Complete The Resistance: DeFranco's Fine French Cuisine: GAME OVER, 5 Stars!
02-17-2015, 01:03 PM
RE: The Resistance: DeFranco's Fine French Cuisine
Mission 1
Round 1

Turn Order
(I ran this through a RNG and it said 1 so dC leads and it's in signup order for convenience)

1. dC
2. Donuts
3. reaverb
4. speedchuck
5. Palamedes
6. Mecha_Goomba
7. Vancho1
8. Mister Visceral
9. pE
10. Lawsome

There are 6 Townies, 4 Minions. dC will be the first mission leader, then Donut then reaverb, etc.
When dC is ready to propose a team, he will do so in BOLD in this format:
Player1/Player2/Player3

Only the team leader is permitted to use boldface barring mod questions.

Players required per quest:
Quest 1: 3
Quest 2: 4
Quest 3: 4
Quest 4: 5 (Will only fail if sabotaged by two people)
Quest 5: 5

As usual, don't edit posts, don't contact people about the game and there is no scumchat.

Try to get mission proposals in quickly. Each team leader has a maximum 3 days to propose a team, but everyone probably would appreciate it faster. Thanks!
02-17-2015, 01:23 PM
(02-14-2015 04:00 PM)dichotomousCreator Wrote:  Confirming receipt of role PM!

(02-14-2015 05:37 PM)Mister Visceral Wrote:  I hath received my conformationsn

These are the two scummiest confirm posts imo.

Just the psychology behind them - spies are going to be more thrown when they get their PM, they have more information (their teammates) to integrate and have to consider how to approach the game ahead.

Both of them indicate a bit more thought put into them than normal, having little gimmicks/jokes. Like their role PM made them pause for a bit.

So I'm probably going to autodeny DC's team. It isn't much but better than nothing, and there's not deterrent to denying teams as much as we want (although I would not object to amos ninja'ing one in).
02-17-2015, 01:25 PM
I will also consider denying MV's team but I think by the time he's a leader we'll have more information.
02-17-2015, 01:48 PM
MoThEr FuCkIn WoNdErFuL

9th.

i just hope the princess made-a-lotz-a SPAGHETTI

It's time to, T-T-T-T-T-T TRIPLE POST
02-17-2015, 01:50 PM
oh yeah and for lolz im gonna autodeny DC's team cause that honestly does look terribly over-energetic

02-17-2015, 01:51 PM
I thought sensible play was to deny the first team anyway? (Similar reasoning to not doing nothing on a given mafia/witch hunt day other than lynching an individual).

Anyway. I am tossing up between proposing a team NOW to move things along or waiting for more people to weigh in. I guess the main thing people will want to weigh in on is probably the team I propose, so...

I propose dichotomousCreator/Palamedes/reaverb. Reasoning: I'm town, reaverb seems honest with that analysis stuff so far, and Pala is the person I think would be most dangerous as scum (ergo, data points on Pala = good)
02-17-2015, 01:53 PM
pala=always scum

haha, naw im kidding. im still keeping where i stand though

02-17-2015, 02:00 PM
Isn't it a bad idea to reject a lot of teams? I've only played the Resistance once, but I would think you get more information from seeing how many failures there are, and if a certain team fails.

Anyway, I am fine with this team. It gives us information on reaverb (Who is going to be a team leader, definitely), and Palamedes (NEVER FORGET).

The one, the only, Vancho!
02-17-2015, 02:04 PM
Also just a reminder that voting is handed in to Amos privately. He said he "reveals results" afterward so I think that just means everyone's vote is made public once they are all submitted privately (confirm this?). I guess nobody is stopping you from making your vote public but it might affect how others vote (e.g. we could potentially have caught scum by fishing for approval votes but it is likely that everyone can just get away with deny votes now which is unfortunate) so use discretion.

Also you're not allowed to use bold text, only I'm allowed to use bold text.

