FoS-The Good, the Bad, and the Undying
02-16-2015, 03:35 PM (This post was last modified: 05-16-2015 04:43 AM by WillyDeWulfe.)
FoS-The Good, the Bad, and the Undying
[Image: FoSLogo.gif]

Feats of Strength (FoS) is a tabletop RPG that I have been working on for several months. Even though it's designed for tabletop, it has also been designed to be simple and should work on a forum. Everything in the system is built on the idea of having small interchangeable pieces, allowing for an incredible amount of versatility and diversity within a stable frame of rules. I've had a thread about it over at Eagle Time for a while.

Now you guys are going to help me play test it. Here is the PDF with the rules, but I will try to explain most of it in this post.

Welcome to The Territories.
'Round these parts, Cowboys, sometimes literal cow-men, ride horses and tend to their herds with lassos. Most of the land is flat scrubby prairie marked by occasional red mountains. There're a few towns out here and even more abandoned ghost towns.

We call this wide stretch of barren land “The Territories”. Thousands of explorers went west of the “civilized” world seeking their fortune in this inhospitable place. Schemers and thieves soon followed, seeking their fortune among the explorers. The local settlements try to keep order as best they can, but the law usually ends up being decided by the person with the fastest trigger finger.

Despite the danger, more people flock to The Territories every day, usually prospectors from the cities expecting to get rich quick because of some faulty rumor. Some of the settlements have built up enough people to become proper cities, like the famous Shimmer City built next to the Big Bend River, and all those people need stuff. Traders make regular trips through The Territories selling their wares to the people scratching out a living in this land.

The largest group of settlers in The Territories are humanoid, but a few enterprising bestials have moved out of the cities and into the settlements too. However, most of the bestials in The Territories are natives that have lived here long before the settlers.

Constructs are quite common, usually of the steam powered robot variety. Most of them take on hazardous or tiring jobs like mining and leave soft stuff like bar tending to the fleshies.

When the unnaturals immigrated onto this plane of reality, most people turned them away and they couldn’t find jobs in the cities. Desperate, many unnaturals journeyed to The Territories and found work building railroads. The men in charge of the railroads were quite pleased with this; unnaturals work for much less than the other races and are even cheaper than building and maintaining constructs.

OVERVIEW
This game has a western theme, set in a world mirroring America around 1863-1869. Unlike reality though, this world has robots, creatures from other dimensions, and talking animals.

Even though I'm going for a western theme, players can be pretty much anything. Cockroach mafioso? Sure. Psychic Eyeball? Why not? Sexy Zombie? Go for it. Drunken Dwarf? Well, I guess if you want to be something traditional.

This is intended to be sort of a stress test, so munchkining is allowed to some extent. Don't be a dick, but feel free to exploit any loopholes you see.

I have designed an adventure that I think is pretty interesting and has a good, if not entirely unique, villain. Every fight can be avoided with high skill bonuses and good luck, but it's not easy and I hope combat happens at some point so we can test it.

After you beat that adventure, the game opens up. I don't have anything in particular planned, but I have written some rules on randomly generating dungeons and such. At this point, I will be trying to kill the characters. Don't worry, there are ways to come back to life. The game is over when everyone dies or their character otherwise retires.

Everything can be found in this massive PDF that I've made. Hit Ctrl-F and use the nice guide I have below to help you find your way around.

The only thing you will need to read/skim in the PDF is the section on feats in Chapter 2. Everything else is summarized below.

If you have an ebook reader like iBooks, I would recommend sticking it in there. It makes it MUCH easier to read than a straight PDF.

There are a few minor errors in the PDF. If you guys see any you should let me know.

CHAPTERS SUMMARIZED
1-The Basics (Page 3)
Basically, everything that isn't damage is a roll of 3d6 that I will roll for you. Feats and other bonuses or penalties affect this.
2-Character Creation (Page 10)
Probably THE most important chapter since it contains all the feats and everything. It also explains about levels, death, and identities. I have the highlights here, but you will need to skim through the feats section.

Common Characteristics: No matter the character, they all have a few things in common (assuming they didn't take a feat to change that). The most important thing from this section is that everyone has two hands. This means that they can hold two things at a time. Hands are also required for basic attacks.

Identity: A character's identity is basically their class. It is made up of their Race, Profession, and Aptitude and largely determines what feats are available to them.
Races
Race is just a broad category of what a creature is. For example, elves and dwarves are both part of the humanoid race.

Bestials: Literally animals. The undisputed masters of unarmed combat. They may also move quickly, have heightened senses, extra hands, and other cool stuff. Even though they are animals, they can still talk and think like people.

Constructs: Robots, golems, undead, etc. Some don't get tired and never age, others are particularly good at ignoring damage, and some build items right into their bodies. Imagine having your face open up to shoot a gun at the villain who just tied up your hands.

Humanoids: Humans, elves, dwarves, trolls, etc. Humanoids are particularly good when fighting with any kind of item, even if it's not a real weapon. They also often taken on a second profession to have access to a greater number of technical skill. Many humanoids are too stubborn to die.

Unnaturals: Aliens, creatures from other dimensions, and weird stuff. Unnaturals have fantastic mental abilities like telekinesis, telepathy, and teleportation. Many of them don't fit into the normal shape of other creatures, having too many eye or being completely without legs or arms.
Professions
Professions are the character's actual job. The game assumes that they had some training in being something before they became adventurers. Professions usually focus on utility feats and skills.

Scholars: Bookworms that know a little bit about everything, even other professions!

Craftsmen: Make ALL the things! There is a fairly advanced crafting system in Chapter 6 that allows craftsmen to make all kinds of crazy weapons, armors, potions, and traps. They can also make a construct companion (a weak robot minion to help you). You probably only want this profession if you plan on making a construct companion or want to get deep into the mechanics and make some insanely awesome stuff.

Rogues: The best at sneaking and pretty good at deception. They also run quickly.

Guardians: Good defenses and great at protecting allies. A Guardian is best with a shield in his hand and an ally by his side. Often, a guardian will jump in front of his ally and take the damage from an attack instead of them.

Entertainers: Highly social and talented distracters. Characters with this profession usually act as "The Face" avoiding fights with diplomacy and distracting enemies long enough for the Rogue to stab them in the back.
Aptitudes
Aptitudes were initially based on the concept of Power Sources in DnD 4E. They are where a character's more supernatural abilities come from.

Arcane: Straight up magic. Shoot a highly customizable Magic Blast or perform sorcerous deception.

Divine: Power from belief, but not necessarily belief in gods. Pure unwavering belief in law, anarchy, that pickles are green, that your weapon will never fail you, or anything else will also work. The divine aptitude specializes in buffs and debuffs. Their Heal feat is the best heal in the game, but it cannot put a character above 4/5ths of their HP. The remaining HP has to be recovered through healing potions or resting.

Nature: Communing with nature itself grants you power. Control yourself by shifting forms or the world around you by summoning vines and forests.

Martial: Badasses who gained their abilities purely through training. They get tons of basic attacks and some accuracy bonuses. Martial characters are also good at defending themselves.

You will need to skim through the feats section in this chapter to pick your feats. Every character gets 3 feats from their race, 2 from their profession, 1 from their aptitude, and any 5 more that they qualify for. This is a total of 11 feats.

At the front of the feats section are some nice tables that tell you the feat's name, requirements, and a description of what it does. The tables are organized by the identity required for the feat. After that, the feats are listed alphabetically.
3-Combat (Page 58)
Everyone gets 2 Actions per turn. Actions can be used to attack, move, make a skill check, or use other effects granted by feats.

Basic attacks require a hand to use. There are distinctions between armed, unarmed, melee, ranged, and thrown attacks, but it's pretty self explanatory. Read the PDF or I'll explain it if it comes up. Unarmed basic attacks deal 1 damage and armed basic attacks deal 2 damage when using an item that isn't really a weapon.

Damage Types: Every attack has a damage type. This determines its base chance to hit and whether or not its damage is reduced by the target's resistances. Some feats also depend on the damage type of an attack.
Affliction: Hits on 12. Usually used for affliction rolls instead of normal attacks, but it can be used to attack. The Infectious feat makes afflictions harder to cure if the target was hit by affliction damage and the Malignancy feat can boost all affliction damage a character causes.

