Complete The Resistance: DeFranco's Fine French Cuisine: GAME OVER, 5 Stars!
01-26-2015, 03:23 PM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2015 08:16 AM by amosmyn.)
The Resistance: DeFranco's Fine French Cuisine: GAME OVER, 5 Stars!
Welcome to DeFranco's Fine French Cuisine, the greatest French restaurant in all of Flushings, New York! Since 1989, we've been serving Escargot like a hot knife through butter!

[Image: 3248684-lg.jpg]

Business has always been good in Flushings! The people here had never known what true French cuisine really tasted like until the franchise popped up, and man oh man do we bring in the cashola!

Modern Day, February 2015:
DiTaliano's Tasty Spicy Meatball opens up across the street.
[Image: ditaliano_logo.jpg]
A chain restaurant. And not just any chain restaurant oh no these guys are some reeeeaaaal assholes. Seriously.
There's definitely a reason their competition drops like flies whenever they pull in; rumours suggest that DiTaliano invests in hiring saboteurs years in advance to work at their competition's restaurants, for just the right moments...

Poppa Bronson, the city's most famous food critic, is coming in this Sunday for our Fantastic Five Course Meal!
Getting Bronson's favour means life-or-death in this industry, and the DTSM know it. They'll stop at nothing to make our meal flop!
[Image: action-bronson-eating.jpg]

Rules
(Adapted from Spandex Faffy's game)
One third of you are DiTaliano's spies (rounding up), the rest of you are loyal chefs of DeFranco's. Spies want to spoil the dishes, chefs want to impress Poppa Bronson. If three of our dishes are spoiled, Health and Safety are going to shut our fine establishment down! We need to successfully prepare at least three of the five dishes! But be careful, if the Food Poisoner guesses who Merlin DeFranco is, it's all over!
________
Gameplay goes as such:
Pre-Game -
I will inform each of you whether you are loyal or a minion of DiTaliano's.
I will tell you what role you have, the roles include Merlin DeFranco, Percy, Morgana DiTaliano and the Food Poisoner. I will explain what each of these roles do lower down in the post.
I will inform each minion who the other minions. (NOTE: unlike mafia games, the minions will NOT be able to talk privately).
I will then tell Merlin who all of the minions are.

One player will be randomly selected to be the leader of the first mission.
________
Game start -
Gameplay proceeds through a series of five missions.
The leader of the mission will cycle through the players.
Missions will require a certain number of players to complete, this depends on how many players we have so I will tell you how many will go on each quest closer to the time.
________
The leader will select his team from the players after a discussion phase.
Each other player will submit a vote to me privately on whether to approve or deny the team.
I will reveal the player votes and whether the team was approved or denied (majority rule).
If the team was denied, then the leader is rotated to the next player, they can then submit a team for approval, this continues until the majority approves.
If the team is approved, play proceeds to the mission attempt.
Each minion on the team may tell me if they are sabotaging the mission or not. If any minion sabotages the mission, the mission fails. (If there are 7 or more players then mission 4 requires two people to fail it.
MINION WARNING: If multiple minions are on a team and vote to sabotage, the resulting destruction will be obvious to all, and the thread will be informed of the exact number of sabotage attempts.
________
Play then proceeds to the next player and repeats until either three quests have succeeded or three quests have been failed.
________
THE ROLES
Merlin DeFranco (Loyal) - Owner of this fine establishment. Knows all Minions of DiTaliano's.
Percy (Loyal) - Knows the identity of the players playing as Merlin and Morgana, but not who has what role.
Morgana (Minion) - Morgana actually looks really damn similar to Merlin! It's really weird. So weird that Percy can't tell the difference between them!
Food Poisoner (Minion) - Has the final call on who to kill at the end of the game (after discussion), if they kill Merlin DeFranco then DiTaliano's wins.

Appended Rules

The team leader will have two days to decide upon a team. Everyone will have three days to talk, and a total of five days to cast an approve/deny vote. If all ten votes are in, I will advance the round as soon as possible. I will also advance the round automatically if there are seven deny votes prior to the team even being announced; in the event of this, I'll just go ahead and move things forward so we don't have to wait for a "confirmed scummy" to make a denied team.

In the event of a player not casting a vote, he/she will be replaced at the end of the voting deadline, no questions asked.
The first replacement required will have their vote converted into a DENY vote, the second APPROVE, the third DENY and so on. If you need to replace out, please do it before it becomes a concern of time and preferably cast a vote before doing so.

Please send your votes by PM to me with the title in this format:
Resistance M#R# - <Approve/Deny>
& for missions: Resistance M# - <Pass/Fail>

e.g. Resistance M1R1 - Approve
Resistance M1 - Fail
This will save time and energy and make the process of doing votals much more convenient.

Signups:
1. dC
2. Donuts
3. reaverb
4. speedchuck
5. Palamedes
6. Mecha_Goomba
7. Vancho1
8. Mister Visceral
9. pE
10. Lawsome

Replacements:
1. TheOtherGuy
2. Callistic (only for Vancho1)
!!!
01-26-2015, 08:48 PM
RE: The Resistance: DeFranco's Fine French Cuisine
Oh I've heard of this game! Count me in, if I'm not eating up slots in too many other games and forcing people out of being able to play stuff.