PREVIEW EDIT: The idea is that there will be a total of five teams accepted (barring catastrophic failure by one side or the other), but the number of teams denied depends on how long we wait before accepting. Since each denial vote and team proposition provides us with hard info, each denied team effectively provides information.

As such, lots of denials = lots of extra info. We get the mission failure info regardless of how many teams we deny so long as we ultimately approve a team that provides us with good info.

At least I think this is how this works?
02-17-2015, 02:21 PM
Yeah, as soon as someone bolds a team, its time to PM me your vote. Approve or deny, when all votes are in Ill post the results and we'll either proceed or pass the leader token on. This voting round is publicly revealed.
If the team is approved, no talkin' til the approved team puts in their pass/fail votes and I post the mission results. These votes are anonymous.
02-17-2015, 02:23 PM
Oh, so not like the game in person. I am used to everyone revealing the votes and giving reasoning in the subsequent rounds.

02-17-2015, 02:26 PM
EBWOP: Also, I guess each team pick gives you information on who each person trusts, but that's not really a guarantee (town can trust scum if the scum is not yet known, scum can pick town for the team to make the town look suspicious if the mission fails, etc.), so I don't really think that denying as many teams as possible is necessarily a good idea (I mean, it forces you into picking the last person's team, or the second-to-last... basically, you get less leeway, because what if the next leader is suspicious...)

02-17-2015, 02:31 PM
Few points of clarification:

1) Are we permitted to talk while PMing of vote approval/denial happens?
2) Do I have to PM you my vote, or is it just assumed to be "Approved"? (And for lulz, can a team leader deny their own team if they so choose?)
3) By "This voting round" do you mean "All team approval/denial votes" or "Some team approval/denial votes, including this one"? (Assuming the former)

@Vancho: I think that's more or less what's happening? The reason we send votes into Amos who then tells us how the vote went is because otherwise some people would have to post votes in-thread first and other people could vote based on the first people's votes. This is the only way to get the "everyone simultaneously reveals their vote" thing to work with just the facilities available on the forums.
02-17-2015, 02:32 PM
EBWOP: There was no indication that we'd be forced into picking anyone's team. I just assumed that if we rejected everyone's teams it'd wrap around back to the first person and we'd continue from there. If there's a hard (or soft I guess) limit on rejections then yeah we need to be a lot more careful.
02-17-2015, 03:09 PM
(02-17-2015 01:23 PM)reaverb Wrote:  These are the two scummiest confirm posts imo.

Just the psychology behind them - spies are going to be more thrown when they get their PM, they have more information (their teammates) to integrate and have to consider how to approach the game ahead.

Both of them indicate a bit more thought put into them than normal, having little gimmicks/jokes. Like their role PM made them pause for a bit.

So I'm probably going to autodeny DC's team. It isn't much but better than nothing, and there's not deterrent to denying teams as much as we want (although I would not object to amos ninja'ing one in).

I could agree with you on dC, but from a purely meta view Vic is always like that. Either way, I'm not super invested in following those? pE following you along is also meh but hey that's just how he is.

(02-17-2015 02:00 PM)Vancho1 Wrote:  Palamedes (NEVER FORGET).

How dare you.
02-17-2015, 03:54 PM
(02-17-2015 02:32 PM)dichotomousCreator Wrote:  EBWOP: There was no indication that we'd be forced into picking anyone's team. I just assumed that if we rejected everyone's teams it'd wrap around back to the first person and we'd continue from there. If there's a hard (or soft I guess) limit on rejections then yeah we need to be a lot more careful.

In the official rules, five rejected teams for one mission is an instant Scum win, but I think we're just making the fifth team auto-approved. Which means that the more teams we reject, the less options we have.

02-17-2015, 04:04 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2015 04:06 PM by amosmyn.)
(02-17-2015 02:23 PM)Vancho1 Wrote:  Oh, so not like the game in person. I am used to everyone revealing the votes and giving reasoning in the subsequent rounds.