Cold: Hits on 7. The Heavy Ice feat makes ice cling to the targets of accurate cold attacks. This makes it harder for that character to move and the weight of the ice may start crushing them for massive damage if enough is piled on.

Energy: Hits on 10. Energy damage has the most feats and does the fanciest stuff. Thunderstruck causes targets hit with accurate energy attacks to fall prone. Chain Lightning can have energy attacks arcing off a target onto another nearby enemy. The divine aptitude has Smite, which let's them Curse enemies that they hit with energy attacks.

Fire: Hits on 7. The Arsonist feat causes accurate fire attacks to set the target ablaze, burning them over time and providing light.

Physical: Hits on 8. This is the generic damage type and there are no special feats for it. However, items with the physical damage type are cheaper. Unarmed attacks usually do physical damage.

Some feats, but usually armor, raise a character's defenses, making them harder to hit. Armor and feats can also raise a character's resistances, reducing the damage they take from that damage type.

Armor and items can break in combat. Beating a target's defense by 5 or more allows you to break the target's armor or weapon. Missing by 5 or more will cause your weapon to break. Falling and failing to roll with it can also cause items to break.

When an item breaks, it loses a tier. This means it loses the property associated with that tier and becomes less effective. If a tier 1 item breaks, it crumbles to dust and is useless.

Afflictions are status effects. Usually an affliction roll is made to cause an affliction. An affliction roll is an attack using the affliction damage type that causes an affliction instead of doing damage. Most afflictions can be cured by making a toughness skill check to cure, but doing so takes an action.

Characters at 1/5th of their HP or less gain the crippled affliction. This means that they only get 1 action per turn. The crippled affliction can be removed with a toughness check to cure against the target number 10 or by being returned to above 1/5th HP.

Characters can be subdued instead of killed. If you say you want to subdue a character, they will be left with 1 HP and be unconscious instead of dying. Some enemies are too weak to be subdued and will die if lightly tapped.
4-Movement and Distances (Page 76)
Feats of Strength uses the Zone System. If you played in Condemned Commandos, it's the same thing with more detail.

Each area is made up of zones. Characters can make melee attacks against other characters in the same zone. Characters can move between adjacent zones with 1 unit of movement. These pictures illustrate how zones usually fit together.
[Image: FoS_Zones.jpg]
[Image: FoS_Vert_Zones.jpg]

Keep in mind that zones can be any shape or size, though I will try to keep them nice and blocky.

All characters can run, swim, climb, or jump one zone with one action. Climbing is special in that it requires a toughness check, and failure means falling for some nasty damage. Some characters can also fly or teleport. A few feats allow characters to move through more zones with a single action.

Ranged attacks base their distance on how many adjacent zones away something is.

I will have a map available during combat and most other times, so you should be able to see the zones and understand where you can go.

Zones have terrain that affects the character in them. The main ones you need to worry about are walls, cover, darkness, and difficult terrain. Walls block line of sight and you can't move into that zone, but you can climb up the wall from an adjacent zone. Darkness makes you blind and blocks line of sight into or out of it. Cover allows you to make a finesse check to sneak and provides defensive bonuses. Difficult terrain takes 2 units of movement to run into, which probably means 2 actions.

5-Skills (Page 90)
Skills let characters do a lot of awesome things by rolling 3d6 and comparing it against a target number. Beating the target number by 5 or more often results in something especially good, while failing by 5 or more results in something especially bad. Many feats give bonuses to skills.

Finesse: Anything that requires fine detail. Crafting, sneaking, lock picking, etc.

Knowledge: Identification, recalling lore, medical aid, giving advice, etc.

Sense: Foraging for stuff, finding hidden characters and items, detecting lies, etc.

Social: Making friends, intimidating, deceiving, etc. Most social checks get modified by a reaction modifier based on identities. I won't go into detail here, but this means that most people like entertainers. A lot of people hate rogues and unnaturals.

Toughness: Enduring, climbing, rolling with a fall, grabbing, etc. Grabbing opens up a ton of possibilities including pushing, dragging, mugging, and force feeding.
6-Equipment and Crafting (Page 108)
This chapter has everything craftsmen need and explains how items in Feats of Strength work. I won't go into detail here since most players don't need to know.
7-GM Overview (Page 138)
GM stuff like creating enemies. Don't worry about it.
8-Examples (Page 155)
Some example characters. It may help you figure out how you want your character to be.

EQUIPMENT
I don't expect the players to dive in to the crafting system, so I've made a few example items the players can start out with. All players start out with 50 kelter to buy items. Kelter is the currency used in The Territories.

Players can wear 1 piece of armor/clothing and can hold 1 item in each hand. They can carry an infinite amount of other items as long as those items don't have the Heavy property, but they have to retrieve them with a free hand before using them.

If you want a unique item (flaming boomerang, glowing armor, umbrella gun, etc.), ask me in the thread and I'll work with you to create it. You don't have to learn the crafting rules, I'll just whip it up real quick.

Tier 1 Defensive Armor: 3 points to spread between your Affliction, Cold, Energy, Fire, and Physical defenses. The shorthand for writing defenses is: 0A-0C-0E-0F-0P. 10 Kelter.

Tier 2 Defensive Armor: 6 points to spread between your Affliction, Cold, Energy, Fire, and Physical defenses. The shorthand for writing defenses is: 0A-0C-0E-0F-0P. 20 Kelter.

Tier 3 Defensive Armor: 9 points to spread between your Affliction, Cold, Energy, Fire, and Physical defenses. The shorthand for writing defenses is: 0A-0C-0E-0F-0P. 40 Kelter.

Tier 3 Heavy Armor: 10 points to spread between your Affliction, Cold, Energy, Fire, and Physical defenses. Wearing or otherwise having this gives you a stack of encumbrance, making it a little harder to move (especially jumping and flying). The shorthand for writing defenses is: 0A-0C-0E-0F-0P. 40 Kelter.

Tier 3 Noisy Armor: 10 points to spread between your Affliction, Cold, Energy, Fire, and Physical defenses. Wearing this armor gives you the noisy affliction, giving you -5 on all finesse checks to sneak. The shorthand for writing defenses is: 0A-0C-0E-0F-0P. 40 Kelter.

Tier 3 Heavy Noisy Armor: 11 points to spread between your Affliction, Cold, Energy, Fire, and Physical defenses. Wearing or otherwise having this gives you a stack of encumbrance, making it a little harder to move (especially jumping and flying). Wearing this armor gives you the noisy affliction, giving you -5 on all finesse checks to sneak. The shorthand for writing defenses is: 0A-0C-0E-0F-0P. 40 Kelter.

Tier 3 Resistant Armor: 6 points of resistance to the Physical damage type. 40 Kelter.

Tier 2 Elemental Resistant Armor: 4 points of resistance to the Affliction, Cold, Energy, or Fire damage type. 45 Kelter.

Tier 2 Fancy Clothes: +4 to social checks to make friends. 20 Kelter.

Tier 2 Stealthy Clothes: +4 to finesse checks to sneak. 20 Kelter.

Tier 1 Melee Weapon: 1d6 Physical Damage. 10 Kelter.

Tier 2 Melee Weapon: 2d6 Physical Damage. 20 Kelter.

Tier 3 Melee Weapon: 3d6 Physical Damage. 40 Kelter.

Tier 1 Melee Elemental Weapon: 1d6 (Affliction, Cold, Energy, or Fire) Damage. 30 Kelter.

Tier 2 Melee Elemental Weapon: 2d6 (Affliction, Cold, Energy, or Fire) Damage. 45 Kelter.

Tier 1 Attuned Rod: +1 accuracy with Physical Attacks while you are holding this. This property applies even if you are not attacking with this weapon. 10 Kelter.

Tier 2 Attuned Rod: +2 accuracy with Physical Attacks while you are holding this. This property applies even if you are not attacking with this weapon. 20 Kelter.

Tier 3 Attuned Rod: +3 accuracy with Physical Attacks while you are holding this. This property applies even if you are not attacking with this weapon. 40 Kelter.

Tier 1 Attuned Elemental Rod: +1 accuracy with (Affliction, Cold, Energy, or Fire) Attacks while you are holding this. This property applies even if you are not attacking with this weapon. Choosing the Affliction damage type will boost Affliction Rolls. 30 Kelter.

Tier 2 Attuned Elemental Rod: +2 accuracy with (Affliction, Cold, Energy, or Fire) Attacks while you are holding this. This property applies even if you are not attacking with this weapon. Choosing the Affliction damage type will boost Affliction Rolls. 45 Kelter.

