Let's Play Dwarf Fortress
03-11-2015, 10:25 AM
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress
Welcome to Let's Play: Dwarf Fortress. In this Game-esqe-thing, where anyone may submit commands, and the majority vote wins for conflictions.

For those who are unfamiliar with Dwarf Fortress, it is a civilization game in which you own a group of dwarfs and mandate what needs to be done (sort of like Sims, but without individual character control), hoping that they actually do it instead of falling asleep, going insane, and dying brutally. Losing is fun, so no worries there! Also, I will make saves every Year or so, so that we have somewhere to fall back to.

Before gamestart, I will need 7 Names for our Dwarfs(ves?) and some parameters. Also we can play either whatever version I have right now or Masterwork, which is a mod that adds tons of stuff!

So, I need seven names, and some opinions on start-up options. If you have no preference, you do not need to include it:

History: Small (World has existed for 5 years), Medium (125 years), or Long (250 years).
Savagery: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. (This is for wild animals, so ambushes and sieges will be equally difficult no matter what)
Temperature: On / Off (Having it on will make seasons actually change things, but will also take up FPS)
Game Mode: Masterwork / Vanilla

If you want to name a Dwarf after yourself, just post it and I will make it so. There will also be births and migrants, so there will be plenty more Dwarfs to name.

Also, pick one of the following places for our city to be built at:

Desert
Forest
Plains
Evil Lands (Haunted or Sinister)
Costal
Hallowed Lands
Mountains

Or any sort of combination (with max of 3). If enough people will it, I can make it happen.

Note: Not all of these options may be available.
03-11-2015, 10:56 AM
RE: Let's Play Dwarf Fortress
History: Medium (125 years)
Savagery: 4
Temperature: On Because Realism
Game Mode: Vanilla

Hallowed Lands

Name one of them "Shpoopers"

Edited for Readability and Preservation of Sanity - The Revolution - OP - Chapter 1/2 - Chapter 2/2 (missing maps) - Chapter 2 - Chapter 3 (Ongoing) - Chat
03-11-2015, 11:05 AM
SINISTER.

Also, name someoneā€¦"BATMAN".

(12-16-2014 11:08 AM)KatoHearts Wrote:  I'm pretty good at making terrible people.
03-11-2015, 11:13 AM
History: Long (250 years)
Savagery: 3
Temperature: Depends on how good your computer is.
Terrain: Haunted, Sinister or Hallowed Lands.
Name one of the Dwarves Nubbdruples.
03-11-2015, 11:38 AM
History: Long
Temperature: On unless it's bad for your PC
Game Mode: Masterwork
Terrain: Hallowed Lands, Mountain, Forest
Name: Palamedes
03-11-2015, 12:22 PM
History: Medium
Temperature: On
Game Mode:Vanilla
Build on coustal
Name one Vlad
03-11-2015, 03:20 PM
Name: Vancho
Savagery: 2
Temperature: On, unless performance is really that bad
Game Mode: Masterwork
Terrain: Coastal, Forest

The one, the only, Vancho!
03-11-2015, 07:37 PM
Long, 4, on, vanilla, coastal/haunted

Working Name: Anarkismo
03-11-2015, 10:28 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2015 07:22 AM by Reyweld.)
These are going to be the settings. I will start this tomorrow/tonight.

Temperature: On
Land: Coastal/Hallowed

Names:
Shpoopers , "BATMAN" , Nubbdruples , Palamedes, Vlad, Vancho, Pagan.
03-12-2015, 01:51 AM
...The quotes are unneccessary on batman...

(12-16-2014 11:08 AM)KatoHearts Wrote:  I'm pretty good at making terrible people.
03-12-2015, 02:46 AM
The quotes were never more necessary on BATMAN.
03-12-2015, 08:15 AM
Name a dwarf after me when you get the chance
03-12-2015, 01:32 PM
Oh oh I'd like to be dwarfed too please! No particular preference!
03-12-2015, 02:11 PM
Ooh, me too. I want to be that dwarf.

(03-12-2015 02:46 AM)Palamedes Wrote:  The quotes were never more necessary on BATMAN.