(02-17-2015 02:31 PM)dichotomousCreator Wrote:  Few points of clarification:

1) Are we permitted to talk while PMing of vote approval/denial happens?
2) Do I have to PM you my vote, or is it just assumed to be "Approved"? (And for lulz, can a team leader deny their own team if they so choose?)
3) By "This voting round" do you mean "All team approval/denial votes" or "Some team approval/denial votes, including this one"? (Assuming the former)

Send me a vote saying if you approve this team or deny it.
The approve/deny votes will be revealed after everyone votes, including the names of the voters.
Voting rounds are rounds where people decide to approve or deny a team. Missions are missions, the ones where people decide whether a mission succeeds.

And yes, you're allowed to communicate at any time except when a mission is happening (when a team is approved).
I don't want team proposals to be used as tools to silence people, so yeah, you have to be able to talk technically.

And bolding Autodeny doesn't do anything, just to clarify. You still have to PM me.
02-17-2015, 04:17 PM
I have no inherent problems with dC's proposed team. Then again, this is my first time playing the game sooooooooooooooooo

"We love eloquence for its own sake, and not for any truth which it may utter, or any heroism it may inspire."
-Henry David Thoreau
02-18-2015, 12:15 PM
donut, speedchuck, Mecha_Goomba and Lawsome need to post :/

I don't think sending votes to Amos before everybody posts is a good idea.

@Palamedes Do you plan to approve or deny this first team?

(02-17-2015 01:51 PM)dichotomousCreator Wrote:  Pala is the person I think would be most dangerous as scum (ergo, data points on Pala = good)
Gold star to whoever spots the valuation error.

(@Amos Can we change our approve/deny votes if we change our mind before everybody approves/denies?)
02-18-2015, 12:21 PM
What exactly do you mean by valuation error?
02-18-2015, 12:22 PM
(EBWOP: Not asking for an answer as to what the error in that post IS, just clarification on the term you're using)
02-18-2015, 12:24 PM
You cannot change your vote onve its sent in.
Six votes have been submitted thus far, setting a deadline for two days from this post's timestamp (Thursday at 8:30pm EST)
02-18-2015, 12:35 PM
I'm assuming that even once the vote becomes a foregone conclusion you still wait for vote submissions from everyone else?

Which reminds me, what HAPPENS at that deadline? Do non-voters abstain or receive an automatic vote of some kind? Is abstaining even permitted, and if so how does it affect the tallies?
02-18-2015, 12:37 PM
(02-18-2015 12:24 PM)amosmyn Wrote:  Six votes have been submitted thus far, setting a deadline for two days from this post's timestamp
Uh, you probably shouldn't have said this.

Because only six people so far have posted, and I haven't sent in a vote, so I know somebody has sent in a vote but not posted.

You know who has reason to do that? Spies....

Specifically, a spy with a teammate on the current mission.

So everybody else absolutely needs to deny this mission.

I was already suspecting there was one spy in DC/Pala but now yeah now I'm 99% certain.

We might want to mass claim/unclaim having sent a vote in before amos made that post.
02-18-2015, 12:40 PM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2015 12:42 PM by amosmyn.)
[Image: pbhwzq7.gif]

Thiiiink whatever you'd like.
02-18-2015, 12:43 PM
(02-18-2015 12:21 PM)dichotomousCreator Wrote:  What exactly do you mean by valuation error?
Valuation is the game skill of being able to value particularly elements of a game.

So if you said "Cop is a more powerful role than Doctor" that would be using valuation (Let's say you had a weird role that let you choose to either be a Cop or a Doctor pre-game).

An example of a valuation error would be "We should No Lynch Day 1 in Mafia games because it's more likely to hit a Townie than scum."
02-18-2015, 01:18 PM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2015 01:21 PM by amosmyn.)
For the sake of making sure nobody's knickers are in a knot, you can now change your vote.

