Complete Adventure Mafia [4/15] Oh Deer [Town Wins]
04-04-2015, 09:40 AM
RE: Adventure Mafia [4/15] Oh Deer (Endgame)
(04-04-2015 05:36 AM)Druplesnubb Wrote:  I suspect PE had my character tied up instead of killed because he wanted me to break free and cause mayhem for the endgame flavor. But whatever, now we can have a family reunion instead since Tree Trunks and Mr.Pig also survived. I'm sure all that killing was just due to some bad influence from those other guys.

I 100% forgot that pE had you randomly survive instead of anyone else (I think it might have actually been to have flavour knowledge that there were no more town threats but oh well). You can take that as you surviving or having been dropped down a ledge or something :V

Also sorry to Coldblooded who started working on flavour at practically the same point as me but didn't finish before I did. His ending was almost definitely better but fuck it he stole Ghetto Gardening MVP from me, this is mine.
04-04-2015, 10:56 AM
Lies. I am the true Ghetto successor for I am dog.
04-04-2015, 11:25 AM
Not gonna bother self-deprecating there's plenty of that in observerchat :V

Suffice to say I think this would have gone very differently if I hadn't acted scummy enough to be lynchable over what looked like a 1-in-2 >_>
04-04-2015, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2015 09:10 PM by Druplesnubb.)
I think the whole point of that wasn't to lynch you specifically so much that lynching someone else and seeing how night 2 played out would help town make a more informed decision regarding the 1-in-2.
04-04-2015, 02:08 PM
nooo DC the unfun wasn't your fault, its pe for making the setup and Amos for approving it

Why This

"Have some wine," the March Hare said in an encouraging tone.
Alice looked all round the table, but there was nothing on it but tea.
"I don't see any wine," she remarked.

(06-25-2013 09:31 AM)Chirality Wrote:  And then everyone cut the simplest explanations in tiny pieces then set them on fire then threw them in a lake and poisoned the lake.
04-04-2015, 02:08 PM
Maybe ONE DAY I will be a witch who doesn't get trapped at a solved endgame

(06-25-2013 09:31 AM)Chirality Wrote:  And then everyone cut the simplest explanations in tiny pieces then set them on fire then threw them in a lake and poisoned the lake.
04-04-2015, 02:46 PM
Yeah the setup was veeeeery anti mafia and definitely not that great for SK.
I deeply regret approving this setup as you'll notice in observer chat.

The process of getting the setup to the point where it was playable is another matter and if anyone is interested in that story they can contact me privately.

Palamedes and I are in the process of creating a guideline for future setups more to avoid the latter but in hopes that the former is also resolved to a degree in the process. 'course a setups success relies on the observation of the reviewer and I apologize deeply for how it turned out.
I will never approve a setup like this again.
04-04-2015, 02:47 PM
oh hey now that games over: dini why on earth did you not give the vest to anacreon?
04-04-2015, 02:57 PM
I think a balance guide is a good idea to have.
Pretty much a if town has this role here are you options to counter balance things. Or if scum has this role here is how you balance for town.

[Image: sonicsig2.jpg]
Steam
04-04-2015, 03:07 PM
presumably for the same reason I checked dragonpaul

04-04-2015, 04:16 PM
In unrelated news, this marks the first game that's been modified on that spreadsheet dealiemajig since I constructed it. I'm eventually planning to add the game history from other sites (likely MSPAF next) and potentially organize the thing better.

It's ALMOST tempting to do an entire wiki on the premise instead (so each game gets an article that includes stuff like a brief summary, links to quicktopics, and maybe even player commentary), but baby steps :v

I might be willing to go over rebalancing this setup since I think I need a basic mafia game moderated before I can do my wacky double-thread resistance thing...
04-04-2015, 05:36 PM
The mspafia wiki is lying buried in dust and cobwebs in a corner somewhere having not been updated since 2011 and does anyone have the link

04-04-2015, 06:16 PM
Right here, under the very first google listing for "mspafia wiki".