BATMAN always needs quotes. Always.
03-12-2015, 02:28 PM
Exactly, I'm glad we can agree on this, Dwarf-who-does-not-yet-exist.
03-12-2015, 02:36 PM
Dwarf Fortress is so complex on the sirface. Like i dont think ive ever seen a game that confuses me more.
03-12-2015, 09:57 PM
Tile packs really help beginners. That being said, I still use tile packs because squares look nicer then rectangles. Also, names have been added to the queue. I meant to start it last night, but then I had an unplanned 6 hour nap and had to rush to do stuff. But it will be made today!

(amos, do you want to be added to the name queue? should I just assume everyone that posts here wants to?)
03-13-2015, 12:38 AM
(I think you should, more names that way.)
03-13-2015, 02:19 AM
Yes please use my name!
03-13-2015, 10:14 AM
And the game begins!

Events in the first few days:
  • Vancho is appointed as Expedition Leader.
  • The wild animals gleam with a certain wonder. The ocean lies to the North East, but the tide remains out for days at a time.
  • Forester Shpoopers notices that there are barely any trees anywhere. Vlad and Pagan (both gatherers) also have noticed the lack of edible plants among the local fauna. Good thing we brought lots of beer and dogs (if it comes to that).
  • Mining has come to a halt. Dangerous Aquifers lie underneath every dig spot where mining has been attempted. Options for proceeding (as suggested by the miners and the Expedition Leader): Mine up/down stairs everywhere to find if there is anywhere that doesn't lead to an aquifer, continue to make random tunnels with up/down stairs at the end of them, give up on mining down and mine out all of the sand one layer below the surface. Additional options include digging into the aquifers, ???.
  • Palamedes has taken to training all of the dogs into War Dogs. Better safe then sorry.

Any suggestions/input for your civilization?
To suggest, you can either mandate tasks you want completed, give input on current events, request specific dwarves to do tasks, mandate ___ be built, ect.

NOTE: Dwarf Fortress has medieval technology.
03-13-2015, 11:15 AM
Journal the first:

This new expedition is more horrible than the last. Despite my experience Vancho has been appointed leader, this outrage will not be forgotten. Predictably, inexperienced leader Vancho has built our home over an ocean. We should try and move it somewhere where we don't constantly risk drowning ourselves.

In memory of my fallen comrades I shall train the dogs in the ways of war, as they wanted.

I will attempt to coerce a craftsdwarf to make me a crossbow.
03-13-2015, 03:41 PM
Can you build underwater? Because underwater bases are always awesome.
03-13-2015, 10:22 PM
Update:
  • Palamedes convinced Vlad to make a crossbow for him. Unfortunately, we don't have the material to make bolts yet.
  • Pumping out the water to make an underwater base has proven unsuccessful. There seems to be infinite water.
  • Vlad has also made 2 Netboxes, so that the hens will lay eggs to eat.
  • There is barely any work for anyone. The dwarves request permission to hunt (with their bare hands) in the wild.
  • All animals have recieved war training.
03-13-2015, 11:04 PM
(03-13-2015 10:22 PM)Reyweld Wrote:  [*]The dwarves request permission to hunt (with their bare hands) in the wild.
That sounds totally metal, let's do this! Especially if the war dogs go with them.
03-13-2015, 11:41 PM
Glad is now the go to for crafting stuff. Also get someone to start gathering resourses like mining. We need thoses bolts yo.
03-14-2015, 04:37 AM
Journal the second:

Vlad has excellently made me a crossbow, but informs me that he could not produce resources for bolts. This is unacceptable, he should use the bones of weaker dwarves.

Weaker dwarves have been lazing about, not doing any work. Meanwhile I have trained my dogs in the ways of war. Vlad has continued to be a hard worker and true dwarf. A shame he is the only one.

Weaker dwarves are trying to recruit my dogs for hunting. They are not for hunting, but for war. I will lead them in glorious crusade against the nearby beasts.