Single Shot Pistol: Range 1, 2d6 Physical Damage. Comes with 10 ammo. Reloading takes a free hand and can be done automatically, so there's no problem as long as you have a hand besides the one holding the gun. 40 Kelter.

Infinite Shot Pistol: Range 1, 1d6 Physical Damage. Does not require ammunition or reloading. 40 Kelter.

Elemental Single Shot Pistol: Range 1, 1d6 (Affliction, Cold, Energy, or Fire) Damage. Comes with 10 ammo. Reloading takes a free hand and can be done automatically, so there's no problem as long as you have a hand besides the one holding the gun. 45 Kelter.

Lasso: Grab and pull an enemy in an adjacent zone. You will probably want to look at the grabbing rules in the Toughness section of Chapter 5 if you plan on using this. 10 Kelter.

Illuminating Torch: Sheds light in a zone while held after touching Fire and turns off after touching Cold. Never gets used up and can be stowed without burning anything. 10 Kelter.

Eternal Torch: Sheds light in a zone while held. Does Fire damage, though it's not really built to do much damage. Never gets used up and can be stowed without burning anything. 30 Kelter.

Tool: +2 to a very specific skill check of your choice. Ex: Not just toughness checks, but toughness checks to climb walls. 20 Kelter.

Healing Potions: Recover 1d6 HP. 5 Kelter.

Empty Vial: For making your own potions. You only need these if you took the Apothecary feat. 1 Kelter.

I plan to update once per day. If a combat is basically over, I will fast forward a bit and just say you finished killing all the enemies. This helps keep things moving.

I'm looking for 4-6 players. Ridiculousness is a plus, but so is managing to fit your character into the western theme. You may even get bonuses depending on your backstory if it fits with the world. The game starts Sunday, so you have about a week.

Signup Sheet
Character Name:
Identity: (Race, Profession, Aptitude)
HP: All characters have 50 HP unless they took the Tough feat.
Speeds: Run 1, Swim 1, Climb 1, Jump 1, Fly 0, Tele 0 (You probably don't need to change these)
Feats:
  • I like to keep the feats in a list since it's so much easier to organize.
  • You get 11 feats.
  • 3 must be from you race.
  • 2 must be from your profession.
  • 1 must be from your aptitude.
  • The other 5 may be any other feats you qualify for.
  • For feats with options, write them like this:
  • Feat Name (Option Name)
  • Remember that most feats can only be taken once, but some can be taken multiple times.
Equipment: Probably some armor and a weapon. You have 50 Kelter to buy these items. Also put how much Kelter you have left over.
Defenses and Resistances:
  • Affliction: 0 Defense, 12 to hit, 0 Resistance
  • Cold: 0 Defense, 7 to hit, 0 Resistance
  • Energy: 0 Defense, 10 to hit, 0 Resistance
  • Fire: 0 Defense, 7 to hit, 0 Resistance
  • Physical: 0 Defense, 8 to hit, 0 Resistance
Description: Who is this character? Why are they in The Territories?
02-16-2015, 04:54 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2015 07:20 AM by hector212121.)
RE: FoS-The Good, the Bad, and the Undying
Must resist making a meta character...
Fails resisting making a meta character

Gonna go ahead and post what I've got so far so you can answer what questions I have.

Also, I see something completely broken. Do you plan to revise the rules if I do break things? Because if so then I need to change up my sheet a bit.

Also, I assume that the feats from "choose feats" are free and don't count towards feats for that category.
Signup Sheet
Character Name:"Quick Quentin"(Really named Liam in his real life)
Identity: (Race, Profession, Aptitude)Humanoid(Gamer:Skin looks odd and touching him gives a odd feeling, almost like touching a live wire, but causes little to no actual damage. Glitches noticeably when injured.) Craftsman, Divine(Believes he's in a videogame and uses that belief)
Speeds: Run 1, Swim 1, Climb 1, Jump 1, Fly 0, Tele 0 (You probably don't need to change these)
Feats:
I don't understand lists D:
Dabbler:Sneak of Shadows
Dual Degree:Calm Specter
Deadly Tools
Armorer
Weaponsmith
Steady Hands
Advanced Crafting
Heal
Tough
Versatility-Finesse, Social
Constructor
  • I like to keep the feats in a list since it's so much easier to organize.
  • You get 11 feats.
  • 3 must be from you race.
  • 2 must be from your profession.
  • 1 must be from your aptitude.
  • The other 5 may be any other feats you qualify for.
  • For feats with options, write them like this:
  • Feat Name (Option Name)
  • Remember that most feats can only be taken once, but some can be taken multiple times.
Equipment: Crafted Revolver from 1 rank mat preferred choices in order:Ranged, Tactical Reload, Damage, Durable; 50 Revolver Rounds, Crafted Leather Armor (Preferred:Stealthy, Defensive(3 phys), Durable)
  • Physical: 3 Defense, 8 to hit, 0 Resistance
Description: Entered virtual reality game, died, thinks this is the game. Hint: It's not. But for some reason his avatar is what formed as his body.

(12-16-2014 11:08 AM)KatoHearts Wrote:  I'm pretty good at making terrible people.
02-16-2015, 05:13 PM
Oooh, I see someone is actually going to take a stab at being a craftsman. A sneaky craftsman who can heal. That covers a lot of bases.

You can buy materials as it says in Chapter 6 for relatively cheap and then turn them in to good stuff. You can make those rolls to craft before the proper game starts, so you can start with it.

Feats from feats that say "choose a feat from another whatever" are free since you are already taking the feat that gives you that feat. Feats feats feats.

Tell me what's broken and I may change it if it's too egregious. I have my guesses, and if you can actually pull off what I think it is in the game I'll let you keep the benefits from it even if I change it.

Lists aren't too hard. Each [*] between the [list] tags is a bullet point.

You will have to choose two skills to benefit from Versatility. I'm guessing one is Finesse, but what's the other?
02-16-2015, 05:17 PM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2015 05:18 PM by hector212121.)
Simple.

Dabbler and dual degree don't say you can't switch at rest.

Also, I fixed the Versatility thing before you posted. :) I'll work with the equipment instead, but am I allowed to get gunpowder and use that to re-craft bullets rather than buying new ones?

Edit:I would explain it as a application of his Divine thing--specifiically, he thinks he's re-speccing. XD

edited edit:I mean making finesse checks for the equips.

(12-16-2014 11:08 AM)KatoHearts Wrote:  I'm pretty good at making terrible people.
02-16-2015, 05:34 PM
How much would an item that mimics Unnaturals' Blink feat cost?
02-16-2015, 05:47 PM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2015 06:39 PM by WillyDeWulfe.)
Oh damn, that's a huge oversight on my part. Good catch Hector!

For this game I will allow you to use that exploit. I will fix it in the future though. I'm doing this partially to see just how problematic it is, partially because you have a story reason, and partially because there won't be much time to rest during the main adventure.

You can retrieve any ammunition that doesn't break, including bullets. Ammunition only breaks if you miss an attack by 5 or more. I will have to work on a flavor reason for why this is because it was designed like that for bows and arrows.

---

Gorsgan: I never intended to have items that worked like that and if they do eventually become a thing, it won't be in this game.

However, you can still get access to the unnatural's blink feat without being one. Constructs can take it once through Modeled. Bestials can take it and keep taking it if they have the Nature aptitude and take Bestial Shift with the Wolfwere option. Alternatively, you could be an unnatural with the Nature aptitude who takes Bestial Shift for a similar effect.

I can't think of a way to get a humanoid with Blink though.

Edit: No wait, I figured it out.