Quick question: Doesn't one-third rounded up mean 4 spies to 6 chefs in this scenario? Isn't that kind of a lot of spies?
01-26-2015, 11:27 PM
That would be the correct amount of spies for the Resistance, yes.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Resistance_(game)

Its important to note that scum dont get night chat in the Resistance; its not Mafia.
01-26-2015, 11:46 PM (This post was last modified: 01-27-2015 02:09 AM by icanhasdonut.)
pasta is overrated
(i am in)
01-27-2015, 12:33 AM
When does this start?

I'm probably in, given this doesn't start for a week or so.
01-27-2015, 01:42 AM
Whenever folks want it to start!
01-27-2015, 02:45 AM
I try never to be in two mafia games at once.

Luckily, this isn't mafia.

IN
01-27-2015, 06:42 AM
Yes I am always up for a game of Resistance. Bring it on Ditaliano scum (or DeFranco scum, whichever side I'm on).
01-27-2015, 09:16 AM
I really shouldn't be in two games at once, but I have more free time than I know what to do with.

In.
01-27-2015, 09:23 AM
As long as this doesn't start at the same time as FTL Mafia, I'm in :D
01-27-2015, 09:30 AM
It is me I'm in the amfia game

"We love eloquence for its own sake, and not for any truth which it may utter, or any heroism it may inspire."
-Henry David Thoreau
01-27-2015, 09:33 AM
Alrighty, this game will begin at some point after FTL Mafia N1 begins. Could be later of course, just depends on the relative business of the forum.
01-27-2015, 01:29 PM
I never had much luck at the resistance, then again it was the literal first thing i played before, what i like to think as standard, hunt/mafia.

count me in

It's time to, T-T-T-T-T-T TRIPLE POST
01-28-2015, 09:36 AM
I will sign up.
01-28-2015, 11:16 AM
Lock n loaded!
Ill send out role pms whenever.
Still need replacements though!
01-28-2015, 11:31 AM
Uh, before we get our role PMs, can we discuss some meta strategy I think would make for a more interesting game?

For Town:
Last game only one team in reasonable doubt was Rejected. (a few teams were rejected but that was because it was public consensus the team leader was scum, or in a couple cases because that the team leader had claimed scum)

I think this is pretty bad play, because we can learn more information if we reject a few teams first? If there's even a 20% chance of a team being accepted, spies have a reasonable incentive to ensure there's a spy on the team and/or vote to approve. Therefore we can derive information from these earlier rejected teams.

I suggest default to Deny for the first couple teams, maybe longer.

For Scum:

Ok as mentioned last game it's always good for only the number of spies required to fail a mission fail it. Having more spies vote fail than necessary just reveals info to Town.

So here's a simple meta-rule to ensure there's never excessive fails. On this sign-up list:
1. dC
2. Donuts
3. reaverb
4. speedchuck
5. Palamedes
-
6. Mecha_Goomba
7. Callistic
8. Mister Visceral
9. pE
10. Lawsome

Whichever spy is highest on the list should decide whether to fail or pass the mission

So for example, if spies pE and speedchuck were on the first mission with Town dc, pE should always vote success and speedchuck should vote fail if they believe it is correct (perhaps speedchuck could believe that having everybody believe mission 1 to be Town is better, so he could vote succeed to make the mission succeed).

If spies are on the fourth mission, the top two people on the list should decide whether to vote succeed or fail, and any spies further down should vote success. (Although the 2 spy fail missions do have unavoidable overlap so I would almost certainly vote fail in these missions)
01-28-2015, 11:36 AM
Um, reaverb. I think the game is balanced over the scum not knowing if the other scum are going to activate or not.
01-28-2015, 11:54 AM
(01-28-2015 11:36 AM)speedchuck Wrote:  Um, reaverb. I think the game is balanced over the scum not knowing if the other scum are going to activate or not.
Whenever I've read/heard about resistance strategy spy meta-rules are one of the first things to come up. (So at the very least it doesn't break the game)

Normally meatspace version of that tactic is "whoever sits closed to the team leader going left decided whether to send in the fail card"

I think having to avoid voting in blocs without private communication is enough of a challenge?

I know there are versions of Resistance which deter those kinds of rules with plot cards, it's just not in this version.
01-28-2015, 11:58 AM (This post was last modified: 01-28-2015 12:07 PM by amosmyn.)
Game discussion's totally cool. I'll withhold the role PMs for now; I'd like it if discussion ends when I confirm that they are sent out.

I may include Oberon in this game for the purpose of anti-meta; if so, I will indicate that the change has taken place.

Blind Ol' Opa Ron (DiTaliano's):
The DiTaliano team keeps forgetting who you are because you're of German descent and don't actually belong to the DiTaliano family; your team will not be informed of your identity and, since you're blind, you won't be informed of their identities either. Merlin will still know your identity.
01-28-2015, 12:04 PM
@amos: Safe to assume you'll step in if something's suggested that you don't want to happen in your game, yeah?

