~Dota 2~ : Deny Your Friends And Your Enemies
04-10-2013, 04:54 PM
~Dota 2~ : Deny Your Friends And Your Enemies
this is dota 2 thread

dota 2 is a MOBA, sequel to dota 1, the ur-MOBA
(even though it was not the first MOBA it is the most well known)
(it is so well known that before Riot invented the name MOBA the genre as a whole was known as Dota. tmyk)

important dota links!!

dota 2 wiki
dotacinema yt
pyrion flax yt
dota 2 on steam but everyone has free dota keys so just ask people who already have the game if they have a spare key and they will probs give you one
04-11-2013, 12:09 AM
RE: ~Dota 2~ : Deny Your Friends And Your Enemies
(04-10-2013 04:54 PM)beruru Wrote:  (it is so well known that before Riot invented the name MOBA the genre as a whole was known as Dota. tmyk)

AoS!

So, yea, DotA is a fantastic game, in my opinion. Here, have some background:

DotA - which stands for Defense of the Ancients - was a UMS created on the World Editor of Warcraft 3's Custom Maps. Possibly one of the most successful, easily one of the most famous, maps like DotA are the reason that wc3 had such an exceptionally long life.

Warcraft3 was a unique game, and in my opinion the best game i played in the 00s. The endless replayability due to the whole Custom Maps system was amazing, unique, and like nothing i've seen before and since.

DotA was once merely one amongst the many. A map based on a game called Aeon of Strife (in Starcraft: Brood War's Custom Maps). However, unlike many maps, it persisted over the years, ever changing, with new creators, new additions, a whole bunch of different adaptations and new iterations to eventually land in the hands of an enigmatic man(???) called Icefrog.

Under Icefrog's leadership, the design of DotA surpassed that of many other custom maps. Whilst many other custom maps had been around just as, or nearly as long - Enfo's Team Survival, Footmen Frenzy, Uther's Party, many others - DotA was, to my knowledge the only one to take the competitive nature of itself seriously. The design seemed to flow away from new and outrageous, and move towards balance and fun.

Of course, in a game with a good 100+ heroes and countless items, balance is something difficult to achieve. DotA was once commented to have achieved something known as "Perfect Imbalance" - where every strategy seems Overpowered at first, but every strat is beatable by other strategies which in turn are beaten by other strategies...

Under the guidance of Icefrog, madman or genius, DotA managed to come to the attention of many competitive gaming tournaments and, despite only really being an "offshoot" of the Warcraft3 Custom Maps, managed to have a lot of tournaments and a stable proscene come about as a result. Eventually, DotA came to the eyes of professional game designers. Riot, the creator of LoL, and s2 games, the creator of HoN had already seen the potential of this genre of games, but Valve evidentally approached Icefrog to create a direct port of the map into a new, free2play stand-alone platform. Icefrog assented, and Dota2 was born.

Dota2, therefore, is not a simple game. Not by any stretch of the imagination. There are many nuances that may overwhelm any new player, but stick with it. Its one of the best gaming experiances anyone can ever have.

...And Valve has even said that they intend to provide support for a Custom Maps system of their own. DotA - the wc3 of the 10s?
04-12-2013, 01:25 AM
Ah, I've been enjoying Dota 2, and I even got a group of friends to play matches with. Bots are alright to practice last hitting and denying with, but with the exception of Dazzle they are the worst teammates ever (No Crystal Maiden. Don't teleport over to that tower getting ganged up by the entire enemy team). I still have much to learn though.
04-12-2013, 11:43 AM
I try to play with friends but then they disconnect and I have to park my Dazzle into the forest and farm as their hero in the hopes that said friend comes back but then he doesn't.

Hmm who may that shitty friend be?
04-13-2013, 02:45 AM
(04-12-2013 11:43 AM)Chirality Wrote:  I try to play with friends but then they disconnect and I have to park my Dazzle into the forest and farm as their hero in the hopes that said friend comes back but then he doesn't.

I dunno, but he sounds like a real asshole!!!
04-13-2013, 03:02 AM
(04-13-2013 02:45 AM)A Killer Cuppa Tea Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 11:43 AM)Chirality Wrote:  I try to play with friends but then they disconnect and I have to park my Dazzle into the forest and farm as their hero in the hopes that said friend comes back but then he doesn't.