I have suggested to leader Vancho again that he move our base further inland to avoid all of this disgusting water. Or, at the very least, we should try and dig away from it.
03-14-2015, 04:37 AM
From the journal of Vancho, expedition leader:

"Week One -

We have arrived after a long trek in these coastal lands, and we've already begun establishing a settlement. The lack of trees is worrying, as we will not have a very steady source of wood. I hope we can find some solution to this before it becomes a problem. Our mining efforts have also been thwarted by the prevalence of aquifers in the area. The damned water threatens to undo all the work we've done! I will suggest that we move a little farther inland, or if that's not possible, dig until we find somewhere without an aquifer.

Palamedes has been training our dogs, to some success. That, at least, is a relief - with no wood, we're finding it hard to make much of anything, including weapons. Hopefully, our luck will turn. The expedition has been agitating to be allowed to hunt animals, so I reluctantly agreed, as long as they take along some dogs. I didn't like the look of the local fauna, and I would have liked for them to be doing more useful things, but it's better than sitting around and consuming our supplies without doing anything.

These lands have a strange feeling about them. I can only hope that our luck turns.

--Vancho, leader of the expedition."

Hey, Reyweld, if you don't mind, can you take some screenshots of interesting events? I'd like to see how our fortress is developing (having a visual helps).

The one, the only, Vancho!
03-14-2015, 08:22 AM
Month One Update:
  • Palamedes and Vlad have become quick friends. The two of them, along with Nubbdruples and Shpoopers, make up the hunting team, each killing Wild Animals with their hands to feed the seven. Only Nubbdruples fights with a weapon, utilizing his grandfather's pickaxe to hack at the fairy creatures. Palamedes has claimed the first kill as his own, strangling the bloodied lousefolk to death. Unfortunately, their meat is inedible and their bones are too brittle to make arrows from.
    Palamedes hasn't taken the uselessness of his first kill lightly, cursing the land for its treachery. Vlad suggests hunting ravens next.
  • Bubbles are now coming up out of the ground! They seem harmless, but BATMAN suspects the worst.
  • The Nestboxes have payed off. Both hens have laid half a dozen eggs each, and there are more coming.
  • Shpoopers has cut down every last tree in the so-called forest. Ours stocks total to about 25 Wood. Plants seem to regrow fast here, and 3 meals worth of strawberries have been harvested over the week.
  • Vancho has appointed Palamedes the Military Captain, chief of security and leader of the hunt. It will be Summer soon.
  • The miners continue to dig in new spots, and their ventures continue to fail.
  • Vlad has in fact befriended every dwarf but Nubbdruple, who remains guarded.
  • Shpoopers has crafted 7 beds out of wood. They will be shared between all of the dwarves.

Screenshot of Current Map:
[Image: 001%20Dwarf%20Fortress%20CHPI%20Startish.PNG]
The Yellow dwarf near the waggon is Shpoopers, the Red dwarf off to the left is Pagan, all those blue things are bubbles, and everything else pretty much is exactly what it looks like. Other people are either behind dogs or underground sleeping in one of the beds.
03-14-2015, 10:58 AM
Huzzah! Pagan has slaughtered a Giant Hamster (at least at big as he) and the dwarves have butchered it for it's hide, meat, and bone! Pagan has gained three combat levels, 2 in fighter and 1 in striker!
The meat is edible, the bones can become arrows, and the hides are being tanned into leather. It is now Summer.
03-14-2015, 07:33 PM
Can we have a list of the current population?
03-15-2015, 01:38 AM
Who is the blue dwarf near the bags? And is there any way to figure out what the bubbles are doing? It seems like some of the bubbles are brown for some reason.
03-15-2015, 02:01 AM (This post was last modified: 03-15-2015 02:09 AM by Reyweld.)
The Blue Dwarf is Palamedes, and the brown bubbles are actually beehives, apparently.

List of Dwarves (with highest level stat):
BATMAN the Level 2 Plant Gatherer
Shpoopers the Level 2 Wood Cutter
Palamedes the Level 3 Bone Carver
Vlad the Level 3 Cook
Pagan the Level 5 Siege Engineer
Vancho the Level 10 Miner
Nubbdruples the Level 12 Miner

MINIUPDATE: BATMAN and Pagan are Lovers!

