Video Game Design (C++, GML, Java, etc)
04-11-2013, 08:32 AM
Video Game Design (C++, GML, Java, etc)
So I'm rather interested in seeing how many of you have dabbled in game design before, with Game Maker, Java, C++, whatever. Heck, if you've worked with someone who has done game design, that'd be interesting to hear about too.

What sorta stuff have you made? Do you have a portfolio of works? Do you create all the content in your games or have others make your sprites, graphics, models, music, sound effects, code, etc. ?

Looking for more "original" developments in this thread as opposed to mods and hacks of preexisting software.

I'll chip in later as the topic develops.
04-11-2013, 08:46 AM
RE: Video Game Design (C++, GML, Java, etc)
I've been a long-time user of Game Maker myself (six to seven years now? can't quite remember), and I've recently picked up Java alongside my computer science classes. I'm not the best person for game design, as I'm generally lacking in the graphical or audio aspect of it. Sometimes I throw together a silly little game that has entertainment value, but that's about it.

I've recently gotten back into the swing of things as a silly little JavaScript game I made quickly gained popularity amongst my peers. Perhaps I'll compile some screenshots/links of my works, but they're mostly unfinished, outdated, or just plain silly.
04-11-2013, 01:10 PM
It's not exactly a game, but I've been working on a tool to aid with tabletop RPGs. I took the language files from Dwarf Fortress and parsed them into a local SQLite database. Just for kicks I made a fortune generator to test out a few queries on the database, made some really terrible fortunes. I'm currently working on generating loot, but if I really ran with the idea, I could use this to generate dialogue, NPCs, towns, et cetra.

I'm currently making the application in C#, but I parsed the text files into the database with java. I'm moving towards loading more functions and procedures in the database and making the application code as minimal as possible.
04-11-2013, 09:22 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2013 09:25 PM by anacreon.)
Unity, I have also dabbled with Construct 2. I am currently involved with a Project actually. My Construct 2 stuff is in the Windows 8 app store.

I want to try Making something with the Source Engine.

I know Java, C++, and C sharp.

[Image: sonicsig2.jpg]
Steam
04-12-2013, 01:30 AM
I used to use Gamemaker a bit, and I've recently acquired some experience with Unity. I also know C, Java, Lua, and C#. I haven't really made anything major yet though. None of the stuff I made in Gamemaker was ever finished, and my more recent stuff has all been assigned work for the game development degree I'm pursuing, so it's all been really small-scale stuff.

My main handicap is that I'm kind of terrible at the graphical side of things. I can make decent looking inanimate objects in sprite graphics, but I can't do anything alive, and I can't do 3D. That's also kind of why none of my earlier games got finished, I kept getting frustrated by the knowledge that they'd look terrible no matter how much I refined the mechanics.