I dunno, but he sounds like a real asshole!!!

And that goes without mentioning the KOTL farming the jungle at lvl 1 because "he needs farm to lane".

[Image: SzNxysM.png]

Aaaaaand bad streaks.
04-13-2013, 07:34 PM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2013 09:43 PM by beruru.)
i just had to play support drow
*support drow*

afk troll warlord was still connected to the game because he decided he didnt want an abandon
newbie randomed nature's profit and was actually good at it because he was apparently platinum in sc3 or something
huskar did huskar things got ganked a lot w/e
DAZZLE STOLE ALL MY LAST HITS BECAUSE HE THOUGHT HE WAS A CARRY protip heroes with healing abilities are usually not carries

and then there was me
we got stomp i cry

although i was pro enough to ward their base so there's that. i didnt know that ward let you see courier! tmyk

also we roshed and then morphling stole aegis it was great
04-15-2013, 06:25 AM
[Image: benM8Sq.png]

Carries? What's that?
04-15-2013, 06:27 AM
yeeeaaaaaaaaa 8)
04-15-2013, 11:54 AM
last night i saw the *best* pro game ever
two aegis steals and furion didn't get boots until 15 minutes
so pro
04-15-2013, 11:09 PM
who vs who?
04-16-2013, 08:37 AM
the first game pyrion flax cast w/ BTS on saturday
04-17-2013, 02:47 AM
Resident Omnikight here. My plan is usually;

1) Go in
2) Get some big whacks in
3) Get whacked
4) Use Purify
5) Kill everything around me
6) Steal ALL the last hits.
04-17-2013, 02:54 AM
(04-17-2013 02:47 AM)ExKirby Wrote:  Resident Omnikight here. My plan is usually;

1) Go in
2) Get some big whacks in
3) Get whacked
4) Use Purify
5) Kill everything around me
6) Steal ALL the last hits.

>:(
04-17-2013, 03:16 AM (This post was last modified: 04-17-2013 03:17 AM by A Killer Cuppa Tea.)
So, in order to get some comradery going, we should probably post our steam IDs so we can all add each other, along with our experiance within the game and whatnot. So:

Name: A Killer Cuppa Tea (but most everyone calls me Tea)
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/akillercuppatea/
Experience: As of now, 917 games played in Dota2 as well as many years of playing in DotA.
04-17-2013, 03:24 AM (This post was last modified: 04-17-2013 07:04 AM by Chirality.)
Name: Chirality
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/achirality/
Dotabuff: http://dotabuff.com/players/67830318
Experience: 449 games played in Dota2, in exactly one week I'll have played for an entire year, how time passes. I specialize in playing support or whatever the team had the brain damage to not pick.
04-17-2013, 06:31 AM
Name: Eldrake
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/elitefourDrake
Experience: Lol only 62 hours and approximately five real online games or so. I had played a little of the original since I did play a lot of custom maps back in WC3. Too bad just about every single DotA lobby went "no noobs allowed" without exceptions, so I had little chance to really get into it.
04-17-2013, 01:36 PM
owo~

name: beruruururururururuuruur
steam id: http://steamcommunity.com/id/katobera
experience: 25 games lololololo i watch more doto than i play but that is because doter eats hours and hours of time.
and also because i am too busy being an afknogi to open other steam games :u
05-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Wow, so yesterday I tried Slark, and I find him really, really fun to play. I enjoyed stomping bot butts with him.

I even quickly googled to find a good build for him.
05-03-2013, 09:59 PM
it is good when people find their hero \o/

right now my hero is rightclick2win aka Traxex aka drow. <3
i want to play cool things like outworld destroyer and zeus but if i don't know who my team is i am probably going to lose with not-drow, so i don't play cool things :(
05-04-2013, 03:06 AM
Drow? Oh god... Please, for the good of humanity, pick something that isn't spammed to high hell and back. Seriously, I can go into any pub game, and I can guarantee that there'll be either a Sniper, a Drow or a Riki, usually two of them, in the game. Most of them don't even know what they're doing ._.
05-04-2013, 06:31 AM
(05-04-2013 03:06 AM)ExKirby Wrote:  Drow? Oh god... Please, for the good of humanity, pick something that isn't spammed to high hell and back. Seriously, I can go into any pub game, and I can guarantee that there'll be either a Sniper, a Drow or a Riki, usually two of them, in the game. Most of them don't even know what they're doing ._.