This is how it's going to work for future rounds:

The team leader will have two days to decide upon a team. Everyone will have three days to talk, and a total of five days to cast an approve/deny vote. If all ten votes are in, I will advance the round as soon as possible. I will also advance the round automatically if there are seven deny votes prior to the team even being announced; in the event of this, I'll just go ahead and move things forward so we don't have to wait for a "confirmed scummy" to make a denied team.

In the event of a player not casting a vote, he/she will be replaced at the end of the voting deadline, no questions asked.
The first replacement required will have their vote converted into a DENY vote, the second APPROVE, the third DENY and so on. If you need to replace out, please do it before it becomes a concern of time and preferably cast a vote before doing so.

Please send your votes by PM to me with the title in this format:
Resistance M#R# - <Approve/Deny>
& for missions: Resistance M# - <Pass/Fail>
e.g. Resistance M1R1 - Approve
Resistance M1 - Fail
This will save time and energy and make the process of doing votals much more convenient.

I'll repeat this at the beginning of next round and post it in the OP.
02-18-2015, 02:20 PM
RE: The Resistance: DeFranco's Fine French Cuisine: Mission 1 Round 1
Statistical quirk: The chances of two players selected at random both being town are only 36%. So if you're town, it was already a pretty safe bet that one of us is scum. Additionally this means that completely random team selection only has 36% odds of not getting scum.

Think I've spotted the valuation error you're referring to, is it the assumption that Mission 1 failing is worth it for the information received if it fails? If this is the case:

I have no specific reason to suspect Pala so he was no better or worse as a selection than any other player. The valuation is that given my lack of information my selection of a third can have no actual impact on how likely Mission 1 is to fail, and thus I should select whoever it is most imperative to get information to refer to. I judged that to be Palamedes. (As for why I made a team before having access to information to make judgments, I reasoned that said information would most likely come from discussing prior teams and thus as the first team maker my optimal contribution is to produce a team as fast as possible to initiate discussion)

So basically the only info I had was your initial discussion of role PM confirmations, which I judged to be of sufficient honesty to make you a better-than-average candidate. Including myself (because I know I'm town, blah blah etc) leaves a spot for a third and nothing to judge on it except a very minor "don't include Visceral".

Also I'm expecting the team to primarily serve to provoke discussion. Obviously I've selected the team I think best for the situation, but realistically it will serve more to have people talk about it than it will to actually BE the mission 1 team. In this regard, placing Palamedes on it puts him in a much more interesting position than not doing so.

tl;dr the mission 1 failure case wasn't about "let's try and fail the mission to catch Pala", it was about building a team that would provide the best outcome in the bad situation of a mission 1 failure. Essentially it's the tiebreaker argument again: A team should always be constructed with success as the foremost goal, but when a number of candidates are equally likely to succeed (in this case everyone except myself and you provided identical odds), other selection criteria come in to play (in this case, placing dangerous players under scrutiny)

Anyway I kind of thought this was relatively obvious, but here's a full and thorough explanation of my thought process for selecting Palamedes as a third when team constructing.
02-18-2015, 03:26 PM
DC, you're still missing something.

However, I'd rather hear somebody else on the subject (there's a reason I didn't just say the error).

I'll explain it either way once the mission is approve/denied.
02-18-2015, 03:41 PM
Well yeah I kinda figured you weren't just being obtuse for no reason, given how forthright you've been about everything else.

If what I addressed isn't the problem (and you'd rather get a third party opinion, presumably to corroborate your position?) then I guess I'm content to wait for an explanation.

Also I need to shut my yap so we can actually gather information from other people at some point :/
02-18-2015, 08:23 PM
Quote:Because only six people so far have posted, and I haven't sent in a vote, so I know somebody has sent in a vote but not posted.

That was me, I came in didn't have time to make a post but wanted to reject the team, so I did that and am now making a post later.

