In Progress Arkham - Day Two
06-10-2015, 11:14 AM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2015 06:09 AM by Palamedes.)
Arkham - Day Two
[Image: title.png]

The year is 1926. The Roaring Twenties are in full swing, and post-war America, now devoid of a greater enemy, lives in defiance of its own government. Prohibition demands that every citizen live dry, but bootleggers and mobsters provide liquid disobedience to dandies, bimbos, and dolls alike. Flappers dance until they drop or the police take them in at the speakeasies that spring up only slightly faster than they're shut down.

However, all of this is a distraction to a shadow falling over the world far darker than any that could have been offered by the great war. In the quiet city of Arkham, Massachusetts a dark, ancient power is rising. Powerful entities known only as the Old Ones claw throughout space and time at the fabric that protects our world... and they're starting to break through. Gates to other worlds – their worlds – are opening, and each new one brings them slightly closer to being able to shatter what defences remain. All the while, their servants both within and without work tirelessly to defend their interests in the city, preventing all but the most aware, able, and lucky from even catching onto what is going on, much less stopping it.

Now, the fate of the world hinges on a group of strangers. Each has lived in or come to Arkham for reasons their own, each aware or merely suspicious of the goings on at the city based only on their experiences. The only thing they have going for them is the ability, whether or not they know it yet, to discover and use the tools they'll need to close the gates before the Old Ones can enter through them, turning the world into their ruined kingdom.

Character Name: First and last
Profession: What they do (doesn't actually have to be a job)
Color: The color you will be in the game.
Appearance: What your character looks like.
The Story So Far: A backstory to your character primarily concerned with how you discovered the mythos/caught your suspicion and what brought you to Arkham.

Extras: Stuff you don't have to do, but feel free
Picture: An actual picture of your character (preferably a photo). I'm a dork/traditionalist and will probably make fancy Arkham cards for each character to simplify stuff on my end, and it'd be swell if they looked all nice and proper.
Stats: I'm planning on taking care of all mechanics in the back end based on your bios, but I realize that in a game with background mechanics you may want to exert a little more control on what your character. If so, feel free to complete this little exercise:

1) Which is more important: physical health, mental health, or a balance?
2) List these traits in order of importance: Speed, Stealth, Strength, Willpower, Intelligence, Luck, Adaptability

Signups will be open for a week or so, and I'll be accepting at least 6 players. Please ask any questions you might have via PM or IRC (or Steam/Skype if you have me there).

Here is the original thread. You can find out more about the basis of the background mechanics here, but more importantly some good examples for character bios.

Vital Documents:
Map of Arkham
06-10-2015, 01:56 PM
RE: Arkham
Character Name: Doctor Archibald Montgomery, Ph. D.
Profession: Professor of Mathematics at Miskatonic University - a position most recently acquired.
Color: A rather dignified plum, if you would be so good.
Appearance: Rather young for a full professor, Professor Montgomery is in his early thirties; he has brown hair and most typically wears a suit and tie, with a bowler hat.
The Story So Far: Professor Montgomery is the first to say his life story is of little interest; he studied in non-Euclidian mathematics at Oxford, spent some time as an adjunct professor at Cambridge, and then came to Arkham to accept a position as full professor with Miskatonic U.

Stats 1: Mental Health is of course the most important.
Stats 2: Intelligence, Adaptability, Willpower, Luck, Stealth, Speed, Strength.
06-11-2015, 03:25 AM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2015 08:14 AM by Bramzter.)
Character Name: Reverend Hank Peters
Profession: The Reverend and caretaker of the local church
Color:A heavenly Blue
Appearance: And older fellow nearing 67, He had balding gray hair and blue gray eyes. His skin is tanned by the sun which never quite got back to full Caucasian. He usually wears a black suit and clergy collar while on business but most of the time he just wears a humble and old suit.
The Story So Far: It has been five years since Hank became Reverend of the local St. Stanislaus' Church, succeeding the previous one who died comfortably of old age. He did not come alone, as his Brother and Sister-in-law came with him. He spend the most of the war within the darkest heart of Africa on a french/dutch evangelical mission but was send home cause he was sick. He then was taken in by his Brother and Sister-in-law to acclimatize to the civilized world again, What was a temporary measure faded into permanent vesting as he became part of the household. He got asked to become the reverend of the St. Stanislaus' Church and moved to arkham. They all helped to make the church part of the community and was well regarded by the rest of Arkham...but lately some ruffians began vandalizing the church with the strangest graffiti and he wants to find out why...
Picture:
[Image: john_grindrod_1247898f_zpsfnrggiww.jpg]
Stats: 1) A healthy human is a Balanced human
2) Willpower,Adaptability,Intelligence,Luck, Strength, Speed, Stealth.
06-12-2015, 07:28 AM
Character Name: Herr Heinrich von Klotz

Profession: Majordomo and (former) Operatic Bass

Color: A green color

Appearance: A large character, Herr von Klotz stands tall and proud, wearing a green suit and bavarian hat. He has an extensive assortment of formal wear, appropriate to his position as Majordomo. Herr von Klotz is middle-aged, though, to his delight, he has kept a full head of hair. He also has a large moustache and loves smiling at new people.