That's exactly why they are picked a lot. They are pretty easy to grasp and beginner-friendly, Riki less so, but at low levels invisibility = invincibility, so yeah.
05-04-2013, 05:52 PM
oh hey I actually haven't posted in this

Name: Mirdini
Steamid: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Mirdini
Experience: Too much with too many long hiatuses in between. This is the part where I tell myself my 876 hours played is mostly me accidentally leaving the game on overnight.
05-05-2013, 01:44 AM
(05-04-2013 06:31 AM)Chirality Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 03:06 AM)ExKirby Wrote:  Drow? Oh god... Please, for the good of humanity, pick something that isn't spammed to high hell and back. Seriously, I can go into any pub game, and I can guarantee that there'll be either a Sniper, a Drow or a Riki, usually two of them, in the game. Most of them don't even know what they're doing ._.

That's exactly why they are picked a lot. They are pretty easy to grasp and beginner-friendly, Riki less so, but at low levels invisibility = invincibility, so yeah.

It seems to me like it's more "OMG Sniper/Riki/Drow is OP I'm going to use now". Luckily, they seem to underestimate the fact that a Poison Nova + Venomous Gale can easily do 800 upwards damage, plus wards and standard attacks.
05-05-2013, 04:28 AM
(05-05-2013 01:44 AM)ExKirby Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 06:31 AM)Chirality Wrote:  

It seems to me like it's more "OMG Sniper/Riki/Drow is OP I'm going to use now". Luckily, they seem to underestimate the fact that a Poison Nova + Venomous Gale can easily do 800 upwards damage, plus wards and standard attacks.

That's exactly the thing: people who think that Sniper/Riki/Drow are OP have no idea what they are doing.

At your level, people hardly last hit. People mostly get their farm from killing enemy heroes or else they don't get much. Drow and Sniper have good range and bonus damage from their skills, just by leveling up, giving them an early edge against other heroes. Since in general people don't get much farm, that bonus damage remains a big deal through the game. Couple that with the fact Sniper and Drow pretty much only rightclick, and you've got yourself the perfect little beginner hero.

Their weakness is very simple: they're just glass cannons. Their effectiveness is very dependent on their positioning, because they are squishy and don't initially have an escape ability.

Of course no one knows how to deal with them early on so going full-on glass cannon works out well. In reality they are not the "omg overpowered heroes" beginners claim.

Riki is just a case of invisibility = invincibility earlygame. Riki without items is pretty useless, and since at your level, people hardly farm, as long as you don't feed riki for no reason he's going to be mostly useless through the game.
05-06-2013, 01:32 AM
What a lot of people think is "overpowered" is usually just "easier to do"
05-06-2013, 07:03 AM
So who wants to give me a key?

I'm pretty good at LoL but I guess this is where the cool kids are hanging out

Doctor Who: The Forgotten Doctor
Escape the Day
05-06-2013, 08:58 AM
(05-06-2013 07:03 AM)Scoffles Wrote:  So who wants to give me a key?

I'm pretty good at LoL but I guess this is where the cool kids are hanging out

Just add me on steam, I'll give you one.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Achirality
05-07-2013, 07:34 AM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2013 08:15 AM by Eldrake.)
So I just had the most hilarious game yet.

I will let this speak for myself.

http://eldrake.tumblr.com/post/497955688...up-feeding

Edit: The match ID is 189843327 if you're interested.

Edit 2: Actually I didn't need to say that, because the ID is already in the picture. But whatever.
05-08-2013, 03:10 AM
No Scoffles!
Come play League with me!
;;
05-08-2013, 04:21 AM
(05-07-2013 07:34 AM)Eldrake Wrote:  So I just had the most hilarious game yet.

I will let this speak for myself.

http://eldrake.tumblr.com/post/497955688...up-feeding

Edit: The match ID is 189843327 if you're interested.