A humanoid can't take Blink, but an unnatural companion could. The companion could grab the humanoid and teleport places. I think the Rider feat technically allows this without grabbing, but you could also probably work it out with the Guardian profession's Escortee. A construct companion that takes Modeled (Blink) could work too, but it wouldn't be as good as the other options.
02-16-2015, 09:03 PM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2015 09:53 AM by Timetech.)
Character Name: Nasiv Sig-sag
Identity: (Unnatural [Calls itself a Cogitatio], Scholar (Of what it claims is everything), Arcane ["I believe in little, yet I know much."])
Speeds: Run 0, Swim 1, Climb 0 (Needs 2 hands), Jump 0, Fly 1 (Must Grab Self with Telekinesis), Tele 1
Feats:
  • Blink ["Proper application of general and special relativity make motion merely an option in this realm."]
  • Telepathy (Mouthless) ["Thought moves freely within, so why not without?"]
  • Too Many Eyes ["Although I have no eyes, reality makes its mark in ever more elderitch ways."]
  • Expansive Knowledge ["I am here to learn."]
  • Expose Weakness ["Your form is apparent and so is all that goes with it."]
  • Magic Blast (Energy) ["I must value my existence in this realm beyond your knowledge, so that I may gather more knowledge in this realm's future."]
  • Malformed (Unchanging) ["I do not change in this time, for Those Who Gather will change in my stead."]
  • Telekinesis (Armless) ["I know where you are and I know where you ought to be."]
  • Improved Telekinesis (Legless) ["If the illusion of motion creates the knowledge of motion, then the knowledge of motion creates the illusion of motion."] *E.G. My telepathy IS my Telekinesis.*
  • Steady Pace (Flying) (Zero Running) ["If I move by knowing where I am, how can I not go where I intend?"]
  • Immovable ["I choose my location through my knowledge while you merely choose it through your will."]
Equipment:
Tier 3 Defensive Armor: 1A-2C-3E-2F-1P.
2 Healing Potions: Recover 1d6 HP.
  • Affliction: 1 Defense, 12 to hit, 0 Resistance
  • Cold: 2 Defense, 7 to hit, 0 Resistance
  • Energy: 3 Defense, 10 to hit, 0 Resistance
  • Fire: 2 Defense, 7 to hit, 0 Resistance
  • Physical: 1 Defense, 8 to hit, 0 Resistance
Description: Nasiv Sig-sag is an Unnatural multi-polyhedron, that is, it appears to be a different shiny black polyhedron to each and every natural and Unnatural viewer so far. It is here because Those Who Gather from its home realm have commanded it to explore this realm and learn all it can before dying and sending its knowledge to them for an unexplained purpose.
*PDF Says 1/5th for Crippled, O.P. says 1/4th.*
*Suggestion: Besides Legless Telekinesis, how about Armless Telekinesis?*
*I hope I did this right, please let me know if I need to change something.*
*Isn't it possible to have a Scholar that also has a rouge, guardian, and entertainer feat?*
02-17-2015, 12:28 AM
Might I suggest a construct feat, Man In Machine, which gives a construct a second type a la dual degree?

02-17-2015, 12:56 AM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2015 01:08 AM by Timetech.)
(02-17-2015 12:28 AM)hector212121 Wrote:  Might I suggest a construct feat, Man In Machine, which gives a construct a second type a la dual degree?

What about Ghost In The Machine: Gain +1 Unnatural Feat Except Malformed. Option: Take Malformed instead, gain the diplomatic debuffs of being an Unnatural, this does not make you an Unnatural, you can more easily attempt to prove that you are an Unnatural.
02-17-2015, 01:42 AM
Application looks pretty good Timetech, except the movement speed seems off. You don't have to make any speeds 0 for Stead Pace unless you took the Steady Paces option. Legless still makes you have 0 Run and Jump speed though. Climbing is not technically 0, it's just that you either need 1 hand and legs or 2 hands to do it. So you'd have to use both of your telekinetic hands to climb, and at that point you might as well just fly.

So your movement speeds should be something like: Run 0, Swim 1, Climb 1 (Needs 2 hands), Jump 0, Fly 1 (Must Grab Self with Telekinesis), Tele 1

---

I completely forgot to add in Attuned weapons in the Equipment section. They're there now. Attuned weapons make certain damage types more accurate. They're basically wizard staffs.

I fixed the crippled thing. Characters are crippled at 1/5th HP.

---

I don't really think constructs need more feats that let them take stuff from other identities. They already have Modeled.

That being said, I may include some way to have cyborg-like enhancements in the future. Not in this game though.
02-17-2015, 02:07 AM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2015 02:07 AM by hector212121.)
Oh, two weapon ideas: Shortranged, which adds 2d6 and lowers range a increment, and Burst, which on prime tier is 50% extra per bullet in burst, up to 4-shot bursts, and bomus is 2-shot burst only.

Shortrange represents things like shotguns and shit.

Also why is all the stuff with penalties... WORSE than unpenaltied stuff?

Srsly make heavy and noisy at least give better bonuses than defensive and damage.

02-17-2015, 03:20 AM
Heavy and Noisy are really only supposed to be taken on bonus tiers, though I'm realizing that's some faulty logic. I made them a while ago when I was still figuring out how the crafting system works.

That is not to say that they are without their own benefits though. I'm pretty sure that heavy's damage still applies for Heavy Hitter while Damage and Cleaving are ignored. Coating a Heavy item with a Sticky potion can let you stick it on someone and weigh them down.

I will probably reexamine the Heavy and Noisy properties for armor. I don't think I'll be changing the Heavy weapon property though.

Short Ranged and Burst might work for weapon properties in future games, but not this one. The main problem is figuring out how to make it so you don't have to take Ranged or Tactical Reload to make them work.
02-17-2015, 03:57 AM
Add in that a burst weapon always loads enough for it's max burst? Idk about shortranged, maybe make it so it adds 2d6 on attacks made in the same zone then? I mean westerns DID have shotguns...

02-17-2015, 05:48 AM
I remember the beta of this...

I'll have something up soon willy.

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
02-17-2015, 06:10 AM
(02-17-2015 03:57 AM)hector212121 Wrote:  Add in that a burst weapon always loads enough for it's max burst? Idk about shortranged, maybe make it so it adds 2d6 on attacks made in the same zone then? I mean westerns DID have shotguns...

I've been thinking about this, and a "shortranged" would just be taking the Damage property instead of the Ranged property on a Projectile Weapon. It would essentially be a melee weapon that uses ammunition.

There are Burst potions that can be applied to ammunition, but using that in melee range would hit the attacker.

(02-17-2015 05:48 AM)MQuinny1234 Wrote:  I remember the beta of this...

I'll have something up soon willy.

Yay! Though it's probably more like that was the Alpha and this is the Beta.

In the not-at-all-official and barely important for the purposes of this game deity lore I've considered for parts of Feats of Strength, I based the head god, Cirnos, loosely on the god your character worshipped in the last game, Grommian I think. Instead of the land and death, Cirnos is the god of cycles. So time, life to death, when to plant crops and rotating them, etc.

I was considering having some of the characters be religious and following Cirnos, but didn't really plan anything special for it. Some people might recognize "Grommian" as an old name for Cirnos.

If this hijacking of your character bothers you, you should tell me and I'll try to differentiate the two more.

---

I added illuminating torches to the items so people can have light. There are two optional dark areas planned in the adventure where these would be useful.

I changed the Heavy and Noisy properties to make them not crap on prime tiers. There are are now Heavy and Noisy armors in the equipment section.
02-17-2015, 06:14 AM
Not at all, go nuts.

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
02-17-2015, 06:15 AM
If you thought I wasn't making the dumbest thing you've ever seen, boy are you in for a surprise.

Character Name: Saloon
Identity: Construct, Entertainer, Nature
HP: 50 HP
Speeds: Run 1, Swim 1, Climb 1, Jump 1, Fly 0, Tele 0
Feats:
  • Race - Unchanging, Unyielding, Modeled (Heightened Senses)
  • Profession - Socialite, Put on a Show
  • Aptitude - Bestial Companion (Sentient)
  • Other - Distracting Performance, Built-In (Tool), Upgraded (Tool), Overgrowth, Instant Forest
Equipment: Steam Powered Trumpet (Tool, +2 social to deceive), Tier 2 Fancy Clothes
(Remaining Kelter: 10)
Description: Saloon is, along with his friend Cami, a criminal. Thieves, to be precise. They originated in one of the big cities, highlighting in clubs and bars where Saloon would play on his trumpet and put on dazzling performances. And that's where Cami would come in. She would traverse the noisy environment, flesh with the floor and out of sight, snagging wallets, jewelry, and the like from patrons too enamored with the show to notice their possessions being dragged away. Of course, like most criminals, they were eventually found out. And so they secretly caught a train to the Territories, where information supposedly spread slower and there would be plenty of suckers to rob blind.

