance unless you believe there's only one scum left and you know who it is. I'm tempted to say that the Safekeeper should just about never claim because like the Director, it's a threat out there for scum to be nervous about.

I mean, an early claim seems more or less alright in the end (I think) unless you're one of the high credit cost roles since all it means is now scum has to get you out of the way at some point (and they probably won't get your credits with the Pickpocket). Acio's right in that early pressure on the scumteam is helpful and since obliteration isn't completely terrifying in this setup a single claim to get out of a mislynch probably would help more than it would hurt.
01-05-2015, 03:58 AM
Lynch: MusicalMaestro
01-05-2015, 04:09 AM
(01-05-2015 01:41 AM)Palamedes Wrote:  And what did you get out of it?
A little amusement.
It passed time, at least.
01-05-2015, 06:14 AM
I still don't get the point of random lynch votes at the start of D1, is it to get people agitated, is it for shits and giggles? I don't know but I do know that today is going a little slow.

01-05-2015, 06:36 AM
The best explanation of RVS I can give is this one; it says pretty much everything there is to say about RVS.
01-05-2015, 06:58 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2015 07:08 AM by Stiqqery.)
FUCK THE BOURGEOIS VOTALS

Mecha_Goomba (1): Coldblooded
icanhasdonut (1): dichotomousCreator
dichotomousCreator (1): icanhasdonut
AProcrastinatingWriter (2): Palamedes, MisterVisceral
musicalMaestro (2): Speedchuck, Acionyx
Acionyx (1): musicalMaestro
ColdBlooded (1): Mecha_Goomba

Abstaining: AProcrastinatingWriter, MQuinny1234, makerofthegames, Mercerenies

With 13 players alive, it takes 7 to lynch.

Day One ends January 8th, 12PM EST (~94 hours from now).
01-05-2015, 07:48 AM
Lynch: Makerofthegames

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
01-05-2015, 07:58 AM
omgus
Lynch: MQuinny1234
01-05-2015, 08:01 AM
(01-04-2015 05:46 AM)Palamedes Wrote:  Writer we meet again.

Vote: Writer

Is this revenge for that one game with the hyperbus

(01-04-2015 05:20 PM)makerofthegames Wrote:  
(01-04-2015 04:21 PM)Mister Visceral Wrote:  

yiou

Good answer, good answer.

Full disclosure: I had no reason to ask that question to anyone, not even specifically you, I just wanted to see what response I'd get.

bruh

Vote: makerofthegames

[/spoiler]
(01-04-2015 06:22 AM)musicalMaestro Wrote:  In a completely separate note, what is that picture underneath all of your posts AProcrastinatingWriter?

It's a pony dressed as a piece of cheese. Is that not obvious? mspa[/spoiler]

01-05-2015, 08:02 AM
EBWOP: Messed up those spoiler quotes moderately badly.

This is why no one should ever listen to me

01-05-2015, 08:15 AM
@Mecha_Goomba
I am sorry, but I cannot view that link as the word scum has a "naughty" word in it and my internet blocks that.

01-05-2015, 09:04 AM
Maker, have you played any mafia games on here/MSPA/Eagle Time before? I feel like I can remember playing a game with you in it at some point but I can't remember exactly when it was?

And why did you pick out Visceral in particular for that "Who wants to shoot me" question?

Tumblr/Steam
01-05-2015, 10:10 AM
(01-05-2015 09:04 AM)Coldblooded Wrote:  Maker, have you played any mafia games on here/MSPA/Eagle Time before? I feel like I can remember playing a game with you in it at some point but I can't remember exactly when it was?

Blendersong

@Goomba: what is your read on Palamedes and DC at the moment?
01-05-2015, 10:12 AM
(01-05-2015 06:14 AM)musicalMaestro Wrote:  I still don't get the point of random lynch votes at the start of D1, is it to get people agitated, is it for shits and giggles? I don't know but I do know that today is going a little slow.

This is actually making me feel kinda uneasy.

@Acio: Was your MM vote RVS, or not?
01-05-2015, 10:14 AM
Hey I'm mostly moved in now so
content tonight probably?

-Henry David Thoreau
01-05-2015, 10:20 AM
(01-05-2015 10:12 AM)dichotomousCreator Wrote:  This is actually making me feel kinda uneasy.

@Acio: Was your MM vote RVS, or not?

Real
01-05-2015, 10:33 AM
Thought so, and I'm inclined to agree at this point.

Lynch: musicalMaestro
01-05-2015, 10:45 AM
Well, getting lynched this early will absolve me of any responsibility but I would prefer to live through this game...
That being said I don't see very many options to avoid getting lynched if this train continues.
I could claim or just get mad but neither are very helpful unless everyone else wants me to claim.
If so, I want 8 out of the 13 players to ask before I say anything.