Haha, they still have me listed as an IRC player, that's just one of the many clues here that this wiki is as old as sin.

Tumblr/Steam
04-04-2015, 06:53 PM
(04-04-2015 02:47 PM)Acionyx Wrote:  oh hey now that games over: dini why on earth did you not give the vest to anacreon?

I was busy and somehow literally forgot about anacreon
04-04-2015, 08:30 PM
Huh, I assumed that you thought he would just die that night anyway.

Also, Beru, why did your message to us act like Acio's daykill as a real thing?
04-04-2015, 11:24 PM
Man I didn't even know there was an mspafia wiki.

Apparently they didn't know there was a Palamedes either though so we're square.
04-05-2015, 01:03 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2015 01:04 AM by Gatr.)
Oh man, I'm on the wiki? Am I really that old?

And, uhh, good game? I mean, I think it was only the second time I ever got lynched D1, so...

[Image: sig.gif]
04-05-2015, 02:48 AM
I don't care that it was accidental or that it ended up blowing up in our faces, the Sotek-Anacreon winefest was seriously the funniest thing I've ever done in a mafia game.
04-05-2015, 04:16 AM
(04-05-2015 02:48 AM)Druplesnubb Wrote:  I don't care that it was accidental or that it ended up blowing up in our faces, the Sotek-Anacreon winefest was seriously the funniest thing I've ever done in a mafia game.

It was -super great-, every part of it.

I mean, as town I loved the outcome, but -holy shit- it was winetacular while it was happening.

then town backed into the Best Possible Lynch. like ... wow.
if we'd lynched anyone but the framer, I don't even know.
04-05-2015, 07:59 AM
if we didnt lynch the framer one of me/sotek would have been lynched the next day most likely.

Steam
04-05-2015, 12:48 PM
I agree, scumchat went bananas when we realized what had happened :V

WHOA CHECK OUT ALL THESE MAFIA GAMES GUYS
(06-06-2016 06:12 AM)Coldblooded Wrote:  if there was ever a scumteam to overthink things and make a huge dramatic production out of day one, DC and Granola would probably be it.
04-05-2015, 03:01 PM
ok now chart every mspa mafia game from 2009-2013

04-05-2015, 03:01 PM
what in the motherfuck happened to the town winrate in our community jesus christ

04-05-2015, 03:57 PM
Acio mentioned FTL mafia proving a bunch of towntells out of date, is it possible that you guys went through a period of the scum players knowing the community's current town/scumtells and playing against them?

(06-06-2016 06:12 AM)Coldblooded Wrote:  if there was ever a scumteam to overthink things and make a huge dramatic production out of day one, DC and Granola would probably be it.
04-05-2015, 04:08 PM
IMO it's a combination of more lurkers and fewer possible replacements.

(Also, more people are letting their setups get vetted by other players before launching them, so there are fewer blatantly pro-town setups then there used to be. Even this game wasn't nearly as unbalanced as some of the ones that we had years ago.)

Tumblr/Steam
04-05-2015, 04:34 PM
(04-05-2015 03:57 PM)dichotomousCreator Wrote:  Acio mentioned FTL mafia proving a bunch of towntells out of date, is it possible that you guys went through a period of the scum players knowing the community's current town/scumtells and playing against them?

(04-05-2015 04:08 PM)Coldblooded Wrote:  IMO it's a combination of more lurkers and fewer possible replacements.

(Also, more people are letting their setups get vetted by other players before launching them, so there are fewer blatantly pro-town setups then there used to be. Even this game wasn't nearly as unbalanced as some of the ones that we had years ago.)

Both.

Also the part where we have a bunch of games where I'm de facto king of the lynch but I've got no one helping me or reigning in my dumber impulses (or I do but I don't trust them)

Like at least part of this game was definitely you/me/sotek/dini/para all being town and getting it across to each other. The trick is pulling that kind of cooperation off without people you've played with dozens of times over.
04-05-2015, 05:17 PM
(04-05-2015 04:34 PM)Acionyx Wrote:  Also the part where we have a bunch of games where I'm de facto king of the lynch but I've got no one helping me or reigning in my dumber impulses (or I do but I don't trust them)

Or games where about half of the playerlist lurks super hardcore and then tries to get the town leaders lynched when their near-random potshots into the massive lurker pool keep hitting town.