A Migrant Wave has arrived, and the following three dwarves have arrived:
Carnegie the Level 3 Conversationalist
SupahKiven the Level 6 Fisher
Yappy the Level 10 Metalsmith

Oh yeah, and Carnegie and SupahKiven are married and own a puppy.
03-15-2015, 03:36 AM
Journal 3

Curse this land and its useless creatures. At least I've shown the effectiveness of my dog corps. I have also been promoted to chief of military and hunting, a title worthy of me.

New migrants have arrived with a dog. I will petition to conscript it to my army, and continue to train it and myself into peak fighting condition.
03-15-2015, 04:06 AM
Beginning of Year 2: (It's been a year)
  • There has been no further migrant waves. Where are our fellow dwarves? The three newcomers have been vagrants for years,only stumbling upon our fortress, and they offer no explanation for the lack of immigrants.
  • A giant Slug was killed, giving at least 50 meals worth of meat. We've made bone bolts, but so far Palamedes has only used his fists.
  • No trees have regrown, but plants sprout back up almost instantly. Winter is coming.
  • About 20 puppies have been born, and a horse foal. Kittens will soon follow.
  • Mining is a failure. The dwarves have no idea how we are going to construct a fortress with no stone and barely any wood.
03-15-2015, 04:29 AM (This post was last modified: 03-15-2015 04:36 AM by Reyweld.)
MIRACLE ALERT: The tide hasn't come in for a year, so the miners decided to dig there (in the ocean). And they found stone! Praise the Mineral Deity!

Also migrants came, two of which are "That Dwarf" and "Amos". But I need 5 more names!
03-15-2015, 04:39 AM
Just pick other people on the forums. Randomly.

Alternately, name them after the Spice Girls (Scary Spice, Posh Spice, Ginger Spice, Baby Spice, Sporty Spice).
03-15-2015, 04:47 AM
(03-15-2015 02:01 AM)Reyweld Wrote:  Oh yeah, and Carnegie and SupahKiven are married and own a puppy.

SHIPPING
03-15-2015, 05:30 AM
<3 My Supah

Oh boy I'm a conversationalist

Gonna be mayor of all y'all
03-15-2015, 09:55 AM
(03-15-2015 02:01 AM)Reyweld Wrote:  List of Dwarves (with highest level stat):
BATMAN the Level 2 Plant Gatherer
Shpoopers the Level 2 Wood Cutter
Palamedes the Level 3 Bone Carver
Vlad the Level 3 Cook
Pagan the Level 5 Siege Engineer
Vancho the Level 10 Miner
Nubbdruples the Level 12 Miner
Hell yeah, highest level! Grandfather's pickaxe, you say?
03-15-2015, 12:26 PM

Batman's... A gatherer?

03-16-2015, 08:24 AM
I have to say, this is a really cool project. Are there any other races in this world? Because you're going to need a diplomat at some point. If only so you can take everyone's stuff later. ;)
03-16-2015, 09:52 AM
(03-15-2015 12:26 PM)hector212121 Wrote:  ....

Batman's... A gatherer?

Oh yes. BATMAN gathers evidence on any potential enemies of New Gotham City, so as to keep justice intact. And also plants to keep life intact, but that's somewhat less important.
03-22-2015, 02:27 AM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2015 02:27 AM by Pagan.)
I think we need a danger room, so I can become a better killer. It is my goal to become the first champion of this fortress. It is my duty, to my lover, "BATMAN"

Working Name: Anarkismo
03-22-2015, 05:27 AM
Holey Moley I'm a level 10 Metalsmith? . . . I mean of course I am! Hahahah!

I'm in support of the danger room as long as you make sure the spears are wooden training. I tried it once and I wasn't careful in what I picked to use . . . needless to say it ended up in loads of !!FUN!!.
03-22-2015, 08:49 AM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2015 08:50 AM by ICan'tGiveCredit.)
I made all the beds that all my ships are going to sleep on. "PaganxBATMAN!" is engraved on every square inch of the headboard. To guilt you into keeping it.