Companion:
Character Name: Cami
Identity: Bestial, Rogue
HP: 20 HP
Feats:
  • Race - None
  • Profession - Sleight of Hand, Sneak of Shadows
Equipment: N/A
Description: A female caiman that somehow found her way onto a team with Saloon. How? She doesn't want to share, and Saloon's too considerate to give out her details. Guess it'll remain a mystery, huh?

( I think I did the companion thing right? I just used the character sheet and made the couple of changes that the PDF detailed. If I did anything wrong, I'd be more than glad to fix it )
02-17-2015, 06:15 AM
Waitwaitwait whut?

I thought projectile weapons automatically hit at a range?

02-17-2015, 07:12 AM
Kiven:
I like your characters, but there are a few minor issues. Mainly that Cami is not supposed to be a Rogue. In the rules as written, that's not supposed to happen until she levels up.

BUT

I've decided that's dumb since you took the Sentient option. I will probably be rewriting the feat. I also really want to see this combination work. You're fine.

---

Nope, Projectile Weapons are just the only weapons that can take the Ranged property. The other main special thing about them is that they use ammunition, which can be coated to deliver potions and breaks instead of the weapon if you miss too badly.
02-17-2015, 07:19 AM
(02-17-2015 07:12 AM)WillyDeWulfe Wrote:  Kiven:
I like your characters, but there are a few minor issues. Mainly that Cami is not supposed to be a Rogue. In the rules as written, that's not supposed to happen until she levels up.

BUT

I've decided that's dumb since you took the Sentient option. I will probably be rewriting the feat. I also really want to see this combination work. You're fine.

Oh wow, okay. That's totally my fault. In the Sentient option for Bestial Companion, it says that the companion can GAIN a profession and I interpreted that as the companion already having the profession. Thanks for letting it work though!
02-17-2015, 07:23 AM
Why is it that only Bestials and Constructs can get extra limbs...?

I think there should be things that can only be taken at the start of the game, btw. Like that limb bit.

02-17-2015, 07:27 AM
Could it be possible to coat a blade such that it can also deliver potion influence, so long as you get +5 over attack score?
02-17-2015, 08:01 AM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2015 08:01 AM by hector212121.)
If a potion is wound-delivered, you just need to hit with it in order to inflict the potion...once.

edit:fairly sure that's what it was at least

02-17-2015, 08:17 AM
Bestials get extra limbs because lots of animals have multiple limbs. Constructs and Unnaturals can get access to this feat through Modeled or Malformed respectively. Unnatural Telekinesis is essentially an extra hand as well. Upgraded isn't actually an additional hand, but it does free up one.

Humanoids find it the most difficult to get access to additional hands, partially because by the definition of humanoid I'm using they only have 2 hands. It is still possible through the Nature aptitude's Bestial Shift though.

If you want to have multiple limbs that aren't actually hands, you can flavor your legs however you want. Monopod? Quadraped? Uncountable writhing tentacles? Whatever you want.

---

I'm not actually sure what you're asking timetech. Any weapon can be coated with a potion and delivers that potions effects when it hits. The potion coating is only one use though. If it misses, the potion is still used up. Not all potion effects work when coating a weapon, but stuff like extra damage or poison works. You could even coat a weapon in healing potion and make a healing shiv.
02-17-2015, 09:05 AM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2015 10:39 AM by MQuinny1234.)
All I really want is armour, but I'm not sure what I can buy. Like, stealthy armour would be nice, so how much can I spend on that?

-------------

Character Name: Drax
Identity: Baby Dragon (beast), Silent Hunter-Rogue, Martial
HP: 50
Speeds: Run 1, Swim 1, Climb 1, Jump 1, Fly 1, Tele 0 (You probably don't need to change these)
Feats:
Natural Weaponry
Natural Weaponry
Wings
Nocturnal
Heightened Senses
Questionable Experience > Survivor
Sneak of Shadows
Deceptive
Reflexes
Weapon Training (Claws and shit)
Large

Equipment: Tier 1 Defensive Tier 1 Resistance Tier 1 Sneaky Armour. 3 defensive points, 2 resistance points, +2 to stealth.
Tier 1 Attuned Rod: +1 to physical hits

Affliction: 0 Defense, 12 to hit, 0 Resistance
Cold: 0 Defense, 7 to hit, 0 Resistance
Energy: 0 Defense, 10 to hit, 0 Resistance
Fire: 0 Defense, 7 to hit, 0 Resistance
Physical:3 Defense, 8 to hit, 2 Resistance

Description: Draz awoke out in the burning desert, protected from the enviroments and predators due only to his location, deep in a crevice high in a cliff and the reputation of dragons. His parents were gone, his clutchmates stillborn in their eggs. Once he'd devoured their remains and night had fallen, he stumbled out, pushing through the light foliage that had been placed over. It took a while to get down, hopping and gliding and falling and wailing angrily. He feasted on whatever he could run down mostly for the first few months before coming across a human Town. Caution warned him from just marching into this place. Too many strange things that smelled funny. He picked off a few sof them over a week, when they were on their own during the night, around the outskirts of the area. He toyed with them for a bit, trying to figure out clothes, and what the different sounds they made were. Then they came on horses with guns and other weapons, somehow having tracked him down. He left after that, still curious about them. Much more complicated than the other stupid beasts he'd met. He understood the idea of language somehow, and he suspected he knew a few words.

At the next town, he was much more cautious, watching them from afar during the day and sitting quietly on rooftops at night, listening to their noises. They all acted strangely, even randomly killing each other from time to time, the most surprising moment was when he saw the whole town gather around to watch a man get hung. Later, he grabbed another human, one of the small ones who'd been wandering on it's own from the rest of it's family when farming. It stayed with him for a while, Drax had picked up enough words to get it's attention and he managed to make it clear he wanted to hear more words from the child. A teacher really helped him pick up the language, but when he found he couldn't get the stupid thing to eat and it started just moaning and crying all the time instead of teaching him more words, he brought it back to it's family and left. He didn't want to be around in case another mob came. He rinsed and repeated as he wandered over the next few months until he came to Shimmer city, which was a shock over the drab hick towns Drax had seen before. Eventually, after a few bum starts, he managed to get on a "stop-attacking-me" footing with a trade group that was coming out of town and start up some communication. He accompanied them on their journey, trading protection and animals he hunted down for language lessons and information on their society. Things eventually turned sour when they tried to catch him, but he didn't mind too much about that. He'd gotten an idea about things now. Enough to contact other caravans and begin similar relationships.

02-17-2015, 09:47 AM
Looks good Quinny, but I would like to point out that Large actually makes it harder to sneak.

If you want pure stealthy armor, you can have Tier 3 Stealthy Armor that gives +6 on finesse checks to sneak for 40 Kelter. That offers no protection though.

If you want to trade some stealth for some light protection, you could have some armor that gives +4 on finesse checks to sneak and has 3 points to spread into defenses for 40 Kelter. You could also do +2 sneak and 6 points for defenses for 40 Kelter.

With the remaining 10 Kelter you could get 2 cheap healing potions. You could instead get a cheap tool that gives you +1 on finesse checks to sneak while you hold it.
02-17-2015, 09:57 AM
(02-17-2015 08:17 AM)WillyDeWulfe Wrote:  I'm not actually sure what you're asking timetech. Any weapon can be coated with a potion and delivers that potions effects when it hits. The potion coating is only one use though. If it misses, the potion is still used up. Not all potion effects work when coating a weapon, but stuff like extra damage or poison works. You could even coat a weapon in healing potion and make a healing shiv.

Thank you, that was exactly what I was looking for, somehow, I was lost.

I still wish Improved Telekinesis (Armless) and Improved Telekinesis (Limbless) were things, so I could sacrifice two real hands for a further Telekinetic Hand. Why do I want this? I want Nasiv Sig-sag to be completely limbless, relying on knowledge alone to perform actions. That way, he is completely alien to this world in every way I could make him, except for stability of sentient thought, a mere wanderer of the world, thirsting for all the knowledge it can hold . . ..
02-17-2015, 09:58 AM
I would like to take a moment to point out that my Rogue skills are useful for crafty stuff which is why I took them.
I'm like MacGyver. I can have the absolute worst conditions imaginable and I still lose nothing on my rolls to craft things.

Also, I would assume that things like blood would make for alchemical reagents right?