Edit 2: Actually I didn't need to say that, because the ID is already in the picture. But whatever.

Wow they fed you hard o_O

(05-08-2013 03:10 AM)Cat Wrote:  No Scoffles!
;;

Damn it Cat you can't be a coolkid now D:
05-08-2013, 09:46 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2013 09:47 AM by A Killer Cuppa Tea.)
;;

*obligatory LoL hate*

Seriously tho, come play dota!
05-09-2013, 04:30 AM
(05-08-2013 09:46 AM)A Killer Cuppa Tea Wrote:  
;;

Seriously tho, come play dota!

!
05-10-2013, 05:48 AM
;;

I can do that also!

Escape the Day
05-10-2013, 09:30 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2013 10:48 AM by Chirality.)

I notice a pattern today.
05-10-2013, 05:07 PM
whenever i hear that song i always expect Slam Fukkireta to start playing immediately after
05-11-2013, 05:45 AM
bears

hey bears

why are you always lina

Escape the Day
05-11-2013, 03:26 PM
This is the story of the faceless void that freefarmed all game.
05-11-2013, 04:03 PM
(05-11-2013 05:45 AM)Scoffles Wrote:  bears

hey bears

why are you always lina

i'm not skilled enough to all random yet so i just play the same hero over and over until i feel like i got the hang of that hero, and so if i play a hero with similar spells i will know how to play

and then i switch to a hero who plays completely differently

maybe at the end of this month i will stop being a lina
05-11-2013, 06:47 PM
http://dotabuff.com/players/23603317 My dotabuff profile is up now!

The Venomancer match makes me sad because we had such a decent team composition (and I even got a hero I played about five times in bot games!) but we lost anyway so :-(
05-12-2013, 12:10 AM
(05-11-2013 03:26 PM)Chirality Wrote:  This is the story of the faceless void that freefarmed all game.

And then you insist on calling yourself a bad carry.
05-12-2013, 12:21 AM
(05-12-2013 12:10 AM)A Killer Cuppa Tea Wrote:  
(05-11-2013 03:26 PM)Chirality Wrote:  This is the story of the faceless void that freefarmed all game.

And then you insist on calling yourself a bad carry.

I am! I got a lane of Leshrac + Elder Titan vs Faceless Void + support Razor. Leshrac did questionable things like trying to harass me with... Edict. Ok, thanks Leshrac. Got my quick tranquil boots, manned up in lane, I got 2 kills 2 assists. Battlefury in about 13 minutes. Once you got battlefury it's smooth sailing in farmland, while my team kept the other team busy and they forgot that I existed.
05-12-2013, 12:45 AM
Going up against bad enemies doesnt make you a bad carry
05-12-2013, 01:21 AM
It does not make one good either :P

(13-5-15 Visage lol. Enemy Enigma blames his team, I tell him maybe it's because of his 1 man black holes on the support that they lost, get replied with "lol it killed you twice you mad noob". Why am I playing against these people.)
05-12-2013, 08:19 AM
So, misunderstanding the leader's requests for more wards, I bought four sentry wards.

They told me I was to buy observer wards, so I went back and bought some.

On my way I saw sentry wards lying on the ground at the fountain, so I decided to grab them too because why not.

It was six sentry wards, and one of my teammates saw them in my inventory and thought that I seriously bought six more sentry wards.

It was a funny misunderstanding (made even funnier when the first ward I place on the ground catches the Bounty Hunter red-handed)

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/5970...C461B03B9/
05-12-2013, 08:40 AM
That bounty must've been really intimidated if he checked your inventory. Suddenly nowhere is safe.
05-12-2013, 06:32 PM
suddenly reminded of the game i played with that Rubick who got so pissed by me asking for wards that he sold all his items to buy wards and literally warded the entire map
05-13-2013, 08:12 PM
tonight i got pulled into a single draft

and discovered i love gyrocopter

daedalus op
05-13-2013, 11:43 PM
HELL yes, gyrocopter bestcopter.
05-14-2013, 06:28 AM
tea the guide I was using said to max my w first is this true because obv the e is better for farming faster and stuff