The Story So Far: Heinrich's arrival in Arkham was a bit of a mistake, at first. He was part of a travelling production of Wagner's Ring Cycle, visiting the United States from his home country of Germany, when the Great War broke out. They had just gotten to the Arkham Opera House, and tensions were high as they performed, knowing that hostilities had just broken out. Understandably, neither he nor his troupe were able to return while the fighting was going on, and they faced much suspicion in Arkham. As the weeks of war dragged on into months, the company realized that they would not be able to see their homeland for a long time. Thus, they decided to settle down, find new jobs and provide occasional performances to keep their spirits up, as well as show those Americans that Germany was not all savages. Heinrich married his longtime lover Anja, and found work in Arkham's largest hotel, the Grand Cross. Though the wartime years were tough, he used his management experience from the opera to keep the hotel afloat, and soon became the (self-titled) Majordomo.

In recent years, Heinrich has not been singing much, as there has been less demand for Opera. With the birth of his daughter Edith three years ago, he seems to be in a sort of semi-retirement, running things quietly in the Grand Cross. Of course, the hotel is now home to one of Arkham's best speakeasies, and many of the old crew provide entertainment for the guests with scenes from famous operas. In his spare time, however, Heinrich has noticed some strange goings-on. A friend of his from Germany, Prof. Doktor Hans Becke (professor of archaeology and esoterics in Munich), has been sending him some strange manuscripts, alluding to unsettling things happening in the New England town. A few months ago, he became extremely excited about some impending event, and wrote that he would be taking the first steamer over to America. Heinrich has begun noticing more and more, and is becoming afraid, both for his wife and child, and his old friends from the opera. He can only hope that whatever it is is cleared up when Becke arrives from Germany.

The one, the only, Vancho!
06-12-2015, 09:37 AM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2015 09:38 AM by Galloglasses.)
Character Name: Ruarc FitzGerald
Profession: Poor and IrishPrivate Investigator
Color: Black
Appearance: Young, fair haired, scar down one cheek, tall and lanky.
The Story So Far: [wip]

06-12-2015, 06:51 PM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2015 07:27 AM by ProfessorLizzard.)
Character Name: Eduard O'Rylley
Profession: Traveling salesman of monster body parts (fake and real)
Color: Emerald like certain seas
Appearance: A relatively thin man, with a well-kempt curly ginger mustache, and extremely unkempt hair. His eyes are hazelbrown, and perpetually squinting, as he would need to wear glasses, but he does it only in secret.
The Story So Far: Eduard is a travelling businessman, or as some would claim, a snake oil salesman, but those claims have no foundation. All the items he are collecting and reselling are genuine monster body parts! Not rabbitheads with horns glued on them, or bones painted blue.
Alright, the ones he sell to the common people ARE fake, but he does know and collect the Real Deal, to rather shadowy people sometimes. He based his findings on an old codex he inherited (a very watered down version though).

He had to hurriedly travel to the New World, because some people had the audacity to question his wares. Lost, his codex being less useful in the foreign areas of the Americas, he tried to integrate into several local societies of the secret persuasion, for which he had to give up one or two of his secrets. In these institutions is where he learned that something is going on in Arkham, something that could make him rich by selling it to richer people, if he played his cards right.

And he always hides aces up his sleeve.

It is time time
06-12-2015, 08:37 PM
Character Name: Johnathan 'Dark' Brightly A.K.A. Sneeks Darkmun
Profession: Package + Money + Destination = Delivery. No questions asked. Will charge more if endangered.
Color: A dark brown, like the dirt that covers the alleys.
Appearance: Like Ernest_Hemingway, but thinner, with cheaper, dirtier clothes and a shadow to his face.
The Story So Far: Born near, or at least, delivered to, an orphanage a mere twenty two years ago, this young man known primarily as 'Dark' to those he would risk calling his friends, and Sneeks Darkmun to almost all others, lives mostly on the streets from day to day and night to night, performing his 'work' with enough skill to know not to walk faster near authorities. Having grown up without parents, he quickly learned the importance of staying unnoticed in the overcrowded orphanage, a skill which he still practices within the rest of Arkham. When not on the streets, Johnathan Brightly usually takes up residence in one of several den's he built for his own use around town, occasionally referred to as 'Dark Spots' to himself in jest. When he finds himself near the local Church, he has reluctantly accepted food, drink, or even shelter from those who offer, even as he makes it a point to never voice avoidable questions. In recent months, he's noticed the standard signs of criminal trouble stirring, but something seems, off. Strange new styles of graffiti are appearing even in zones watched by the so far uncorrupted policemen, with some of the mystery painters even making these markings on the normally respected buildings, such as Churches and hospitals. Around this same time, the wandering madmen of Arkham have started becoming more prevalent, with some even following similar patterns in their ravings and preachings. Despite his 'never asked, never noticed' policy, he can't help but be curious as to these dark tidings and so recently has started trying to learn about the madmen's topics in the libraries, but is already tempted to stop trying, as his efforts are leading nowhere, even as he tells himself he can't stop learning to be safe yet. To top off the encouragement to stop looking, sometimes when he goes to an old 'Dark Spot,' he's found them ransacked, with that same strange graffiti on it's walls.