02-17-2015, 10:19 AM
Large only gives a -1 to sneak I think. I'm not too worried about it, and thematically it's cool to play a sneaky dragon. I'll take that +2 to sneak and 6 protection though.

02-17-2015, 10:24 AM
Telekinesis (Armless) gets rid of both arms. I've been considering readjusting this, but as of right now he is completely limbless.

---

Hector, Sneak of Shadows only helps you sneak better. Steady Hands applies to all finesse checks though and Calm Specter can technically help you craft stuff in battle if you have some reason to. I felt like I needed to point that out because it sounded like you thought Sneak of Shadows helped you craft things even though it doesn't.

Blood from a defeated enemy would count as an alchemy ingredient, probably with the physical damage type unless the creature is something special. You didnt take the Alchemist feat last I checked, so you'll have to take that if you want to start throwing exploding vials of exploding blood at people.
02-17-2015, 10:28 AM
Can you take questionable expertise more than once? With entirely different professions?

02-17-2015, 10:32 AM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2015 10:40 AM by WillyDeWulfe.)
Nope. You can only take feats that have Multiple Times: on their in-depth information multiple times.
02-17-2015, 10:38 AM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2015 10:38 AM by MQuinny1234.)
Hmm, would rather have a +2 to toughness than finesse I guess. Is that armour okay?

Also, does flight allow me to hover?

02-17-2015, 10:44 AM
That equipment looks close enough to ok. I'm going to reformat everyone's character sheets in a post later so I can have them organized the way I like. I can tell what you want from that.
02-17-2015, 02:07 PM
(02-17-2015 10:24 AM)WillyDeWulfe Wrote:  Telekinesis (Armless) gets rid of both arms. I've been considering readjusting this, but as of right now he is completely limbless.

Ah, I didn't even see that, due to it being on the next page for me. Thank you very much. I will go rewrite that part of my form right now! :D
02-17-2015, 03:34 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2015 04:11 PM by Palamedes.)
Character Name: Resplendour the Magnanimous
Identity: Construct, Entertainer, Martial
Speeds: Run 2, Swim 1, Climb 1, Jump 1, Fly 0, Tele 0
Feats:
Construct:
Unchanging
Unyielding
Built In (steel spike)
Upgraded

Entertainer:
Put on a show
Multi-talented (on the run [run])

Martial:
CHARGE
Sweeping strike
Weapon training (steel spike)

General:
Rider (Giant Birds)
Giddy Up

Giant Bird feats:
Wings

Steady Pace

Equipment:
Tier 2 Noisy/Heavy Armour
Tier 2 melee weapon (steel spike)
10 Kelter remaining
Affliction: 0 Defense, 12 to hit, 0 Resistance
Cold: 0 Defense, 7 to hit, 0 Resistance
Energy: 2 Defense, 10 to hit, 0 Resistance
Fire: 2 Defense, 7 to hit, 0 Resistance
Physical: 4 Defense, 8 to hit, 0 Resistance

Description: Sentient motorcycle locomotion, was sent to this wild wild west to show off his superior functioning in an effort to convince all of the territories to switch to locomotion for the transport of goods, people, or whatever else it is these savages need moved back and forth. It didn't work out, since personal locomotion was too damn expensive. Always wanted to fly, and so upon being abandoned by his creators went out into the wilderness and tamed (a couple?) giant birds.

Pretty sure I've gotten some of this wrong in my rush to finish so please let me know if there are any issues!
02-17-2015, 03:54 PM
Ah good, I've been looking forward to Resplendour.

You can indeed have Tier 1 or 2 Heavy or Noisy armor. I just didn't want to write up every permutation of it. It's 4 points of defense per tier of you use those.

With the steel spike (which I'm going to call a spear for weapon type purposes), you have 10 Kelter left over; just enough for Tier 1 armor.

With the Rider feat, you get a free companion. I'm probably going to rewrite the feat so that the companion it grants is nonsentient, but if you really want a sentient bird I will allow it.

Your companion gets two feats. I would suggest either Wings and Steady Pace (Flying) or Wings and Large. Steady Pace is probably your best bet since it means the bird can never be slowed down when flying. Large has some thematic significance, but the bird won't be able to fly if you wear heavy armor while riding it. It could still run though.

You also need to choose which movement type On The Run boosts. I'm assuming Running.
02-17-2015, 04:13 PM
There, think I fixed everything.

I think Resplendour's magnificent steed is very very smart but probably not sapient (so like a parrot but huge and probably not as colourful).
02-18-2015, 01:30 AM
No, no, I was referring to Calm Specter.

Calm Specter ALWAYS helps me with finesse checks that I would otherwise have a penalty on. Hence me being Macgyver--I always work at at least +0.

That's why I took it.

Also, why couldn't blood be healing? Blood often is used to represent someone's life...

Would it be possible to craft multiple corpses as materials with Constructor? As in, use more than one as a material for a single construct?

02-18-2015, 03:09 AM
Blood could make any potion, same as any other potion material.

The way the crafting system works, you can annoy use a single life of material. If you want to use multiple bodies and flavor it as Frankenstein, sure, but it will just use the quality of the highest quality body.
02-18-2015, 09:49 AM
Why not make it work with value?

Like, for instance, 2 quality 3 bodies=1 quality 4 body.3=5, 4=6, 6=7, etc. Because the value is the quality squared times ten, right?

02-18-2015, 10:20 AM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2015 10:22 AM by WillyDeWulfe.)
Quality squared times 10? I'm actually terrible at math, so I'm not sure how you got that formula. I treated the physical materials as if they were item tiers (where quality 0 is tier 1), and cut the prices in half. For the elemental materials, I added 15 and another 5 for each increase in quality.

That's besides the point though.

I suppose that if a body has been damaged and you can take spare parts from other bodies of the same race, you can repair a body to the point that it becomes a +3 crafting material for making constructs. This requires the Constructor feat.

However, no crafting material will ever be above +3. Ever. The more pluses, the more bonus tiers it can have, which means you could create something completely broken.
02-18-2015, 11:04 AM
Augh, I guess I got confused somewhere?
*shrug*
I thought items went along that scale. I guess I misremembered.

Quality squared times 10 would be 1=10, 2=40, 3=90, etc.

02-18-2015, 05:37 PM
Willy, I had an idea, how about we each make at least one bonus example character in this thread so that anyone that wants to join, but can't due to not wanting to go through the pdf to make or copy a character, can instead use one of the ones made on this thread?
02-19-2015, 12:48 AM
Well I'm not going to require it, but if you want to make multiple characters that's fine. Indicate the one you want to use in some way or I will assume you want the first one.
02-19-2015, 07:01 AM
Example Character Sheet
Character Name:Make your own Name. Suggested name is Zachary Zuckel
Identity: Humanoid (Half Bestial from Feats), Scholar (Entertainer from Feats, Rogue from Feats), Nature
HP: 60
Speeds: Run 2, Swim 1, Climb 1, Jump 1, Fly 0, Tele 0
Feats:
3 must be from you race.
  • Versatility (Toughness, Social)
  • Dabbler (Socialite)
  • Dual Degree (Pantomime)
2 must be from your profession.
  • Studied Technique (On The Run)
  • Mastered Technique (Questionable Experience (Survivor))
1 must be from your aptitude.
  • Bestial Shift (Owl Head) (Cost(Willpower, Never Say Die) Gain(Heightened Senses, Nocturnal))
The other 5 may be any other feats you qualify for.
  • Tough
  • Willpower
  • Never Say Die
  • Multi-Talented (Steady Hands)
  • Expansive Knowledge
Equipment:
Tier 2 Defensive Armor 1A-1C-1E-1F-2P
Tier 2 Melee Weapon: 2d6 Physical Damage
2 Healing Potions: Recover 1d6 HP
  • Affliction: 1 Defense, 12 to hit, 0 Resistance
  • Cold: 1 Defense, 7 to hit, 0 Resistance
  • Energy: 1 Defense, 10 to hit, 0 Resistance
  • Fire: 1 Defense, 7 to hit, 0 Resistance
  • Physical: 2 Defense, 8 to hit, 0 Resistance
Description: Make your own Bio. Default is just your average joe. Please don't use default.
02-20-2015, 04:41 AM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2015 06:58 AM by WillyDeWulfe.)
[Image: FoSLogo.gif]

The game has not started yet.
Not "officially" anyway. I had this prepared and I didn't feel like waiting until Sunday. I have started this early "training" part to get players used to interacting with NPCs, using skill checks, terrain and zones, and having your characters meet. It will also give you an idea of who the characters in this story are.

