@Acio

It's time to, T-T-T-T-T-T TRIPLE POST
05-22-2015, 12:10 AM
RE: [20/20] City Slickers Mafia [Soon.]
Already offered to replace in yo
05-22-2015, 01:14 PM
RE: [20/20] City Slickers Mafia [Soon.]
The Unusual Suspects

The Broken Chandelier was never exactly an upscale establishment - it was built around an unused cistern in Westgate's sewer system, for starters. It also was hardly a surprise that the architecture of the Chandelier wasn't exactly pristine itself. Built out of dirty stone blocks and crudely patched up with rotting wood planks, the central tavern was lit by a mixture of jerry-rigged fluorescent lighting and flickering candles.

Not a single person in the establishment flinched when the ceiling caved in, and two careless police officers walking through the tunnel above came careening down right in the middle of the activity. One of the seedy patrons walked over to the stereo system and turned it off as Commissioner Perry and Chief Lancer brushed the dust off their uniforms. They looked around, flinched, and promptly drew their weapons as a talkative criminal crowd slowly formed around them.

"Alright, calm down," a slurred voice rang out. The man possessing said voice - a burly, sweaty man standing well over six foot four - came lumbering forward, looking down at the police officers. "What brings you two in 'ere?"

"Don't move a muscle," Commissioner Perry quickly shouted, drawing his weapon and circling in place. Chief Lancer made a motion for Perry to calm down, but it went unheralded. "Any of you are subject to arrest by the Westgate Police Department if your full and honest cooperation is not given--"

"And what makes you think you even stand a chance when you're surrounded?" yelled a member of the crowd.

"Calm down," Lancer growled at Perry before addressing the crowd. "We're not interested in performing any arrests. There's a likelihood none of you are anywhere near as dangerous as our intended target anyway. We do ask, however, for your co-operation."

"Let me guess," the burly man roared, "you're looking for the popsicle killer 'yerself, huh?" The crowd broke out in laughter. "Trust me, we're not too happy about the attention and chaos that piece of trash is causing. Brings your kind down here. Now you should get out before we give the police another death or two to investigate--"

Lancer drew THE ENFORCER and held it up high, causing the advancing crowd to stop and laugh again.

"What's a toy pistol gonna do, kill us all?" mocked another member of the crowd.

"Exactly," Lancer continued. "This gun - THE ENFORCER - uses ammunition with extreme energy accumulation capabilities. If this bullet travels far enough, it can output enough kinetic energy to level all of Westgate. My police badge can detect if the gun is removed from my hand or if I die - in which case, it will go off and clean out the entire network of tunnels. Either nobody is arrested or dies, or we all die - and I think I know what you folks want."

"Well, you could just be bluffin'," the large man replied. "But I'll trust yer word, especially if you're not looking 'fer trouble. They call me Salty Joe down 'ere, and I make the drink for anyone passing by. If 'ya need a voice of reason to get through 'ta everybody, I'm 'yer man. Now, what's yer business?"

"We're seeking the popsicle killer," Perry said, calm enough to speak again. "I know they may not be here, but we'll take whatever leads we can get at this point."

"That's a tall favor to ask," replied a higher-pitched, grittier voice from the back. Stepping out of the shadows, a wiry, greasy-haired young man walked to the front of the crowd. "It should be clear the popsicle killer is just urban legend, and these crimes are being perpetuated by a number of copycat criminals. There's no way one single individual, barring supernatural powers, could be everywhere causing all these explosions at once."

"Hey, you're--"

"Yeah, I know, that kid expelled from the Institute so long ago," Maxwell groaned. "Everyone knows about Max, sabotaged the graduation ceremony forever ago, something something exploding potato technology. Let's not discuss it, okay? I'm not proud and I'm just paying my toll until I can get out of this forsaken city." Salty Joe nodded, rubbing his fingers together as if two silver coins were between them - a subtle indication he was giving a cut of the Chandelier's profits to Maxwell.