Picture: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co..._photo.jpg
Stats:
1) A balance of physical and mental leads to more food tomorrow.
2) Stealth, Adaptability, Intelligence, Willpower, Speed, Strength, Luck
06-13-2015, 02:07 AM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2015 02:08 AM by RatStar.)
Well here's my app. :P

Character Name: Anthony "Tony" Richards
Profession: Enforcer
Colour: red
Appearance: Tony is built like a brick outhouse, wide and tall with a shaved head covered with a flatcap other than that nothing about him really stands out
The Story So Far: Running with a gang in Arkham is about as profitable as it is dangerous, people are either smart enough to turn a blind eye and keep their mouth shut or they're crooked and have a good reason to keep it shut. Tony's crew were small time, running protection rackets and the like. Everything seemed peachy until the weirdos in the robes started popping up in their turf, most of the mob wrote them off as just another crew of upstarts looking to muscle in and scare off all competition, until they wiped out most of Tony's crew leaving a slew of grisly effigies in their wake, as penance Tony has vowed to cleanse them from the city.

[Image: 9vocgTe.jpg]
1) Which is more important: Physical health
2) List these traits in order of importance: Strength, Willpower, Adaptability, Luck, Speed, Intelligence, Stealth
06-14-2015, 01:58 AM (This post was last modified: 06-14-2015 11:46 AM by SenpaiBeast.)
Character Name: Ryan Silverstone
Profession: Explorer
Color: Yellow
Appearance: Ryan is a young and skinny gentleman. He is only about 5'5", and has Black hair. His eyes are a boring brown and his is somewhat tanned, him being an adventurer and all. He often wheres and outfit somewhat like Indiana Jones, whoever that is.
The Story So Far: Ryan, getting back from his latest expedition to Madagascar and walking home, overheard someone talking about a city called "Arkham". Eager to hear more, he walks a small bit closer to the two, and hears about rumors of "Gates leading to other worlds". While he was planning to rest at home for a few weeks, he decides to repack for the voyage and boards his plane.
Stats:
1) A balance
2) Willpower, Intelligence, Adaptability, Stealth, Strength, Speed, Luck.
06-14-2015, 02:03 AM
Recomend you don't use white. its kinda unreadable man.
06-14-2015, 03:21 AM
Yeah white actually doesn't work out too terribly for my purposes, but since the standard is to type in your character's colour it could be problematic. Unfortunately I don't think we have highlighting available, which would solve the problem too.

Also, do you mean that Ryan has his own plane? It's the mid-20s, so commercial airliners aren't exactly common. I'd recommend a train or steamer if you're hoping for regular transportation over land or sea respectively.
06-14-2015, 04:08 AM
(06-14-2015 03:21 AM)Palamedes Wrote:  Yeah white actually doesn't work out too terribly for my purposes, but since the standard is to type in your character's colour it could be problematic. Unfortunately I don't think we have highlighting available, which would solve the problem too.

Also, do you mean that Ryan has his own plane? It's the mid-20s, so commercial airliners aren't exactly common. I'd recommend a train or steamer if you're hoping for regular transportation over land or sea respectively.

Palamedes, on the topic of problems in apps, if there is anything in my app that would be counted as a negative mark against it, would you be ever so kind as to point in a better direction, perhaps?
06-14-2015, 04:29 AM
Of course! Honestly, because I've worked to make the system more freeform there's a lot less that would typically be problematic for a signup. Your character has nothing that I can see as being wildly anachronistic, and has enough details and unique things that have fleshed him out and make him different from the other applications. Was there anything specific you were worried about? I don't mind going into details for anyone's apps, be it to make sure a specific part is okay or if you want to add something that you think might be too much.

Currently the only major problem I could see is certain apps' colours being a little too similar but it turns out to be a problem at gamestart it should be easily remedied. And Gallo's app not being finished of course, but again he still has several days and I don't see him having a problem fixing that.
06-14-2015, 04:58 AM
(06-14-2015 04:29 AM)Palamedes Wrote:  Of course! Honestly, because I've worked to make the system more freeform there's a lot less that would typically be problematic for a signup. Your character has nothing that I can see as being wildly anachronistic, and has enough details and unique things that have fleshed him out and make him different from the other applications. Was there anything specific you were worried about? I don't mind going into details for anyone's apps, be it to make sure a specific part is okay or if you want to add something that you think might be too much.

Currently the only major problem I could see is certain apps' colours being a little too similar but it turns out to be a problem at gamestart it should be easily remedied. And Gallo's app not being finished of course, but again he still has several days and I don't see him having a problem fixing that.

