What makes a good game?
04-11-2013, 05:44 AM
What makes a good game?
I don't know if any of you guys have actually looked at ChocoPi's game theory articles, but I think they are fantastic.

Read them.

So, hey, this is a place where we can discuss things that we like or dislike about certain games, or would like to see in future games:

Social vs. non-social
Moderated vs. unmoderated
Balance vs. Imbalance
Game mechanics that appeal to different player styles - Timmy, Spike, Johnny
Play time - short, medium, long
How to maximize replayability
How important is player individuality/customizability
Fun vs. meaning in games
Economics
Combat: essential or not?
Favorite mechanic of your favorite game, and why

We can talk about Extra Credits videos or Sirlin articles or ChocoPi's blog posts

Broad topic is broad.

Doctor Who: The Forgotten Doctor
Escape the Day
04-14-2013, 04:43 PM
RE: What makes a good game?
For me, what makes a good game is similar to what makes a good book/story.

Does it pull you into the world? How does it accomplish that? Narrative? Graphics? Atmosphere? Lore? Detail?

Is it fun or interesting to play?

How customizable is it? In settings? In gameplay?

For me, what's important is less features, but more setting, theme, and story. As long as the features don't get in the way of those things, a game is good. That being said, good features can save an otherwise terrible game. So, it all evens out. mspa
04-18-2013, 09:24 AM
I'd think that most people enjoy different things in games. Personally, here's what I value in games:

Freedom. I like to be able to mess around within the game's system and make choices about my play style that have actual impact. I especially crave freedom regarding customization.

Direction. Might seem like this is a direct contradiction to freedom, but I like to have concrete goals as well. It doesn't necessarily have to contradict too much, I just don't like it when a game has no real point to it. There's nothing stopping a game from telling you to go to Hamletton Village and then letting you start walking towards a random mountain that you caught sight of and decided to check the top of for treasure. Just so long as the game either provides direction, or (much more difficult) induces the player to provide their own direction. (The main issue with hitting an "inbetween" point like this is that Hamletton Village might be trivial after you find and clear out the Cave of Man-Eating Dragons Who You Owe Money To, but that can be worked around through various methods, and doesn't always necessarily apply)

Setting. I like games with a good world that I can really get into. This includes the story, world building, visual appearance, etc.

Mechanic balance. This one's a bit more difficult to explain, but basically, I like it when equal effort is put into the elements of a game that would normally be cursory. For example, in most RPGs, leveling up isn't a challenge in and of itself. It's generally "put points into stats, numbers go up". In other words, it exists solely to serve a different mechanic, namely combat. As a contrast, I'll paraphrase Yahtzee's description of XCOM. "While I was killing aliens, I kept thinking about how many rocket launchers I'd build with the resources I got, and while I was building rocket launchers, I kept thinking about all the aliens I'd kill with them". That quality right there is mechanic balance, where both the management of the base and the combat are entertaining, instead of merely having the base management exist to serve the alien killing. (There's probably another name for this... no clue what it is though)

Non-execution based challenge. I won't beat around the bush, execution-based games annoy me. Mainly because if a puzzle takes you 30 minutes, that means you've been making steady progress for those 30 minutes. If an execution-based challenge takes 30 minutes, that means you kept getting to the last three obstacles and crashing into a giant wall of spikes because your grappling hook rope length was a millimeter too short (or something else along those lines). That said, this is 100% a personal preference, and I won't claim that this trait makes a game better or worse. What I will say, though, is having both execution-based and puzzle-based challenges in a game is asking for trouble, especially if the difficulty of both sets of challenges is equal. Having multiple types of core challenges like that will just wind up frustrating a larger proportion of people.

Uniqueness. I like my games to have some quirk or another to them, something that sets them apart. Not necessarily something mechanical, but pretty much any game needs something that makes it unique. There doesn't necessarily need to be a lot of unique aspects, as long as what they do have is done well. An example of uniqueness done badly is Final Fantasy, wherein they started randomly changing the game's core formula without really thinking anything through or putting significant effort into it. A good example of uniqueness, on the other hand, is Portal. Portal has three elements which were unique or semi-unique at them time: The setting, the antagonistic narrator, and the portals themselves. Other than that, it was a completely normal puzzle platformer, but what it did have that set it apart, it did well.

I think I switched into essay mode somewhere in there... Well, whatever. That's what I've got.
06-14-2013, 10:24 PM
Hi,

Games are a matter of taste! The perceived value of a game depends greatly on the individual preferences of those who play it. Some players prefer games of luck; others prefer games of tactics; still others enjoy communicating with fellow players. Then there are those who like games based on reaction, manual skills, or memory, etc. But whether a game is considered good or of little appeal does not depend entirely on personal preferences. There are also objective criteria that must be considered:
-Originality
-Surprise
-Winning Chances
-No Early Elimination
-Tension
04-17-2014, 10:23 PM
Hi, here is the real interview of Hrvoje Horvatek a game developer at DJ Grandpa’s Crib. You may have a look at this week episode via clicking here … http://bedrockcommunications.blogspot.in...04U1qLQ4gm
[Image: djg600x.png]