"But, seriously, Commissioner - I assume that title works? - just look at the facts," Maxwell sarcastically groaned, drawing a plastic-wrapped object from his jacket. "See what I have here? It's a popsicle. Right from the Freezy Cold Confectionaries store itself, kept cold by the tavern's fridge. See? I'm waving it around wildly! Where's the spooky dessert boogeyman? He's not real." Maxwell pretended to faint, wiping sweat from his brow. "Oh man, it's so hot outside! I can't stand this heat! I could really go for a popsicle right now!"

The ground trembled. The lights flickered. Salty Joe could only begin to reprimand Maxwell for his word choice when the lights went out.

A bright flash of light and a violent scream later, and Maxwell was on fire, running in circles and rolling through a nearby sewage drain. Stop, drop, and roll only helped Maxwell marginally - by the time fellow patrons finished bludgeoning the child with the fire blanket, Maxwell's clothes were mostly burnt off and his body was covered in burns.

"What the actual hell?" Maxwell cried, flinching as every motion aggravated his burns. "I've carried that stupid tube of ice for months and nothing's happened!"

Patrons of the Chandelier rushed to pick up Maxwell, ready to carry him to the general hospital. Salty Joe, however, stood in their way, refusing exit. "Oh no. Nobody's leaving now," he grumbled, his agitated voice shaking the room. "Light some candles and sit down. Someone's gonna die 'fer this."

"Joe, he needs prompt medical attention," Lancer pleaded. "Let one of us take him to the hospital-"

"No," Salty Joe replied. "Maxwell can stop crying and patch up," he said, tossing a bottle of aloe at Maxwell's limp self. "Everyone - including the fuzz - stays until we figure out just who this 'popsicle killer' is. One of 'yer or someone in these tunnels is that very person, and they aren't leaving the Chandelier alive."

The criminals gathered apprehensively glanced around in the darkness. Salty Joe walked over to the power generator and kicked it, spurring the machine back to life. As the lights returned and the police officers took to tending Maxwell's burns, the criminals prepared themselves for a rough investigation.

"All of 'yer - line up!" yelled Salty Joe. "We're gonna go down the list and see what each and everyone one of 'you has 'ta say."

"And one last house rule - don't ever say that dreaded word again."

It is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED you do not say "popsicle" in any of your posts this game. Don't want to risk anything, do you?

Role PMs are now going out! Expect them to arrive within the next few days. Please confirm receipt of your role in every Quicktopic you receive.

The game will begin when all role PMs are delivered, and a sizable portion of the playerbase has confirmed receipt of their role.

and now, hunger does what sorrow could never do
website | @tehpilot
05-26-2015, 09:12 AM
RE: [20/20] City Slickers Mafia [Maxwell's Just Desserts]
erm, have qt's been sent out?

05-26-2015, 10:36 AM
Some of them. It's been slow-going, and I found myself occupied for a day. I'll have a lot more written up and sent out very shortly, and if it takes too long I'll just send people's roles out and add the fancy writeups later.

website | @tehpilot
05-28-2015, 05:15 PM
Sorry this is taking so long! I should have them sending out by tomorrow. Sorry to keep most of you waiting uncomfortably.

website | @tehpilot
06-01-2015, 02:07 PM
[Image: tumblr_mzhuwkIlBX1t346e1o1_250.jpg]

06-02-2015, 09:40 PM
I'll go ahead and unspoiler this bit since you guys deserve transparency and not handwavey vague mod stuff.

Truth be told, I've been a bit sidetracked these last few weeks and haven't been writing at full capacity. A good deal of time I could've spent writing, I instead put towards recruiting friends for game design projects and doing some studywork for an upcoming temporary job. Now that's no excuse - I very well could've written everything and had this game going - but admittedly my time management skills need polishing up.