Well, in particular the 'Dark Spots,' secret areas of stashed supplies, could be considered out of place, unless perhaps you work them in as a special character ability? ((I should note, though this effect may be so trivial as to be not included in the mechanics, that the ability to make places like 'Dark Spots' is dependent upon the ability to notice normally unnoticed places.))
06-14-2015, 05:34 AM
Mm, yeah that did stump me briefly, but yes - if we were running this as a more typical version of Arkham Horror I'd have it be a special ability of your character's. If you guys would like, I can release the official character sheets I'm putting together, but do note that they'll only sort of represent how your characters work due to the changes I'm making to keep the game less turn-based/slow.
06-14-2015, 05:53 AM
(06-14-2015 05:34 AM)Palamedes Wrote:  Mm, yeah that did stump me briefly, but yes - if we were running this as a more typical version of Arkham Horror I'd have it be a special ability of your character's. If you guys would like, I can release the official character sheets I'm putting together, but do note that they'll only sort of represent how your characters work due to the changes I'm making to keep the game less turn-based/slow.

Well, if you would prefer I change him, just let me know. Also, I wouldn't mind a sneak preview at that Character Sheets. [Free Stuff! Bawk! Free Stuff!]
06-14-2015, 06:23 AM
Likewise, is my character acceptable? ;-;

It is time time
06-14-2015, 07:22 AM
Name: Candice Cave

Profession: Dog fancier.

Color: In the memory of Red!

Appearance: A young lady with curly black hair and concerned-looking eyes. She has painstakingly coordinated her outfit because she figured she might encounter something horrible tonight and die but at least she'll look good while doing so.

The Story So Far: Candice Cave, amateur mathematician, fancier of dogs. When she didn't worked on her incredibly droll thesis in Miskatonic, she focused all her attention on her greatest and most favorite hobby, dogs - training dogs, preparing nutritious meals for dogs, and of course, spending time with her canine companion, the ever-loyal Red.

The thought of cosmic horror never crossed her mind, but life had a way with those kind of things. While she was milling in a convention center filled with her fellow dog fanciers, smoke started to pour out of table corners and edges of kibble bags, and...things emerged and started to hunt. Candice Cave would been one of their quarry, if it were not for Red. Whose lifeless body now laid at her heels.

Now she's here, wanting some clues and hoping for some answers. Candice Cave was not one for retribution, but she truly wishes she could find whoever did this, and make them pay. Especially for what they had done to her friends. What they had done to her hobby. And what they had done to Red.

Stats 1: Mental health.
Stats 2: Adaptability, Luck, Willpower, Speed, Intelligence, Stealth, Strength
06-14-2015, 07:29 AM
I too will add my voice to the chorus asking whether my character is good and for these "character sheets" you speak of.

06-14-2015, 07:43 AM
(06-14-2015 07:29 AM)Vancho1 Wrote:  I too will add my voice to the chorus asking whether my character is good and for these "character sheets" you speak of.

Tell us, tell us, tell us! For we are one, we are legion, and

06-14-2015, 11:41 AM (This post was last modified: 06-14-2015 11:46 AM by SenpaiBeast.)
I am now editing my post accordingly.
06-15-2015, 06:44 AM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2015 06:44 AM by Palamedes.)
Alright let's do this.

(06-10-2015 01:56 PM)Sotek Wrote:  Character Name: Doctor Archibald Montgomery, Ph. D.

Pretty good, always fun to have characters who come in blind. Would like, if possible, a bit more personal details about Archie (can I call him Archie?) as well as any notable things he might have done in his career thus far.

(06-11-2015 03:25 AM)Bramzter Wrote:  Character Name: Reverend Hank Peters

Feels like a character right out of the original game, no complaints.

(06-12-2015 07:28 AM)Vancho1 Wrote:  Character Name: Herr Heinrich von Klotz

Lots of interesting stuff here, closest thing to a complaint would be that I have to make up a brand new location, but given the rigidness of Arkham Horror I was planning on doing that already.

(06-12-2015 09:37 AM)Galloglasses Wrote:  Character Name: Ruarc FitzGerald

Unfinished bio.

(06-12-2015 06:51 PM)ProfessorLizzard Wrote:  Character Name: Eduard O'Rylley

Initially I was worried about his codex and artifact collection, but I believe you've said/implied that the former is mostly useless in the Americas and the latter was mostly left behind or traded off. If that's true, I have no problems.

(06-12-2015 08:37 PM)Timetech Wrote:  Character Name: Johnathan 'Dark' Brightly A.K.A. Sneeks Darkmun

We've already talked, I have no issues.

(06-13-2015 02:07 AM)RatStar Wrote:  Character Name: Anthony "Tony" Richards

Short and simple, but contains more than enough detail. No problems.

(06-14-2015 01:58 AM)SenpaiBeast Wrote:  Character Name: Ryan Silverstone

A good start, but right now Ryan is basically just Indiana Jones. I'd like to see something that makes him stand out on his own a little.

(06-14-2015 07:22 AM)Acolyte Doctor Wrote:  Name: Candice Cave

I have no issues here either, nice to see a female character stopping this from becoming a sausage fest.

