Poll: Select your preferred candidate...
This poll is closed.
Carnegie 0% 0 0%
Speedchuck 0% 0 0%
Coldblooded 15.79% 3 15.79%
Beruru 84.21% 16 84.21%
Total 19 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Discussion Mafia Cross-Community Game feat. Beruru
04-07-2015, 08:05 AM
RE: Mafia Cross-Community Game feat. Beruru
Game 1 of the second season of the Mafia Championship has started: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/59/puz...a-1523482/

If you'd like to spectate the game, feel free to add me on Skype and I'll invite you to the spectator chat: thingyman

The chat attracted more than a 100 people last time from all the various communities and was a ton of fun. Most importantly, it is a great opportunity for networking and creating connections with other communities as evidenced by the fact that it led to a bunch of crossover games the first time around. You should pop in and say hello :)

LINE-UP
Bubbles (NinSheetMusic)
CPHoya (Super Mafia All Stars)
fontisian (Dark Lord Potter)
Guild (Talking Time)
Harb (Play Diplomacy)
itisally (The Grey Labyrinth)
NeilOnnsu (Art of Problem Solving)
Paperblade (Serenes Forest)
TheDarkestLight (SC2 Mafia)
Timewave (Atheist Foundation of Australia)
VikeStep (Feed the Beast)
Vytron (xkcd)
Zack (CivFanatics)
04-08-2015, 03:23 AM
Has anyone else been keeping an eye on their game?
04-08-2015, 04:12 AM
Championship game 1? Yeah, I've been watching it.
04-08-2015, 04:15 AM
Nah, I'm waiting to see the one with Beru in it.
04-08-2015, 08:11 AM
Hey, font played here too like, twice....

"Have some wine," the March Hare said in an encouraging tone.
Alice looked all round the table, but there was nothing on it but tea.
"I don't see any wine," she remarked.

(06-25-2013 09:31 AM)Chirality Wrote:  And then everyone cut the simplest explanations in tiny pieces then set them on fire then threw them in a lake and poisoned the lake.
04-08-2015, 11:01 AM
(04-08-2015 04:15 AM)speedchuck Wrote:  Nah, I'm waiting to see the one with Beru in it.

beru is game 5, the last game before finals

It's time to, T-T-T-T-T-T TRIPLE POST
04-15-2015, 02:37 AM
Yeesh town got wrecked in that game
04-15-2015, 04:53 AM
the play quality is disappointing me, tbqh

(06-25-2013 09:31 AM)Chirality Wrote:  And then everyone cut the simplest explanations in tiny pieces then set them on fire then threw them in a lake and poisoned the lake.
04-15-2015, 05:12 AM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2015 05:12 AM by Carnegie.)
Same, I was kind of expecting better from champions. They were all over the place and not picking up on some real scummy stuff
04-15-2015, 10:07 AM
I like how Guild acknowledged his mistake wrt helping scum and then some guy bit your head off for agreeing.

Was still a little entertaining at least, but way too fast for me to properly follow it.
04-19-2015, 11:13 AM
Second game:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/59/puz...a-1525129/

I havent looked into it either but I can only imagine playoffs consisting of people arbitrarially selected based on their performance.
04-19-2015, 11:26 AM
i love how there are two sports forums on this player bracket

some of these places you wouldve never guessed to find mafia games

04-19-2015, 12:49 PM
As far as I can tell, players in each game elect three others that they think played best in their game, plus a couple of wildcards. So it's not completely arbitrary I guess.
04-19-2015, 03:11 PM (This post was last modified: 04-19-2015 03:12 PM by anacreon.)
the scum team elects one of their own the town elects one of their own and the 3rd i think is picked by judges/people observing.

[Image: sonicsig2.jpg]
Steam
04-19-2015, 05:43 PM
What are all these people talking about in their mafia games? Not even end of N2, and already has over 1300 posts. In comparison, Game 1 was the same length total as Game 2 is now, and to compare, games on this forum of comparable size only clock in at around 1000-1200 posts. BlenderSongfia, with its massive playerlist, has ~2500+.

I was going to compare pagecounts, but then I noticed that they had 15 posts per page by default, while we have 50 by default, so huge difference, and so pagecounts are not one-to-one with amount of discussion.

The one, the only, Vancho!
04-19-2015, 07:22 PM
The players are natually more active and more willingly to answer questions. They likely have more competitive motivations too.
Funny though, if the first game lead to total town ruin then it goes to show that regardless of how much one talks its not a matter of logic and solveability but primarially intuition.