@discussion: I especially like town rejecting teams more...it's like with regular mafia and bandwagons, seeing how people vote is a key insight so making them vote more = more information for town. Hell, seeing how people construct their team if they are reached twice in one day (or twice in general) is valuable info as well.
01-28-2015, 12:09 PM
You guys talking gives me the opportunity to make sure the game is fair for all, lol.
01-28-2015, 12:17 PM
(01-28-2015 12:04 PM)dichotomousCreator Wrote:  Hell, seeing how people construct their team if they are reached twice in one day (or twice in general) is valuable info as well.
The normal rule here is "If there are five team leaders in one day, the fifth leader's team is automatically approved."

This is to keep resistance from cycling through the team leaders forever.

It's been ambiguous if it's applied here in the past.
(The original rule was that five rejected missions in a row is a spy win but obviously it never made sense to reject the fifth mission)
01-28-2015, 12:23 PM
Ah, right...so I guess a rule to that effect DOES need to be put up, but I feel like a better rule to prevent cycling than a hard limit might exist? (Either some variety of soft limit or something else to make it undesirable to town). Might be a bit too late to be making modifications though :V
01-28-2015, 01:03 PM
I always like more (balanced) roles, always makes the game more interesting, so my vote is for adding Oberon.

Regarding rejecting teams, you have to be careful because the fourth/fifth people to suggest teams if you reject everything could be scum and those are the missions you have to okay. Also, to be honest after the first round or two everyone starts forming the teams together so there's not much of a point in just rejecting them (since you'd be choosing teams just to reject them which just results in everyone rejecting them and ???)

Half of the problem with these strategies is that they fall apart once you actually state them outright.
01-28-2015, 02:44 PM
I'd like Oberon to be around.
01-28-2015, 02:53 PM
Oberon does add some more uncertainty to the spy team (which in turn allows a counterbalance of slightly larger missions, which is probably funnier!). I'm not seeing any downsides to including him other than overcomplicating the spy team's difficulties (and the fact that it might load a whole bunch of spy team nerf onto one player? But it's probably not unfun or anything). So yeah, +1 to include him from me I think.
01-28-2015, 03:57 PM
Oberon is blessed with the benefit of not knowing the scum team in some regards. Certainly could mess with Merlin a bit, certainly wouldn't be as biased towards the scum team.

But obviously these are pretty minor; it's a role meant to be used to handicap scum.
02-02-2015, 07:35 AM
I'm not sure playing as Oberon would be fun.

I also think Oberon makes gambit-y spies willing letting a mission succeed an even worse idea (because if the next mission has the succeeding team + other person and two fail cards are thrown it's obvious the original team had a spy)

I'm fine with testing out the role but those are my vague concerns.

Also it would still be a good idea for the three networked spies to use a meta rule, so I'm not sure how much Oberon helps with that concern.
02-02-2015, 09:57 PM
I'm curious about this one actually. I'd join but I'm guessing it's all full up? If it is mind if I be a replacement instead?
02-02-2015, 11:48 PM
Sweet yes a replacement.
02-07-2015, 03:55 AM
Roles will be dealt out within a week.
The game will start shortly after that.
02-14-2015, 01:34 PM
(02-07-2015 03:55 AM)amosmyn Wrote:  Roles will be dealt out within a week.
The game will start shortly after that.
Can you give us an updated estimate of when the game will start?
02-14-2015, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2015 03:38 PM by amosmyn.)
Roles are being sent out right now!
Game start will be... Lets say Monday.

Edit: Roles have been sent out!
Please confirm here so that things are prompt to go!
02-14-2015, 04:00 PM
Confirming receipt of role PM!
02-14-2015, 04:19 PM
Confarm
02-14-2015, 05:37 PM
I hath received my conformationsn

"We love eloquence for its own sake, and not for any truth which it may utter, or any heroism it may inspire."
-Henry David Thoreau
02-14-2015, 10:11 PM
Confirm
02-15-2015, 12:00 AM
confirm
02-15-2015, 03:02 AM
Confirm.
02-15-2015, 04:18 AM
Hi yes confirm.
02-15-2015, 05:42 AM
Confirm
02-15-2015, 02:45 PM
'firmed

It's time to, T-T-T-T-T-T TRIPLE POST
02-15-2015, 03:23 PM
Callistic is the only person left to confirm btw.
02-15-2015, 06:14 PM
(I vaguely recall Callistic citing busyness over in FTL Mafia, that might have to do with it. This doesn't count as discussing a game in process, right? :V)
02-16-2015, 08:48 AM
Nah it doesn't, don't worry dC!
Any real-life obligations are totally fine to speak of because they're global matters.
02-17-2015, 07:02 AM
Just waiting on Callistic. If anyone wants to take his place, by all means.
02-17-2015, 07:46 AM
(N.B: Callistic is in fact female)
02-17-2015, 11:43 AM
Hello if there is space available in this I am willing to sign up for that sweet last-minute replace-in slot.

The one, the only, Vancho!
02-17-2015, 12:05 PM
Yes! Ten people.

Can we start hunting for spies/proposing teams/whatever now?
02-17-2015, 12:49 PM
Vancho1 has replaced Callistic.
Day starts at my convenience, but yes asap.