I'll send out roles and very brief bios on their own today, and work on delivering the 4-5 paragraph character bios I normally do during D1. I sent out one or two finished bios and nobody else, and I'm sorry that I didn't get to do that for everyone straight out of the gate.

My apologies once again. This is uncharacteristic of me for Mafia games and I don't intend for it to become habit.

website | @tehpilot
06-02-2015, 11:14 PM
looks forward to role PM, raises eyebrows about game design projects

WHOA CHECK OUT ALL THESE MAFIA GAMES GUYS
(06-06-2016 06:12 AM)Coldblooded Wrote:  if there was ever a scumteam to overthink things and make a huge dramatic production out of day one, DC and Granola would probably be it.
06-03-2015, 04:42 AM
Also, probably never a good idea to say "I don't have my role PM yet," just in case someone is sending out role PMs in order of roles. Like town first, then mafia.

"We love eloquence for its own sake, and not for any truth which it may utter, or any heroism it may inspire."
-Henry David Thoreau
06-03-2015, 05:00 AM
FYI: I am going to be hella absent this thursday through sunday (the 4th though the 7th).

I might check in one or twice on my phone but I'm going to be at a ... thing and I super hate phone typing so uh.

be warned about that. :<

I don't think I'll need a replacement! But that first day's gonna be a bit of a doozy.
06-03-2015, 09:06 AM
@Pilot

Thanks Dad

06-03-2015, 10:00 AM
Oh I didn't think anyone had them yet D:

My bad

(06-06-2016 06:12 AM)Coldblooded Wrote:  if there was ever a scumteam to overthink things and make a huge dramatic production out of day one, DC and Granola would probably be it.
06-03-2015, 10:13 AM
[Image: fc,550x550,white.u9.jpg]

:D
06-03-2015, 04:40 PM
Sent out everyone's roles!

Fancy writing coming soon.

website | @tehpilot
06-04-2015, 08:00 AM
When's the game actually start?
06-04-2015, 08:26 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2015 08:27 AM by AProcrastinatingWriter.)
@Sotek:

[Image: fc,550x550,white.u9.jpg]

[Image: g4osirL.jpg]
06-04-2015, 08:30 AM
I may be able to start it up tonight. I just need to check how many confirmations I got. Looks to be upwards of 90% confirmed.

Alternatively: I can start the game after Sotek is back, and that'd give me more time to write up flavortext and the like.

website | @tehpilot
06-04-2015, 01:15 PM
(06-04-2015 08:30 AM)TehPilot Wrote:  Alternatively: I can start the game after Sotek is back, and that'd give me more time to write up flavortext and the like.

In favor of this
06-04-2015, 01:48 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2015 01:49 PM by Carnegie.)
I second waiting until Sotek is back! c:
06-04-2015, 03:08 PM
#wait4sotek2k15
06-04-2015, 03:24 PM
Throw my hat in for:

[Image: tumblr_npek6yoLoz1tl4eifo1_540.jpg]

aka waiting for Sotek

06-04-2015, 03:44 PM
dont care what we do, we can wait

in the meantime, i need someone to heavily photoshop the Soon picture with memes

06-04-2015, 03:59 PM
[Image: 67ISxkE.jpg]
06-04-2015, 05:44 PM
I'm also a-ok with a short wait/more flavaflav.
06-04-2015, 05:55 PM
I suppose while we're waiting for me to write more, I'll field something I briefly brought up with Palamedes.

Back in DHI4 (whichever was recently run here) (I think it was that game?) one Night cycle acted as a "campfire" night where unrelated, non-game discussion took place. Since I know night cycles can get restless for the deceased and weaker roles, I was thinking of possibly trying it out this game.

It would allow me to break up some of the extra flavor to be told overnight, give you guys a chance to understand the framing story, and otherwise be chill with me and your fellow townsfolk. It seemed moderately successful when it was last done. I am concerned with excessive thread cluttering and possibly not being able to drive much discussion, so I pose the question.