I mean, in the optimal game everyone will act as town leading to a rather laudable game of chance, ignoring scum bias. But of course, as soon as you add that in you've got momentum. Town's defense is to discover that momentum and still it to achieve victory, but scum has the power to initiate it and town's power is entirely reactionary. And thus it is my philosophy that a purely vanilla game is shallowly scum sided in a pool of chancey outcomes and throwing a cop in is simply adding to the chaos, not making it a game of strategy.
Hell, one could say by this logic that a game consisting of primarially power roles is a better game of psychology to deal with because it gives all players non blind motivations.

But yes, here's my defeatist argument: mafia can be compared to games like chess in its inspiration to predict ones actions, but may as well be a game of yahtzee in a realm where all players know how to play optimally.

And I play mafia as a game among friends, not as a competition.
04-19-2015, 09:20 PM
(04-19-2015 11:26 AM)phantomEclipse Wrote:  i love how there are two sports forums on this player bracket

some of these places you wouldve never guessed to find mafia games

Check again, there's actually four.
04-20-2015, 02:37 AM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2015 02:37 AM by Carnegie.)
Also in a vanilla game if your cop isn't good at hinting without being obvious you're kind of screwed.

And honestly, I don't think I have ever seen a doctor be useful in a vanilla game, even though it's considered one of the pinnacle roles. It's generally pretty hard to predict the mentality of the Mafia's kills.
04-20-2015, 04:46 AM
(04-19-2015 07:22 PM)amosmyn Wrote:  Hell, one could say by this logic that a game consisting of primarially power roles is a better game of psychology to deal with because it gives all players non blind motivations.

This is a reason why I still long to craft a balanced, role madness game. Doubt it'll ever happen though.

Also because of basically everything you've said I've always been sort of eh on mafia being something fit for purely competitive play.
04-20-2015, 05:00 AM
If there's no measurable quantity to justify one's success over another the concept of Championship is terribly inappropriate for Mafia.
04-20-2015, 05:07 AM
I feel like getting killed off early (N1, for instance) pretty much ruins any chance you have at moving on to the next round and doesn't allow you to showcase your abilities
04-20-2015, 05:41 AM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2015 05:42 AM by Vancho1.)
(04-20-2015 05:07 AM)Carnegie Wrote:  I feel like getting killed off early (N1, for instance) pretty much ruins any chance you have at moving on to the next round and doesn't allow you to showcase your abilities

Hmm, that's interesting. So then, if you want to 'win', i.e. move forward in the tournament, you have an incentive to maybe lie low until later days.

Or perhaps, if you think you might die, you would want to talk as much as possible early, so that the rest of the players can get a handle on you.

The one, the only, Vancho!
04-20-2015, 09:54 AM
The death thing makes me wonder if Resistance would be a better game for a "championship" type thing, since everyone survives and gets an opportunity to demonstrate how they play.

The biggest obstacle though (i.e. that it's a pretty subjective test of skill, especially given it's a team game but everyone HAS to enter tournaments and be assessed as an individual) is a lot more difficult to resolve.

WHOA CHECK OUT ALL THESE MAFIA GAMES GUYS
(06-06-2016 06:12 AM)Coldblooded Wrote:  if there was ever a scumteam to overthink things and make a huge dramatic production out of day one, DC and Granola would probably be it.
04-20-2015, 10:28 AM
You'd have to play 3-5 games per group/round to properly evaluate that imo.
04-20-2015, 10:40 AM
That's not actually so bad, Resistance is designed to be more rapid-fire than mafia isn't it?

(06-06-2016 06:12 AM)Coldblooded Wrote:  if there was ever a scumteam to overthink things and make a huge dramatic production out of day one, DC and Granola would probably be it.
04-20-2015, 10:58 AM
Considering N1 & N2 NKs have made it into the finals before I don't think it's actually a problem.