Action will happen Sunday.

While I do have stuff prepared, I don't want to start it until Sunday. Do not leave the saloon.

Players can still join.

If enough players with applications I like more join, you may be cut. (That would mean two more players would have to join and both be better than the weakest application here. Not likely)

MAP
[Image: FoS_Map_GBU.jpg]
Zones
  • A: There is a scorpion playing the piano here. Terrain: The piano provides Cover (+1 on defenses against ranged attacks, When prone: +4 to defenses against ranged attacks and +1 to finesse checks to sneak, allows character to sneak against targets in other zones).
  • B: There are 2 Unnatural Railroad Workers here. Quentin, Nasiv, Saloon, Cami, Drax, and Resplendour are here. Terrain: The tables provide Cover (+1 on defenses against ranged attacks, When prone: +4 to defenses against ranged attacks and +1 to finesse checks to sneak, allows character to sneak against targets in other zones), there are 9 people in the zone (Drax counts as 2) making it crowded (Moving into this zone takes 2 units of movement).
  • C: There are 2 Unnatural Railroad Workers here. Terrain: The tables provide Cover (+1 on defenses against ranged attacks, When prone: +4 to defenses against ranged attacks and +1 to finesse checks to sneak, allows character to sneak against targets in other zones).
  • D: There are 2 Unnatural Railroad Workers here. Terrain: The tables provide Cover (+1 on defenses against ranged attacks, When prone: +4 to defenses against ranged attacks and +1 to finesse checks to sneak, allows character to sneak against targets in other zones).
  • E: Terrain: The bar is a Partial Wall (Blocks line of sight and line of effect to and from prone characters as if a wall. Can be climbed on top of without a toughness check).
  • F: The human bartender is here.

Red Ridge, a typical town in The Territories. The place is only about a mile long from end to end, but settlers still manage to cram their way into the few rooms available for rent. Even after the gold veins dried up, Red Ridge managed to hang on to life by being a pit stop on the way to Shimmer City, though it seems almost impossible that it gets enough traffic to sustain itself on travelers alone.

For one reason or another, you find yourself in Red Ridge’s only saloon, a smokey little dive called The Twisted Stirrup. The unnies are playing some bizarre game with triangular tiles at the tables, apparently trying to swindle each other out of their hard earned kelter. The bartender watches this, a glint of disgust in his eye, but just goes on polishing his glasses with a dirty rag. Over in the corner, a pony-sized scorpion in a hat and vest is playing a jaunty tune on the piano.

((Resplendour's bird is hitched up outside))

Knowledge of Red Ridge
Sometimes when going to a new area, I will go ahead and make knowledge checks for each of you. This is one of those times. I don't feel like PM'ing this stuff, so here's what each of you know. It's not a big deal if you peak at other players' info, but don't reference it in game.

Quentin (10)
0: Red Ridge was a mining town set up during the gold rush a decade ago, but the mines have since been completely plundered. The only reason Red Ridge is still around is to serve the travelers who stop here on their way to Shimmer City.

8: Railroads are being built through the Territories, and Red Ridge has been chosen as one of the stops. Because of this, plenty of unnatural railroad workers make their home in the dusty little settlement.

10: Many people assume that Red Ridge was named after the nearby brilliant red mountains where the gold mines are located, but the “Red” part of the name actually refers to blood. During the gold rush, most of the citizens in Red Ridge were large angry men. Mixing that together with cramped living spaces, a blazing sun, and guns is a recipe for a bloodbath. Things settled down considerably after the gold rush ended and many of the miners left.

Nasiv (14+2=16)
0: Red Ridge was a mining town set up during the gold rush a decade ago, but the mines have since been completely plundered. The only reason Red Ridge is still around is to serve the travelers who stop here on their way to Shimmer City.

8: Railroads are being built through the Territories, and Red Ridge has been chosen as one of the stops. Because of this, plenty of unnatural railroad workers make their home in the dusty little settlement.

10: Many people assume that Red Ridge was named after the nearby brilliant red mountains where the gold mines are located, but the “Red” part of the name actually refers to blood. During the gold rush, most of the citizens in Red Ridge were large angry men. Mixing that together with cramped living spaces, a blazing sun, and guns is a recipe for a bloodbath. Things settled down considerably after the gold rush ended and many of the miners left.

13: The “mayor” of Red Ridge, Chuck Bennet, was never voted in to office and really just appointed himself mayor after the miners left. He owns literally every building in town, so he decided he might as well start running the town officially.

15: Back during the gold rush, several constructs were built to help with the mining. No one has seen them in years.

Saloon and Cami (11 and 6)

Drax (11)

Resplendour (8)

((You can make another knowledge check if you want. Other skill checks might be a good idea too))

---
Characters

Quick Quentin
Character Name: Quick Quentin
Identity: Humanoid, Craftsman (Rogue), Divine
HP: 60
Feats:
  • Dabbler (Sneak of Shadows)
  • Dual Degree (Calm Specter)
  • Deadly Tools
  • Versatility (Finesse, Social)
  • Armorer
  • Weaponsmith
  • Constructor
  • Steady Hands
  • Advanced Crafting
  • Heal
  • Tough
Equipment: Tier 4 Revolver (Ranged, Tactical Reload, Damage, Durable), Tier 1 Leather Armor (Stealthy), 50 bullets, 24 kelter
Description: Entered virtual reality game, died, thinks this is the game. Hint: It's not. But for some reason his avatar is what formed as his body.
Notes
  • Armed Basic Attack: Range 1, 1d6+2 physical damage
  • Skills: +3 Finesse, +1 Social, +5 Finesse (Sneaking)
  • Rolled 15 to craft Revolver, +4 from feats and Quality 1 material.
  • Rolled 10 to craft Leather Armor, +4 from feats and Quality 1 material.
  • Rolled 9 to craft Construct Companion, +3 from feats. Forced up to 15 because start of game.

Unnamed Construct Companion
Character Name: Unnamed Construct Companion
Identity: Construct
HP: 20
Feats:
  • Modeled (Dabbler(Apothecary))
  • Steady Pace (Running)
Equipment: None
Description: ???
Notes
  • Unarmed Basic Attack: Range melee, 1 physical damage

Nasiv Sig-sag
Character Name: Nasiv Sig-sag
Identity: Unnatural Scholar Arcane
Speeds: Run 0, Swim 1, Climb 1 (Needs 2 hands), Jump 0, Fly 1 (Grab self), Tele 1
Feats:
  • Blink
  • Telepathy (Mouthless)
  • Too Many Eyes
  • Malformed (Unchanging)
  • Telekinesis (Armless)
  • Improved Telekinesis (Legless)
  • Expansive Knowledge
  • Expose Weakness
  • Magic Blast (Energy)
  • Steady Pace (Flying)
  • Immovable
Equipment: Tier 3 Defensive Armor (1A-2C-3E-2F-1P), 2x Tier 1 Healing Potions (Healing)
  • Affliction: 1 Defense, 13 to hit, 0 Resistance
  • Cold: 2 Defense, 9 to hit, 0 Resistance
  • Energy: 3 Defense, 13 to hit, 0 Resistance
  • Fire: 2 Defense, 9 to hit, 0 Resistance
  • Physical: 1 Defense, 9 to hit, 0 Resistance
Description: Nasiv Sig-sag is an Unnatural multi-polyhedron, that is, it appears to be a different shiny black polyhedron to each and every natural and Unnatural viewer so far. It is here because Those Who Gather from its home realm have commanded it to explore this realm and learn all it can before dying and sending its knowledge to them for an unexplained purpose.
Notes
  • Unarmed Basic Attack: Range 1, 1d6+2 physical damage, carried affliction roll to cause weakness (Cooldown 1)
  • Magic Blast: Range 1, 1d6 energy damage
  • Skills: +2 Knowledge, +2 Toughness (Oppose dragging), +2 Toughness (Oppose pushing)