Game-unrelated night talk: yes, infrequently, separate from thread, or not at all?

website | @tehpilot
06-04-2015, 07:08 PM
It was actually AT mafia and that sounds like a great idea tbh.

06-05-2015, 02:43 AM
If people want this it might just be better to open a campfire Topic in this board.
06-05-2015, 09:49 AM
(06-04-2015 07:08 PM)dichotomousCreator Wrote:  It was actually AT mafia and that sounds like a great idea tbh.

It was both, mine was just stated in Vancho1's role. but it acted as an extension of the game instead instead of in DHI4 when it was off topic talk only.

06-05-2015, 09:56 AM
Oh yeah you're right pE, I got kinda confused. It was DHI, my bad.

@Amos: In this case I think Pilot wants to use it in part for stuff specific to this game though? (Like, lore and stuff). I guess that could still be done in a campfire thread but having it in-thread has advantages too.

06-05-2015, 03:18 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2015 03:19 PM by Mister Visceral.)
As long as Pilot uses Tactical Hyperlinkingâ„¢, I think campfire nights could work in-thread. Like dC said, all the lore being in one thread would be neat-oh.

"We love eloquence for its own sake, and not for any truth which it may utter, or any heroism it may inspire."
-Henry David Thoreau
06-05-2015, 04:32 PM
#waitforsotek2k15
06-08-2015, 05:42 PM
I am home now! Also about to pass out because I am exhausted, but I'm home and will be around.
06-09-2015, 01:18 AM
[Image: cheering_minions.gif]

06-09-2015, 06:03 PM
Tomorrow, 10PM EST.

The Chandelier's residents make a nasty discovery, and Ivan learns something truly alarming. Just what happens? We'll find out in due time.

website | @tehpilot
06-09-2015, 10:56 PM
[Image: HypeTrain.jpg]

CHOOO CHOOOOO

ALL ABOARD
06-10-2015, 04:03 AM
excited for TehPlot

-Henry David Thoreau
06-10-2015, 01:27 PM
[Image: GvULv2m.png?1]

Ivan's eJournal, Entry ID No. 6707
One month and just a week's passed since the first killing. Forty lives have been claimed by the popsicle killer. And in that timeframe, I found nothing about Archibald that had a single lead. Andrea gave me a glare and refused to continue further investigation. I said we could do more to pursue Archibald and analyze his interests, but she declined stating her parents were flying in to stya for a while. Looks like I'm going at this alone, then.

I decided to check out the current residence of Archibald and his soon-to-be-spouse. With their studies almost done, I visited their home to see if I could meet them in a more private setting. They lived in a modestly-sized white house, center of the parklike residential district, with two massive oak trees adorning the house like bookends. I seemed to miss them at their home, and thus I decided to plant myself atop one of the trees. I climbed up, spotted an open balcony, and heard arguing from inside. Looks like I arrived in a heated private moment, and what I heard surprised me.

The gist of it? Archibald's superior power source is purportedly powered by magic. I think it's horseshit, tell you the truth, but Amanda was super worked up about it. Something about Archibald going out and killing for the materials to make it. Intrigued, I hung around to hear more - but Amanda simply dashed out of the house in tears. I waited for an hour or so, and then Archibald went off looking for her. The balcony was left unlocked, and I slipped inside the Archibald residence.

And what I found was a document very, very concerning. Archibald was interfacing with a group - known as the Fellowship of the Dragon - and getting special materials through them. It turns out there are these "dragonstones" that conduct magical energies, and that's what the filament for the power source is made from. I don't quite know where the killing part comes in, but some of the Fellowship documentation refers to Archibald as "their best weapon". There's no contact information or anything for this group. Only aliases for everyone but Archibald. I question its legitimacy, but apparently it was enough to set off Amanda. Talk about a marriage going well.

I spent an hour pouring over the document, but got nothing. I saw Amanda approaching the house through the window, dragging a garbage bag and blood stained on her shirt. Dear God, she's killed Archibald.