Anyway I'm pretty sure the main reason the cross-commuity games have awful Town winratios (the only Town win since the whole thing started was the Season 1 final, which featured some oddities like a wolf being modkilled) is that players are completely unaware of each other's metas, strengths, and weaknesses.
04-20-2015, 04:50 PM
I didn't really follow the first set honestly, but I do agree with Amos that basic mafia is a fair bit scum-sided. I've noticed as a whole that forum mafia in general (as opposed to playing it irl) is more favourable towards scum since they don't have to worry so much about giveaways (especially verbal and facial ones).
05-15-2015, 11:45 AM
hm, beru is game 5 right?

i would feel emBEARassed if i somehow missed her playing in the competition

05-15-2015, 08:58 PM
I just assume someone will notice us in this thread once Beru's game starts.
05-15-2015, 09:42 PM
Just swung by and checked; it's Night Two of Game Four at the moment.

So soon (trademark).

and now, hunger does what sorrow could never do
website | @tehpilot
05-16-2015, 01:49 PM
Sotek let me borrow the machine pls.

05-16-2015, 01:55 PM
wut, but. he hasnt even posted here yet????

05-19-2015, 02:43 PM
i still haven't written my bio yet, guys what should i put in it

05-19-2015, 02:48 PM
bear gifs

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: ah-thats-a-comfortable-chair-now-bring-m...please.gif]

[Image: sig.gif]
05-20-2015, 12:50 AM
I would make your bio a parody of the other users bios.

theyre so serious.
05-20-2015, 12:56 AM
(03-29-2015 02:46 PM)beruru Wrote:  i'm the master of shitposting while remaining relevant in the mafias.

also, apparently my read wpm is ~900 or so. so i will be ok with reading all the shitposts, too.

~~trust me~~
(03-29-2015 04:36 PM)Coldblooded Wrote:  Hmm yeah, I don't know for sure if I'd even be able to keep up with a game like that, speed-reading has never really been a particular strength of mine.

And so, after much consideration and after discussing it with my family and political advisers at great length, I've decided to officially drop out of the running and throw my support behind the honorable Beruru instead, under the sole condition that she makes sure to shitpost enough for the two of us combined.

May her reign as mafia overlord be long and terrible.
(03-29-2015 07:49 PM)anacreon Wrote:  Honestly if beru wins this poll i am kind of hoping she ends up on the mafia side considering how scary she is as mafia.
Regardless of what side she is on though watch her figure out who the cop is by the end of day 1.
This is all the bio we need.
05-20-2015, 09:05 AM
yep

05-20-2015, 09:58 AM
i have decided that my bio will just be bear gifs

i think that is appropriate

05-20-2015, 10:16 AM
I was going to recommend nothing but that bear with a bonfire picture you kept posting in Traffic Jam, personally :V

05-27-2015, 02:35 PM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2015 02:36 PM by anacreon.)
the game beru is in has started and is already in n1: here

[Image: sonicsig2.jpg]
Steam
05-27-2015, 03:31 PM
And this round's theme: aggressive shitposting.

and now, hunger does what sorrow could never do
website | @tehpilot
05-27-2015, 04:14 PM
Beru your bio is beauty
05-27-2015, 11:12 PM
i daresay its unbearable
05-28-2015, 02:22 AM
Is it just me or is Majiffy the biggest dickhead ever? I suspect he got elected because everyone wanted him to go bother another forum instead of theirs.
05-28-2015, 03:10 AM
Well, he is apparently on drugs, as he said he is, and was.
05-28-2015, 03:54 AM
I couldn't stand reading the whole thing (mostly that yelling seal guy, it was Primehunt's Falconpunch all over again, but with people actually buying his shit) so I skipped to the end of D1. That seer claim was great. I didn't actually read any of the posts of the guy that got speedlynched instead, but I'll assume they were awful.
05-28-2015, 04:19 AM
I loved how angry seal guy kept rehashing the same points over and over again all day and presenting Beruru as "confirmed scum" and then got super mad when Beruru claimed, as if he isn't playing exactly like every single other abrasive jackass with no mafia skills whatsoever.

Beruru, you are a hero, thank you for saving me from that nightmare of a day one.

Tumblr/Steam
05-28-2015, 04:24 AM
If someone like him ever saunters over to these forums rest assured the infractions will fly.
You dont need tp be that crass to make a point, nor narrate every post relevant to you with derogatory commentary.

Good play Beruru!
05-28-2015, 04:25 AM
I have to admit besides raging seal guy stepping over the line a lot, this game is pretty hilarious thus far.
05-28-2015, 04:32 AM
Oh my god, they're still calling Beruru "him" even after she corrected them once already and even though her avatar is clearly a picture of a girl wearing a dress on a pink background.

Where did these clowns even come from.

Tumblr/Steam