Saloon
Character Name: Saloon
Identity: Construct, Entertainer, Nature
Feats:
  • Unchanging
  • Unyielding
  • Modeled (Heightened Senses)
  • Built-In (Steam Powered Trumpet)
  • Upgraded
  • Socialite
  • Put on a Show
  • Distracting Performance
  • Bestial Companion (Sentient)
  • Overgrowth
  • Instant Forest
Equipment: Steam Powered Trumpet (+2 social checks to deceive, Built-In), Tier 2 Fancy Clothes (2xFashionable), 10 kelter
Description: Saloon is, along with his friend Cami, a criminal. Thieves, to be precise. They originated in one of the big cities, highlighting in clubs and bars where Saloon would play on his trumpet and put on dazzling performances. And that's where Cami would come in. She would traverse the noisy environment, flesh with the floor and out of sight, snagging wallets, jewelry, and the like from patrons too enamored with the show to notice their possessions being dragged away. Of course, like most criminals, they were eventually found out. And so they secretly caught a train to the Territories, where information supposedly spread slower and there would be plenty of suckers to rob blind.
Notes
  • Armed Basic Attack (Trumpet): Range melee, 2 physical damage
  • Skills: +2 Social, +2 Sense, +4 Social (Making friends), +2 Social (Deception)

Cami
Character Name: Cami
Identity: Bestial, Rogue
Feats:
  • Sleight of Hand
  • Sneak of Shadows
Description: A female caiman that somehow found her way onto a team with Saloon. How? She doesn't want to share, and Saloon's too considerate to give out her details. Guess it'll remain a mystery, huh?
Notes
  • Skills: +3 Finesse (Sneaking), +3 Finesse (Picking pockets), +3 Finesse (Picking locks), +3 Finesse (Hiding items)

Drax
Character Name: Drax
Identity: Bestial Rogue Martial
Speeds: Run 1, Swim 1, Climb 1, Jump 1, Fly 1, Tele 0
Feats:
  • 2xNatural Weaponry
  • Wings
  • Nocturnal
  • Heightened Senses
  • Questionable Experience (Survivor)
  • Sneak of Shadows
  • Deceptive
  • Reflexes
  • Weapon Training (Unarmed)
  • Large
Equipment: Tier 3 Physical Armor (Defensive (0A-0C-0E-0F-3P), Resistant, Stealthy), Tier 1 Physical Rod (Attuned)
  • Affliction: 1 Defense, 13 to hit, 0 Resistance
  • Cold: 1 Defense, 8 to hit, 0 Resistance
  • Energy: 1 Defense, 11 to hit, 0 Resistance
  • Fire: 1 Defense, 8 to hit, 0 Resistance
  • Physical: 4 Defense, 12 to hit, 2 Resistance
Description:
Draz awoke out in the burning desert, protected from the enviroments and predators due only to his location, deep in a crevice high in a cliff and the reputation of dragons. His parents were gone, his clutchmates stillborn in their eggs. Once he'd devoured their remains and night had fallen, he stumbled out, pushing through the light foliage that had been placed over. It took a while to get down, hopping and gliding and falling and wailing angrily. He feasted on whatever he could run down mostly for the first few months before coming across a human Town. Caution warned him from just marching into this place. Too many strange things that smelled funny. He picked off a few sof them over a week, when they were on their own during the night, around the outskirts of the area. He toyed with them for a bit, trying to figure out clothes, and what the different sounds they made were. Then they came on horses with guns and other weapons, somehow having tracked him down. He left after that, still curious about them. Much more complicated than the other stupid beasts he'd met. He understood the idea of language somehow, and he suspected he knew a few words.

At the next town, he was much more cautious, watching them from afar during the day and sitting quietly on rooftops at night, listening to their noises. They all acted strangely, even randomly killing each other from time to time, the most surprising moment was when he saw the whole town gather around to watch a man get hung. Later, he grabbed another human, one of the small ones who'd been wandering on it's own from the rest of it's family when farming. It stayed with him for a while, Drax had picked up enough words to get it's attention and he managed to make it clear he wanted to hear more words from the child. A teacher really helped him pick up the language, but when he found he couldn't get the stupid thing to eat and it started just moaning and crying all the time instead of teaching him more words, he brought it back to it's family and left. He didn't want to be around in case another mob came. He rinsed and repeated as he wandered over the next few months until he came to Shimmer city, which was a shock over the drab hick towns Drax had seen before. Eventually, after a few bum starts, he managed to get on a "stop-attacking-me" footing with a trade group that was coming out of town and start up some communication. He accompanied them on their journey, trading protection and animals he hunted down for language lessons and information on their society. Things eventually turned sour when they tried to catch him, but he didn't mind too much about that. He'd gotten an idea about things now. Enough to contact other caravans and begin similar relationships.
Notes
  • Unarmed Basic Attack: Range melee, 2d6 physical damage, +2 accuracy
  • Skills: +2 Sense, +2 Toughness, +4 Finesse (Sneaking), +3 Social (Deception)
  • +1 damage against normal creatures
  • +2 damage against small creatures

Resplendour the Magnanimous
Character Name: Resplendour the Magnanimous
Identity: Construct, Entertainer, Martial
Speeds: Run 2, Swim 1, Climb 1, Jump 1*, Fly 0, Tele 0
Feats:
  • Unchanging
  • Unyielding
  • Built-In (Steel Spike)
  • Upgraded
  • Put on a Show
  • Multitalented (One the Run (Running))
  • CHARGE!
  • Sweeping Strike
  • Weapon Training (Spears)
  • Rider (Bestial)
  • Giddy Up
Equipment: Tier 2 Heavy Noisy Armor (0A-0C-2E-2F-4P), Tier 2 Spear Steel Spike (2xDamage), 10 kelter
  • Energy: 2 Defense, 12 to hit, 0 Resistance
  • Fire: 2 Defense, 9 to hit, 0 Resistance
  • Physical: 4 Defense, 12 to hit, 0 Resistance
Description: Sentient motorcycle locomotion, was sent to this wild wild west to show off his superior functioning in an effort to convince all of the territories to switch to locomotion for the transport of goods, people, or whatever else it is these savages need moved back and forth. It didn't work out, since personal locomotion was too damn expensive. Always wanted to fly, and so upon being abandoned by his creators went out into the wilderness and tamed a giant bird.
Notes
  • Armed Basic Attack: Range melee, 2d6 physical damage, +1 accuracy
  • Skills: -5 Finesse (Sneaking)
  • Armor gives 1 stack of encumbrance, making jumping impossible.
  • Armor gives the noisy affliction, so -5 finesse to sneak.

Bird
Character Name: Bird
Identity: Bestial
Speeds: Run 1*, Swim 1*, Climb 1*, Jump 1*, Fly 1, Tele 0
Feats:
  • Wings
  • Steady Pace (Flying)
Description: A bird strong enough to carry Resplendour.
Notes
  • 2 stacks of encumbrance when Resplendour is riding, so it can't run or move any other way except flying.

02-20-2015, 05:12 AM
((Hmmm, how many video-gamey flavor things is it fair to do? IE having him seeing little blurbs over each character's heads and being able to comment about them?))

For now, Quentin ignores everything else around him and examines the 'unnies' to attempt to gain some insight into how the game works.

((Also, it'd be nice to get results on my crafting checks for those two items. Is it assumed that we craft before the game starts? If so, do we get workshop bonuses?))

02-20-2015, 07:16 AM
((I've put everyone's character sheets reformatted nicely into the update. Hector, your gear is there. In the notes, you will see what the rolls were.

While doing this, I noticed you took Constructor. You need to choose 2 feats for the construct companion it gives you. Choose from either Construct or General feats.

I would allow you to see the blurbs over their heads if you had taken Pantomime. You may also see such blurbs when talking to a character that has Pantomime. Since you don't have Pantomime, you will not normally see the blurbs.))

Quentin stares at the game the Unnatural Railroad Workers are playing at the table near him. It seems familiar, like a mini game in one of the other games he played, but he can't quite place it. (Knowledge Check: 8+1(Circumstance Modifier for me taking the game from a classic video game)=9)

Each tile seems to have a value. The unnaturals all start with 4 blue, red, or purple tiles in their hands. Each round they seemed to choose to either play one of these tiles, or a green tile from a separate deck. Quentin has no idea how they decide who wins, but it is obvious that one player wins and the other loses.

((You can try again, but your chances won't be any better. Talking to the players might help.))
02-20-2015, 07:47 AM
((Let's say…Modeled-Dabbler-Apothecary…. And Steady Pace:Running.

Also, dammit, I wanted to make a joke about a saloon inside a saloon...))

"Howdy, there. What'chall playing?"