I'm signing off on this for now. I have to go to the police now.

Previous: The Unusual Suspects << | >> Next: Day One - Internal Combustion

website | @tehpilot
06-10-2015, 01:36 PM
do....do we do things now?

06-10-2015, 02:02 PM
DAY ONE
Internal Combustion

"...That's the last one," Commissioner Perry said.

"Well, we sure got nothin' outta' that," Salty Joe grumbled. "Twenty-one witnesses, and nobody knows a thing 'bout the p- er, icicle treat murderer." The constant need to avoid a specific trigger word was wearing some people thin.

"I got something out of it," Maxwell peeped up, walking out of a closet. "While the interrogation was going on, I did some digging myself. Yes, along, in the Chandelier. And what did I find?"

Maxwell, lifting a manila folder, threw the contents across the Chandelier floor. A few distinct pieces of paper popped out - a map of the Chandelier, weapons diagrams, pieces of paper. Maxwell again walked over and threw crumpled up bits at Salty Joe, citing their contents as he threw them. "A map of the place. Explosives diagrams. Extended hitlists. Even a dossier on a regular who we believed to be arrested saying he's dead."

"What's this got 'ta do with the killer?" Joe asked.

"Absolutely nothing," Maxwell admitted. "But I'll tell you this - some people here know things we don't. Probably about the killer. Because the killer's likely in this very same organization we can call..."

Maxwell produced the label on the filing cabinet. "... the Chandelier's Usurpers. With a name like that and places to set off bombs, I have a feeling we've got a bigger problem than the popsicle killer - and this is coming from the guy who was nearly burnt alive by him!"

A gunshot rung out. Maxwell flinched as it missed his head by an inch. The concealed firearm shot quickly set off a cascade of additional fire, with residents leaping to the sides and under tables. The lights went out again in the hail of gunfire, prompting panic and further combat. Screams sounded out in the dark, soon to be silenced by Chief Lancer's chilling warning.

"Shut up or I'll fire THE ENFORCER!"

All shots subsided. Fear of Lancer's pocket-sized weapon of mass destruction was enough to silence an all-out criminal civil war. Candles lit up as everyone got to their feet, each weapon kicked to the center of the room to avoid identifying their owner. Maxwell was nowhere to be seen.

"One more shot and this entire sewer system is going to hell," Lancer growled. "I don't know what sort of immense fuckery you are all up to, and you can expect every single one of you to go to prison very soon. Unless you cooperate."

"I want those of you in this purported group - the 'Usurpers' - to come forward. And we'll do this very simply. Identify yourselves or out someone, and we'll take them into custody. If you're innocent, you go free. If you're a criminal, you get off with a reduced sentence. And if you know anything about the popsicle killer, you better speak up."

"How do 'ya know this group's even real now?" Salty Joe asked.

"Here's some evidence," Maxwell reappeared, throwing a dead body into the room.

"Holy shit, it's the money laundering guy!"
"I thought he disappeared months ago!"
"He's dead! He's dead!"

"Exactly," Maxwell grinned. "Someone found out, and he was dead. And that paperwork spilled across the floor outlines that very occurrence."

"We've got a supernatural killer and a criminal group within a criminal group, then?" Commissioner Perry asked. "Eric, you owe me a raise."

"Five dollars an hour for every Usurper we catch," Lancer replied with a laugh. "Maxwell, go get hospital treatment for those burns before you collapse. You've earned it."

"The rest of you!" Lancer yelled as Maxwell departed - "here's the rundown again. One of you better step forward with information by sundown. Even better if you're one of them and can tell us more."

"How do you expect us to figure this out?" a voice in the crowd yelled.

"Get talking, or I pull the trigger."

Day One ends June 15th, 10PM EST (~144 hours from now). This is a slightly longer Day One, end it earlier if you don't need the extra time to discuss.