FTL Mafia sure was a trip huh?

Tumblr/Steam
04-05-2015, 05:19 PM
Traffic Jam Mafia looks like its gonna be good. Dat playerlist.
04-06-2015, 03:05 AM
FTL mafia is another bleak reminder as to why you don't let me survive until endgame as town (unless you're scum) :V.

Thankfully I seem to be scum more often than not.
04-06-2015, 03:56 AM
ftl proved for the third time that mods should never give me daykills or revengekills
04-06-2015, 07:02 AM
FTL and this taught me what scum dc was like unfortunately i couldnt make either meta argument because neither game had ended when i was considering it.

Steam
04-06-2015, 09:17 AM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2015 09:17 AM by phantomEclipse.)
IM BAAACCKKK!!

Aw so sad. It was almost impossible for beru to win. But if it had happened it wouldve been the best victory ever.

Besides the blatantly town-sided setup, did everyone enjoy the game pretty much?

Also, #1000th post

It's time to, T-T-T-T-T-T TRIPLE POST
04-06-2015, 10:11 AM
(04-06-2015 07:02 AM)anacreon Wrote:  FTL and this taught me what scum dc was like unfortunately i couldnt make either meta argument because neither game had ended when i was considering it.

Mentioned in observerchat but a small part of the reason I thought dC was as town as I did in FTL was because I watched him collapse on himself here and figured he wouldn't have been as spectacularly together as he was there.
04-06-2015, 03:03 PM
FTL mostly just taught me about the other side of the coin. I was kinda doomed in those early town games from having no experience with that :V. I learned a surprising amount about my town playstyle by trying to maintain the appearance of it as well (all that cutting down on wordiness stuff was completely legit and valuable experience for my next town game, actually)

Also it's important to note that we left Acio alive for quite a while in FTL too.

04-06-2015, 04:29 PM
Keeping a townleader alive when they're leading mislynches is a completely reasonable and sound strategy for scum, since it makes people look at them strangely (and also makes it easier to deflect their suspicions on you).
04-07-2015, 02:22 AM
Not that we were doin' exactly that, we just couldn't kill Acio when we tried and then better targets kept showing up.

(04-03-2015 08:00 AM)Vancho1 Wrote:  I mean, sheesh, why would you claim desperado if you're a town BP?

(04-04-2015 08:37 AM)beruru Wrote:  Shout outs to oz for almost throwing the game for his team

...? Did you guys miss the outcome of that play? Sure, I wanted to lynch Speedchuck (that going through could have counted as almost throwing the game, I guess) but Town did lynch the Mafia Roleblocker instead of the Town BP that day. And beru's reaction to being the Desperado target was probably her biggest scum tell in the game.

I guess I could have just not replaced in and let the TruthHurts mislynch go through, but I like to think I did the right thing given the circumstances.
04-07-2015, 04:42 AM
You could have done better than just making up a terrible fakeclaim that just got you mislynched later and left town with less breathing room at the time of it. I mean avoiding the mislynch was the right thing to do 100%, but doing so in a way that literally guarantees you'll get mislynched later in the game (where town can generally afford it less and certainly couldn't here) isn't the best way to do it.
04-07-2015, 05:39 AM
(04-07-2015 02:22 AM)OzTheWizard Wrote:  
Not that we were doin' exactly that, we just couldn't kill Acio when we tried and then better targets kept showing up.

(04-03-2015 08:00 AM)Vancho1 Wrote:  I mean, sheesh, why would you claim desperado if you're a town BP?

(04-04-2015 08:37 AM)beruru Wrote:  Shout outs to oz for almost throwing the game for his team

...? Did you guys miss the outcome of that play? Sure, I wanted to lynch Speedchuck (that going through could have counted as almost throwing the game, I guess) but Town did lynch the Mafia Roleblocker instead of the Town BP that day. And beru's reaction to being the Desperado target was probably her biggest scum tell in the game.