I rejected the team. I may have misread the rules, but I can't see a reason why we can't just keep rejecting indefinitely apart from that it will get boring after a while. Reasoning behind rejection: Not everyone has even posted so I can't really have any more that faint reads on people, and dC made the team with even less information to work with than me.

Anyway, posts made my vote are giving me a slight town read on DC and Pala. pE has failed to contribute much but fluff. I'd like pE to get in here and post some content, all the other inactive players to do the same.
02-18-2015, 10:04 PM
i am here and will send in my vote after this post

thoughts:
i don't get the whole "role confirmations" thing bc i feel like it's g4asping at straws,but i agree with reaverb on other stuff
02-19-2015, 12:50 AM
Not sure if it made it into the rules or not but the fifth round is automatically approved.
As soon as the team is confirmed that round, discussion is over and the team members must decide whether the mission will pass/fail.
02-19-2015, 04:45 AM
Which is why we should be cautious in just rejecting every team, because we're limiting my options.

Anyway, right now we have very little information. If the first round fails, we have a guaranteed scum in the team, and if it succeeds, those people have a slight townread (because scum can always choose to approve a mission), plus we have a better margin of error for the next rounds. This team gives information on two people who are guaranteed to be leaders at some point (Pala and Reaverb), so I think that it's fine if it goes through.

02-19-2015, 06:32 AM
(02-19-2015 12:50 AM)amosmyn Wrote:  Not sure if it made it into the rules or not but the fifth round is automatically approved.
I looked over the rules and I couldn't find this. (I did this last night so maybe you ninja'd it in)

@Vancho1 Under that logic, wouldn't something like donut/reaverb/speedchuck be a better team? So we can learn about two people likely to be leaders sooner rather than later.

What would your preferred team be?
02-19-2015, 07:35 AM
@Amos Can we get a speedchuck prod?

Because given how much he's posted in FTL while ignoring this my only conclusion is he forgot he signed up.
02-19-2015, 07:46 AM
Oh, I'm here. I just have very little to say until we get the result of at least one thing. Or, at least, nothing that hasn't been said already.
02-19-2015, 08:05 AM
I voted to deny because we've discussed basically nothing and ending the day like that is probably not a good idea. It's possible we won't get any more information this mission but I'm not sure if we lose anything by denying this team.
02-19-2015, 08:08 AM
(02-19-2015 12:50 AM)amosmyn Wrote:  Not sure if it made it into the rules or not but the fifth round is automatically approved.
As soon as the team is confirmed that round, discussion is over and the team members must decide whether the mission will pass/fail.

...yeah I never saw this either and it's pretty important.

Valuation wise: I included myself in the team because it means there's only two potential scum. Is it or is it not worth picking three people who aren't the leader (in future picks) to get information about more people, at the increased risk of picking scum? I was assuming it is not, but wanted to check my thinking.

also @reaverb: I don't quite get why you're saying donut/reaver/speedchuck is better for letting us learn stuff "sooner rather than later"?
02-19-2015, 08:10 AM
Round 1 has been denied.
Approve: Vancho1, dC
Deny: Everyone else

Donut is the new team leader.
It is now Round 2.
02-19-2015, 08:10 AM
(02-19-2015 07:46 AM)speedchuck Wrote:  Oh, I'm here. I just have very little to say until we get the result of at least one thing. Or, at least, nothing that hasn't been said already.
There's a lot of things to say.

Do you support the DC/Palamedes/reaverb team? Why or why not?

Who do you think are the spies?

Who are your townreads?
02-19-2015, 08:17 AM
(02-19-2015 08:08 AM)dichotomousCreator Wrote:  also @reaverb: I don't quite get why you're saying donut/reaver/speedchuck is better for letting us learn stuff "sooner rather than later"?
The sooner we get information, the sooner we can use that information, the more missions we can pass.

Vancho said they liked that DC/Palamedes/reaverb gave information about future team leaders. Under that logic, I think it would make more sense to suggest everybody who's next in the line for being a team leader for mission 1.