With 20 alive, it takes 11 to lynch. Instead of soft lynch thresholds, we'll try deadline voting this game. A [Deadline Vote: <player>] will not be accounted for until the end of Day One.

Members of the Criminal's Union (aka Living Players) [20/20]:
Carnegie
beruru
dichotomousCreator
yd12k
icanhasdonut
Mirdini
anacreon
Vaimes
Sotek
OzTheWizard
amosmyn
Dank Memes
AProcrastinatingWriter
Darude Astley*
phantomEclipse
Sugar Derby
Jbax1899*
Mister Visceral
Garuru
Acionyx

* = pending formal confirmation.

website | @tehpilot
06-10-2015, 02:08 PM
RE: [20/20] City Slickers Mafia [Day One: Internal Combustion]
vote: OztheWizard

for bein funny lookin

06-10-2015, 02:11 PM
Vote: Vaimes.

Beep boop boop.
06-10-2015, 02:13 PM
voting ProcrastinatingWriter to get it out of my system.

-Henry David Thoreau
06-10-2015, 02:14 PM
Question: Should doomed lynchees shout out the P-word to see what happens? I can see it either offering us some knowledge or providing benefit to a non-town faction somehow. Or both. Or neither. Or just saving us from wasting the lynch.

Lynch: Acionyx pre-emptively for driving the D1 aggro wagon. You know he's going to. :v

06-10-2015, 02:22 PM
[Image: graphics-work-in-progress-759368.gif][Image: graphics-work-in-progress-759368.gif][Image: graphics-work-in-progress-759368.gif][Image: graphics-work-in-progress-759368.gif][Image: graphics-work-in-progress-759368.gif]

(06-10-2015 01:27 PM)TehPilot Wrote:  Fellowship of the Dragon

(06-10-2015 02:02 PM)TehPilot Wrote:  Chandelier's Usurpers

"Have some wine," the March Hare said in an encouraging tone.
Alice looked all round the table, but there was nothing on it but tea.
"I don't see any wine," she remarked.

(06-25-2013 09:31 AM)Chirality Wrote:  And then everyone cut the simplest explanations in tiny pieces then set them on fire then threw them in a lake and poisoned the lake.
06-10-2015, 02:25 PM
imagine the "here comes a new challenger" siren whenever you see those siren gifs, btw

anyway, besides my usual MULTIPLE SCUMTEAMS tinfoil being vindicated before the fucking thread even opened,

Vote: APW

your avatar is still luffy, right?

(06-25-2013 09:31 AM)Chirality Wrote:  And then everyone cut the simplest explanations in tiny pieces then set them on fire then threw them in a lake and poisoned the lake.
06-10-2015, 02:30 PM
if one of those ends up being some fucking third party recruiting totally-not-a-cult technically not antitown bullshit.

i will be so pissed....

i mean technically it's better than MULTIPLE SCUMTEAMS in theory but also it's easier to deal with "vanilla" MULTIPLE SCUMTEAMS as long as pilot didn't do something stupid

06-10-2015, 02:32 PM
(06-10-2015 02:25 PM)beruru Wrote:  your avatar is still luffy, right?

Far as I can tell. Have some aggression you need to work off?

06-10-2015, 02:36 PM
(06-10-2015 02:14 PM)dichotomousCreator Wrote:  Question: Should doomed lynchees shout out the P-word to see what happens? I can see it either offering us some knowledge or providing benefit to a non-town faction somehow. Or both. Or neither. Or just saving us from wasting the lynch.

Lynch: Acionyx pre-emptively for driving the D1 aggro wagon. You know he's going to. :v

if they do it they should do so in "badger badger" parody form.

& it is theoretically up to the discretion of the person...... like how leeroy is theoretically up to the discretion of the person.

and there is no way to *make* people post a word....... and unlike leeroy you don't get to take someone with you. unless we have a DOB. that would be interesting. because they might be a functional leeroy, then