I guess I could have just not replaced in and let the TruthHurts mislynch go through, but I like to think I did the right thing given the circumstances.

You would have been in a much less lynchable place if you had shelved the emotional appeals or at least waited to drop them until after you participated in the game.

As is the good posts got drowned out by claiming SKish things when you were suspected of being SK and getting affronted that I shot you when that is exactly what I advocated in thread.

Also between that, claiming a thing that made no sense given the setup and then acting affronted the next day (when it should have been 100% clear you were only alive because the desperado claim was being humored) you major league looked like you weren't paying attention to the thread and were just trying to save yourself.
04-07-2015, 06:03 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2015 06:09 AM by OzTheWizard.)
Really Pala? You think I could have done something else to undo the perceptions of my replacee's deeds? In 36 hours? I didn't know you had that much faith in me.

Like, what where my options? True claim? I get lynched as SK or mafia BP because people had already correctly guessed the role while not the alignment. Fake claim something else? What kind of claim would have given me a higher chance of getting killed while also giving me any chance at all of not getting lynched?

Vanilla Town: Not important, let's lynch him.
Cop: Ok! Let's lynch the actual Cop because he's scummy.
Doc: Let's have the actual Doc push for that lynch harder. It's not like he was exposed enough already.
Vig: Get lynched as SK (and never killed even if that somehow gets him out.)
Survivor: See above.

I see, I could have dropped the emotional appeals, but those were part of the "please shoot me, I have an important role" angle I was going for. I'll do that better next time. Also, sure, I was lying, but if I wasn't you would have shot a townfirm when there were other valid targets. I'm kind of baffled you still can't see why that angered me.

EDIT: Unrelated, but I just thought about this. In hindsight, it should have been obvious that beru was the SK when her reaction against getting shot was calling me a mafioso instead of the obvious SK everyone else was going for.
04-07-2015, 06:07 AM
From a spectator's point of view, not trueclaiming BP IMO was probably the correct thing to do.
I think Desperado as a claim was a clearly rushed decision that wasn't exactly thought through, but if we're talking low effort recovery tactics in the wake of an incoming noose then yeah, claiming BP in a setup that has a Doc, Virgin, Cop, etc is definitely risky (not to mention in doing so the BP would virtually forfeit their effectiveness).

The benefits of the action were obviously coincidental, though. It would be conceited to suggest that this was a good play on Oz's part because obviously the act of doing it didn't take much craft, but it would be valid to say that it did indeed help town succeed.

'course if FTL is any example I think people should stay suspicious of unusually protown claim pools rather than resort to this sort of tactic in the average game.
04-07-2015, 06:08 AM
And ninja'd!

Yeah I wouldn't go with claiming any of those standard roles either in that position if I were avoiding the trueclaim route.
04-07-2015, 06:37 AM
I said this in observer chat gonna repeat it here:

if druple wasnt speed lynched i probably would have brought up Garden mafia where Oz pulled something similar as town. Although he did actually get a desperado as a bp in that case.

Steam
04-07-2015, 06:48 AM
Oz you were not going to be a priority shot for any scum ever that day; the entire game had claimed /much/ more important roles than anything short of doctor (who it turns out they knew anyways)

The only way that could have worked out is you claim desperado without the emotional flailing; you might still have been lynched but I would definitely have been more interested in shooting beru if your replacement opener wasn't "everyone sucks, my slot is town for meta reasons, actual content later"

This is with hindsight in knowing that donut got lynched but I /think/ pushing a lynch off town without making yourself a priority target next is short-term okay when the lynchpool at the time had three people. It would have sucked if there was a majorly good performance going on by all the townreads though (I think I was the only big question mark there? sotek had his thing, dini was being confirmed, coldblooded was known visitor who confirmed someone)

Trying to get shot was greedy and ignored way too much about the climate of the game at that point in time. Even if it succeeded you wouldn't have been able to prove it.