Planning on releasing the character cards when the game starts or as they're finished (being a dork, I will probably make one for every applicant regardless of whether or not they get in right away in case there are drop outs).
06-15-2015, 06:48 AM
Quote:Initially I was worried about his codex and artifact collection, but I believe you've said/implied that the former is mostly useless in the Americas and the latter was mostly left behind or traded off. If that's true, I have no problems.

Yeah, he basically has nothing useful left at all.

It is time time
06-15-2015, 07:08 AM
Character Name: Donny Kollum

Profession: Farmer

Color: Good ol' brown.

Appearance: A strong young boy of 18, Donny is decently built, though not overly muscled, and stands at an even six feet. He has tanned skin and a mop of short, messy black hair.

The Story So Far: Donny was a normal farmin' boy. He tended to the pigs, milked the cows, helped with the crops, and drew up water from the well when it was needed. The well. That's where it all started. Donny drew up somethin' strange one day. Somethin' that you ain't really think you ever gonna see on a farm. A glinting golden crown with jewels he couldn't even name. Donny had admired it for a bit, placing it on his head and admiring his reflection in the water. He knew it was probably fake, just a toy some kid had thrown away, so it was quickly just tossed into the grass, Donny not really thinking about it. He'd come back for it later. Maybe.

The next morning, Donny woke up with a cold, hard, uncomfortable thing on his head. He sat up, rubbing his eyes, and removed the thing on his head. Donny found himself staring at the crown from yesterday. He quickly determined that that just ain't right. Crowns don't just appear on people's heads. Especially not ones drawn up from wells. He quickly revealed its presence to his mother, who recommended he visit town to sell it. Somewhat doubtful, Donny made his way out to the nearby city, trying to sell the crown to whoever would take it. It was soon exchanged for petty cash, the person he sold it to thinking they just got a steal, and Donny headed back home, glad that the whole weirdness was over.

The crown was on his head in the morning, but the money was still in his pocket. So it wasn't a dream. The thing wouldn't go away. Over the course of the next week, Donny tried all sorts of methods to get rid of this strange crown. He tossed it in the river and back down the well, buried it in the pigpen, left it out in the forest after he tied it to a tree, and even tried to break the thing with a shovel. No matter what happened, the crown returned to his head the following morning, unharmed.

Starting to get concerned, Donny told his ma he was going to the city again to scope out some potential buyers for this year's crop. He didn't think he'd be gone for too long, so he figured the lie was necessary. Thus, Donny made his way to Arkham to see if anybody knew anything about weirdo crowns that wouldn't go away.

Stats: 1) Well gee... suppose physical health would more important on the farm... right?

2) Luck, Adaptability, Speed, Strength, Willpower, Intelligence, Stealth

Oh my god I finally finished this
06-15-2015, 08:54 AM
Character Name: Alice Clubbs

Profession: Police Officer

Color: Dark Blue

Appearance: Pale skin, black hair, cold blue eyes. She keeps her person very well-maintained and her uniform is always impeccable. She usually wears an expression of stoic seriousness.

The Story So Far: The first female officer of the APD, Alice is the daughter of a well-known and respected officer of the force. Five years ago, however, her father disappeared. Afterwards, Alice, wanting to carry on his legacy, petitioned the city to allow her to join the police department. Eventually they acquiesced, but Alice, expecting to work the beat as same as her father did, was disappointed to find herself put on duty supervising upper class social functions and responding to non-emergency calls made by various women of the city. She still wants to figure out what happened to her father, but APD seems set on keeping her away from any cases that are actually important, and there's little she can do to push back against them...

Stats: Alice's father taught her that a police officer should be balanced in both physical health and a sound mind. She follows his advice.

Traits: Adaptability, Intelligence, Speed, Stealth, Willpower, Strength, and Luck.
06-15-2015, 12:22 PM
Kocel, perhaps Alice wasn't deemed fit for active and dangerous service because of her abysmal core strength.

But seriously, both of those look great, I have no issues.
06-15-2015, 12:54 PM
Hey man, I was having to figure out what traits were more cop-like. Gimme a break. :P
06-15-2015, 02:02 PM
Nah, her abysmal core strength is because she's a dame. -2 STR +1 WIS
06-16-2015, 06:33 AM
Now imagining Tony wearing a fedora.
06-16-2015, 06:40 AM
M'lady
06-16-2015, 07:16 AM
That would actually be either a super useful or useless trait, since Wisdom was not a listed stat. Is it because it's not part of the game, or is it because every character will be about as wise as a particularly ignorant rock?
06-16-2015, 07:54 AM (This post was last modified: 06-17-2015 03:09 AM by Timetech.)
(06-16-2015 07:16 AM)Palamedes Wrote:  That would actually be either a super useful or useless trait, since Wisdom was not a listed stat. Is it because it's not part of the game, or is it because every character will be about as wise as a particularly ignorant rock?