Edited for Readability and Preservation of Sanity - The Revolution - OP - Chapter 1/2 - Chapter 2/2 (missing maps) - Chapter 2 - Chapter 3 (Ongoing) - Chat
03-22-2015, 12:13 PM
I promote the idea of this execution-I mean danger training room. Pagan your interest in warrioring is admirable though and I would prefer you fight in a more regular fashion.
03-26-2015, 01:13 PM
yeah an a idea of a danger room is pretty cool.
03-26-2015, 10:03 PM
I will try to play DF sometime tonight, so expect a Year 2 update soonish. Sorry to keep you guys waiting.
03-30-2015, 02:46 AM (This post was last modified: 03-30-2015 02:47 AM by Reyweld.)
End of Year 2 Update:
  • Dwarven traders arrived, and our dwarves had nothing to offer them. The traders, being the kind souls they are, gave us everything they had. Or at least, that's what Vancho, the Expedition Leader was told.
  • It is Winter now; our fortress' second winter.
  • 3 small farm plots have been constructed, growing mushrooms and sweet peas. Vlad tends to the plots, hoping that his careful gardening will yield its fruit.
  • This year's puppies and kittens seem to love the southern cave. They will prove to be strong war beasts.
  • Vlad borrows Palamedes Crossbow more then frequently. Wherever he goes with it, he brings back plenty of food.
  • It is now Spring.
  • With the newly made danger room, BATMAN uses it the most frequent.
  • Our crops thrive, and our wrestlers continue to bring back meat. Food stocks are high, with approximately 700 meals worth of plants and meat in storage. Yappy gets the great idea of cooking meals out of the meat. He is tired with eating mushrooms and meat off of the bone. Who knows, maybe traders are interested in prepared meals as well.
  • Out of a population of nearly 20, Vancho only has 2 friendships: Vlad ad Nubbdruples. Carnegie, his political adversary, has many more (BATMAN, Yappy, Shpoopers, Palamedes, That Dwarf, Pagan, and Vlad). Carnegie also has recently married SupahKiven. Although Vancho holds the position of expedition leader for now, he fears he may be overthrown at any moment.
  • Migrants: the joker, Credit, and 10 more(name them, if you dare).
  • The tide went out, and a wall was erected to keep the water out. This way, we can always access the stone vein that isn't an aquifer.
  • Pagan has withdrawn from society. He isn't eating or sleeping or talking to anyone. He keeps on mumbling about something, but no one wants to get close enough to him to hear what madness is in store. Finally, after 20 days of fasting, Pagan rushes into a Leather Workshop, not allowing anyone else inside.
  • Carnegie and SupahKiven have given birth to a baby girl(name it)!
  • It is now Summer.
  • Amos is the new appointed Broker.
  • Using 1 albatross and 1 slug leather, Pagan has created an artifact Leather Bag called "BlazedChar", worth about 3500. It has adorning strips and spikes, all made of leather. He is now a legendary Tanner.

Screen Shots:
The Danger Room (the joker is the Dwarf at top, Palamedes and Pagan are the two bottom dwarves. the other two aren't named):
[Image: 002%20Danger%20Room.png]
PREEDIT: Image isn't working, so have a link.

Ridiculous Amount of food:
[Image: 003%20FOOD!!.bmp]

Cats and Dogs, living together:
[Image: 004%20Puppies%20and%20Kittens%20in%20a%20Cave.bmp]

Named People List:
Shpoopers, the level 2 Carpenter
Palamedes, the level 3 Bonecarver
That Dwarf, the level 3 Comedian
Vlad, the level 3 Cook
BATMAN, the level 4 Fighter
Carnegie, the level 4 Conversationalist
Baby Spice, the level 6 Weaponsmith
Scary Spice, the level 6 Furnace Operator
SupahKiven, the level 6 Fisher
Sporty Spice, the level 7 Farmer
Amos, the level 10 Engraver
Credit, the level 10 Clay Glazer
Posh Spice, the level 10 Armoursmith
the joker, the level 10 Lye Maker
Yappy, the level 10 Metalsmith
Ginger Spice, the level 13 Potter
Pagan, the level 16 Tanner
Nubbdruples, the level 20 Miner (max level)
Vancho, the level 20 Miner (max level)
03-30-2015, 03:56 AM
you know seeing as Vlad is pretty much friends with everyone he might overthrow Vancho.