I would like to know more about Vancho's logic there.
02-19-2015, 08:21 AM
alright so i've got two people (me and reaverb(me bc obvious reasons and reaver because he's probably town?)) but i have no clue who should b the third
02-19-2015, 08:50 AM
@Donut I'd say 'pick me' but I don't wanna be roped in with you... *unfounded suspicion*
(02-19-2015 08:10 AM)reaverb Wrote:  
(02-19-2015 07:46 AM)speedchuck Wrote:  Oh, I'm here. I just have very little to say until we get the result of at least one thing. Or, at least, nothing that hasn't been said already.
Do you support the DC/Palamedes/reaverb team? Why or why not?
No. While I'm pretty sure you are town based on your first posts, which are so ridiculous to me that I just can't see scum motivation for them, I do not have a townread on Pala. And I distrust anyone who does have one on him.
Who do you think are the spies?
Lawsome, for having a townread on Pala (explain pls), and Vancho, for making a lot of posts about mechanics to seem helpful.
Who are your townreads?
Reaverb (despite you saying I needed prodding, how dare you) and maaaaybe dC. Not feeling too trusty today.
02-19-2015, 09:07 AM
@speedchuck

A) Could you go into detail on your Palamedes opinon? You say you "do not have a townread" on Pala but you consider that enough reason to suspicious of anybody who does have a townread on him? Is that a scumread?

B) You say that Vancho has a lot of mechanical posts (and is therfore scummy) but DC actually has a lot of mechanical posts too! What do you think of DC in light of that?

----

@Master Visceral
(02-17-2015 04:17 PM)Mister Visceral Wrote:  I have no inherent problems with dC's proposed team. Then again, this is my first time playing the game sooooooooooooooooo
This is your only post in-thread, but you denied DC's team. Can you go into detail about why you did that?

----

(@DC I'll explain the Pala valuation thing in a little when I have time, I don't have a reason to not give it except I haven't written the post yet.)
02-19-2015, 09:08 AM
I'll reserve speculation on Vancho's motives until Vancho actually posts regarding them.

In the meantime, I'd like to hear about that valuation dealie now that my team has been knocked back?
02-19-2015, 09:11 AM
EBWOP:

...er, disregard that second bit I guess. reaverb confirmed for Oracle even though that's not a thing in this game? :V
02-19-2015, 09:16 AM
Pala has one post. Having a townread based on that one post (which had a metaread and a joke) is a little ridiculous. So it's a null read. And it bothers me if anyone can get a townread out of that. Perhaps that townread could further some ulterior motive.

That second thing is a good point though.
02-19-2015, 10:00 AM
im gonna say right now that at least vancho isnt mafia. I mean it's a better possibility. but i believe that mafia voted against the team. DC still isnt clear for me

02-19-2015, 10:32 AM
My motives are as such:

I have only played this game once, and in person. In that game, most of the information came from whether a team succeeded/failed a mission, and less from who proposed the mission. Knowing who trusts who enough to put them on a team is useful, but what is the most useful is whether the mission was a failure, and the intersections in teams between failed or succeeded missions.

I thought that the previous team (dichotomousCreator/Palamedes/reaverb) would provide useful information because both reaverb and Pala are within the first five teams, which means they are guaranteed to propose a team. By this logic, a team containing the next set of leaders guarantees useful information for subsequent rounds.

With regards to dC, it's ridiculous to not vote for your own team. Why propose a team in the first place?

I am sure that clarifying mechanics is useful for everyone, so I take offense to the insinuation that it is scummy.

My instinct is to continue approving teams, as we cannot move forward without more information. Either the mission fails, and we can start narrowing down the list of possible scum, the mission succeeds and we're one step closer to winning (and there is a slight townread on the people on that mission, assuming that scum didn't decide to succeed first round anyway), or, in the best-case scenario, the mission fails with 2 failures, in which case we've practically caught one scum and Oberron.