The true 'wisdom' of a character is reliant upon the wisdom of it's player minus any wisdom filtered out through roleplaying. Of course, wisdom, not 'wisdom,' can be used as a stat by which to measure certain successes and failures. Basically, everyone else's characters will be super wise, and mine will always be particularly ignorant rocks no matter what I try to do. :p
06-16-2015, 12:49 PM
(06-16-2015 06:33 AM)Kocel Wrote:  Now imagining Tony wearing a fedora.

Only if he's got a Tommy gun too.
06-19-2015, 07:52 AM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2015 07:58 AM by Palamedes.)
Soon.

[Image: Soon.png]

Just a little hype as I begin getting everything set up. Like the sheets which I've almost finished and will post tomorrow, this doesn't mean you're definitely in (at least not right away, I foresee character death opening up more than enough slots). Do let me know if they more or less match what you were hoping for appearance wise though.

Open signups will almost definitely close tomorrow, but a few people have privately expressed interest and I'll probably give them until Sunday to follow through.
06-19-2015, 04:08 PM
the hypest hype.
06-19-2015, 04:11 PM
This is what it will be like, I bet.

[Image: tumblr_inline_n91yhqlgfr1r6os8r.gif]
06-21-2015, 02:22 PM
As promised, here are the character sheets as they would exist in the actual Arkham Horror game. I did my best to take into account the stats you chose for this (do note that focus and lore were replaced by adaptability and intelligence respectively to better fit into the faster, rp-paced forum setting so they don't match perfectly) as well as your backstories, especially for the specials and equipment. Obviously they're not perfect since they're mostly meant as bases for the setup I have here, but I hope I got things mostly right (and please let me know if you have any problems).

Also sorry if the pictures aren't what you hoped for, I did a quick search based on what features I was given since I figured these weren't actually going to be a part in the game/you'd rather have something closeish as opposed to the balding professor type/crazy hat lady that were the default options.

06-21-2015, 06:04 PM
Pala gave me permission to post this late.

Character Name: Dr. Giovanni "Johnny Wildfire" Tariano
Profession: Tariano crime family Caporegime
Color: Orange like FIRE!
Appearance: Crazy red hair, thin face, a long beard, slightly curled mustache, and a muscular build. He carries a broadsword, as well as a pistol. Roughly six feet tall. Wears
The Story So Far: Born in 1899 to Francesco Tariano and his wife, Carla, Wildfire inherited a boatload of psychological issues from his mother's side. These manifested in his early years, when he constantly got into fights, played risky games, broke into a lion's cage in a wild attempt to ride it at the age of nine, invented car jousting at the age of thirteen, and attempted to jump a canyon with a parachute strapped to his back at fourteen (he was saved when the parachute caught itself on a tree going down). Afraid that his son would kill himself, Francesco had him put on a variety of wild and experimental drugs to suppress this behavior. This led to Wildfire successfully completing his education, though he seemed somewhat robotic at times. He even managed to go to university, and ironically gain a doctorate in psychology.

He stopped taking the medication shortly after graduation in a psychotic nervous breakdown, and ended up working for his father's organization, becoming a wildly successful enforcer and soldier. During this time, he also picked up cocaine and drinking habits.

For some unexplainable reason, he was named capo of his crew when the former caporegime was taken in a bust by an Irish police officer with a Scottish accent. He is now visiting Arkham because it seems like a fantastic place to bury bodies.

Health: Physical health, as Wildfire is constantly batshit anyway.

Traits: Adaptability, Speed, Strength, Willpower, Luck, Intelligence, Stealth.
06-22-2015, 12:40 AM
(06-21-2015 06:04 PM)Cidellus Wrote:  Appearance: Crazy red hair, thin face, a long beard, slightly curled mustache, and a muscular build. He carries a broadsword, as well as a pistol. Roughly six feet tall. Wears

Excellent, our token nudist.

Look forward to game start either tonight or tomorrow!
06-22-2015, 12:46 AM
(06-22-2015 12:40 AM)Palamedes Wrote:  Excellent, our token nudist.

Look forward to game start either tonight or tomorrow!

Well he is a low sanity character with a background of mental illness...
06-23-2015, 02:29 AM
Heinrich's face-picture is perfect. The bearded face, the hat, everything.

06-23-2015, 06:11 AM
100% Perfect.

It is time time
06-23-2015, 02:57 PM
RE: Arkham - Day One
[Image: title.png]

Day One: Strangers

[Image: Candice.png]

After what felt like hours had passed, Candice ran out of the building that was hosting the convention. Through some feat of strength she carried Red's lifeless corpse, despite knowing nothing could be done to change that - she couldn't very well leave him in that awful place. It was late, and most of the buildings were shut to her and her plight. Five full minutes passed before she found one open, and she was already through the door before she realized that it was the city's infamous Asylum. Covered in blood and carrying her dead pet, she more than surprised the few staff who remained as they prepared to either start or finish their shift. All four stared at her in shock, before a nurse quickly snapped straight and turned to the others.

"For Christ's sake, help her! Jefferson, call the police. I'll go fetch Doctor Carlton!"

As she runs down the hallway, the other three workers slowly snap out of it and move to help Candice out, asking if there's anything they can do.

[Image: Eddon.png]

Eduard shifts uncomfortably under the gaze of the cheerful man sitting opposite him. In the brief time he had known the man, Carl Sanford had remained closed off and completely unavailable - all Eduard knew was from reputation and word of his followers. That all changed earlier that day, when he had tried to exchange some of his knowledge and trinkets with a member of Sanford's group. Suddenly, less than twenty minutes ago he received a message from his room at the Grand Cross telling him to meet the master of the Silver Twilight Lodge - Arkham's foremost secret society- in person, at Ma's Boarding House.

"So good to finally meet you, Mister O'Rylley." Sanford grins as he puts out his cigarette in a nearby ashtray. "I've heard you asking around about us, looking for admission. I'll admit, most people thought that you were just another fake looking for something to help your sales, but then I heard about what you had. Did you bring them?"

Eduard had been instructed by the two acolytes that met him at the Cross to bring his artifacts, immediately dismissing (quite accurately) all of them except for the three legitimate ones he still had. A tablet with arcane knowledge scrawled into it, capable of revealing ancient secrets galore, a stone capable of mending even the most serious of injuries, mental or physical, simply by holding it, and a simple knife with a five pointed star on it - an Elder sign - which could protect against and seal most any evil. Of course, unbeknownst to Sanford or his followers, Eduard also kept a small bottle in his coat. Nothing that Sanford would want, of course, but he certainly wasn't a careless man, and the explosive concoction inside of it would hopefully dissuade Sanford from trying to rip him off.

"I'd be more than willing to let you into our little society, but as you must know we get dozen of applicants a month. You'd need to prove your loyalty to the Lodge by donating one of your treasures to our efforts."

It was the exact chance Eduard had been looking for, the only question now was which treasure should he part with?

Meanwhile, Donny saunters up to the check-in desk at the boarding house and picks up his key. The boarding house was the cheapest place in town, but it still set him back most of his savings. That said, what was the price on finally getting rid of the crown that's hounding him? Plus, his uncle had loaned him the beat up motorcycle he owned to get here, so transportation wasn't a problem - and the holy water he received from his priest, trustworthy knife, and the axe he 'borrowed' from his dad made him sure that he wouldn't be wanting for protection either.

All that was left was to begin hunting for the secrets he's heard are hiding in Arkham.

[Image: John.png]

Dark poured over what must have been the thousandth dusty book in Miskatonic University's Library in hopes of finding something hinting towards what's going on in the city. So far his luck hadn't panned out. He had, in the past week or so, learned a bit about what was going on, including the apparent existence of incantations that would provide those who know them with aid. So far though, it still remained mostly useless, and even though the gains he had made recently were more than in the last month it still wasn't nearly enough.

As he sighs and puts the book back, frustrated with another wasted day, he accidentally knocks an old, rotting text - no more than a few pages. On the cover is the picture of a man standing with his arms open as swords break against him. Picking it up, he felt a strange sense of unease, yet security in holding it. More than he got from his Derringer, anyways.

[Image: Heinrich.png]

Heinrich waits as the few remaining passengers disembark the S.S. Présage, the French steamship that Hans was set to arrive on. Just as Heinrich might start to feel nervous about his friend, he hears a shout from the ship's deck.

"Ah, Heinrich!"

Hans stood above him, waving and smiling. However, Heinrich was certain that despite his old friend's demeanour, he was clearly uncomfortable about something. As he wonders what it could be, Hans exits the ship and walks over to him, with nothing but the clothes on his back and a stuffed briefcase. He made for a rather suspicious sight, though Heinrich supposed he had no right to judge. What Hans had already told him had made him afraid, and his friend's nervous expression as he approached only worsened the feeling. He reached into the dark coat he had bought recently and fingered a set of brass knuckles, hoping that it wouldn't come to what he had purchased them for.

"How long has it been, my friend," Hans asks, trying to use small talk to hide his unease. "How are things in America?"

[Image: Hank.png]

Reverend Peters had just finished locking everything away for the night. Reverend Michael, a fellow priest, had agreed to take care of his duties at the church for the next while, under the pretense that Hank needed the time off for his health. However, he had no intention of actually taking a break. He had heard from the faithful in his last few masses about more and more mysterious activity such as the graffiti at the church plaguing the streets of Arkham, and he'd find out why.

He grasped his crucifix one last time before preparing to exit the church, hoping that the Lord might offer some answers - and protection. He also kept hold of an old text he had found in the church's archives while investigating, talking of old evils that had plagued the patron saint of the church, Stanislaus, and how he fought and drove them out, as well as an old lamp that the book mentioned he had used to do so. While the church had long ago decried the tale and relic as false, Hank noticed similarities between Stanislaus' threat and the omens that were happening throughout the city, and figured the tale and lamp must have been kept for a reason.

[Image: Archie.png]

"And here you are Mister Montgomery," smiles Janice, an administrator, as she hands Archibald the keys to his office. "Sorry, Doctor Montgomery. There's not many proper doctors here, and the rest of them are so old." She laughs. "Anyways, it's just in the next building over. You're lucky, it's one of the better offices. Wouldn't have even been available if Professor Cullen hadn't requested a move to the Science Building. Insisted that his work needed to be done there. No idea why he'd need a lab for Archeology."

As she talks, Archibald can see two police officers walking down the hallway towards the office. If he doesn't want to get caught up in whatever they're here for, he should probably get going to his office and unpack.

[Image: Tony.png]

Tony was sitting down at the bar next to Joey Vigil, "the Rat", and the only other major member of their gang to have survived.

"Hell of a day, eh Tony?" Joey gives a sarcastic laugh and checks the door for the fourth time since Tony walked in. Thankfully Velma's had been pretty quiet so that night, with only a couple of regulars showing up for the late night special.

"Anyways, so I'm thinking I'm through with organized crime, you know? At least I'm done here. Gonna move out west where I hear gangs don't just randomly get nailed to ceilings or cut into a million pieces. I know you want your revenge, and good luck, but I don't think I'm cut out for it. I'll be around for a couple weeks though, getting my business sorted - let me know if you need anything. I'll be over at the Roadhouse, like always."

As Joey speaks, Tony gives his gear a quick, discreet check. He had his trusty revolver, though he was running low on ammo with only four extra bullets to reload with. He also managed to pick up Boss Victor's journal off of what remained of his corpse. He hadn't had much time to go through it, but did make notice of a book that "Fingers" O'Brian grabbed on his orders after a few run ins with the newer gangs - which O'Brian did manage to grab and stash at the bosses' apartment right before he was found sans a skeleton at Independence Square. Thankfully Tony managed to grab it just before the cops came to tear the place up after Victor's death, but he could make even less out of it than the journal. It was the best start he'd get though.

"Oh right," Joey turns towards Tony for the first time since they started talking. "I've got a guy who says that courier we've used managed to survive as well, and has been asking the same kinds of questions you're looking into now. Might want to find him before he gets offed like the rest."

[Image: Alice.png]

"Hey Alice!" Alice gets up from her desk and rushes to Sheriff Engle before he can even get past the jailing area. He only ever called her up when he had something for her to do, and she sure as hell was tired of sitting at her desk for another night with nothing to do.

"Eager eh?" The sheriff chuckles, before handing her a folder. "Need you to go and do a job. A bunch of people got mauled by a bear or something downtown. No idea how it got there, but it didn't leave a whole lot of survivors or witnesses. Now, I wouldn't send you on such a dangerous job, but Krantz and Stern are off dealing with some commotion at the train station, Forde took Chase to look into some professor's murder, and deputy took most everyone else to look into who offed the Vincent Paulson and his fellow lowlifes. That leaves me with you and Brians, who I need to hang back to help run things and in case another major crime comes up. Think you can handle it?"

Alice either didn't notice the jab at the end or didn't care, instead opting to get ready and get out of the station as soon as possible. After checking the details of the case she grabbed a lantern and rifle from the armoury, passing by Engle and Brians chatting by the door.

The two glance over at her. "You really need a gun that big," asked Engle with a grin.

"Well," remarked Brians, "might be a bear, right?"

Engle pauses, then nods. "Good call Clubbs. Just make sure you give us a call if you run into it and we'll get someone over there to take care of it."

[Image: Giovanni.png]

Giovanni stretches as the train pulls away from the station. It hadn't been a long trip, but it had been a boring one, with little to do but watch the scenery pass by and scare people who looked too hard at or asked dumb questions about his sword or blatant disregard for prohibition.

As he opened up his lucky cigarette case for a smoke, he could see three weirdos approaching another one of the idling passengers, some old coot who was sitting a few rows down from him on his car. He couldn't quite hear what was going on, but it seemed pretty clear that the robed guys were intent on causing some problems.

Suddenly, the old man tried to make a move, running towards Giovanni (for some reason) only to be cut off by the goons again.

"Please, help me," the old man shouted, and the others turned towards Giovanni.

One of them quickly sneers. "What, you hire a valet doctor? Carrying around your luggage and a fancy sword?" He then turns back towards Giovanni. "You with him, or are you going to be smart and just back away?

[Image: Ryan.png]

Ryan didn't remember much of the last few hours. He did remember flying towards Arkham, hoping to land at an airfield just north of town, when something caught his wing. He wasn't sure exactly what it was, but judging by the fact that a wing was almost immediately torn off he was pretty sure it wasn't just a bird. After that, he remembers crashing in the forest and... waking up here. St. Mary's Hospital apparently. Some doctor was going on about how he was lucky to be alive, how someone saw an explosion and upon looking into it found him staggering out of the wreck with his bag, half unconcious and losing a lot of blood.

They've patched him up, but his rescuer was nowhere to be found after dropping him off and most of his possessions were destroyed. All he had left in Arkham was some mysterious powder he had picked up on his travels (that, supposedly good at dispelling magic and magical beings, he thought might be useful) and what was left of his hospital meal. A journal too, but Ryan noticed quickly that it definitely wasn't his, and had a note on a bookmark inside:

If you are truly here to investigate what is going on in Arkham, you'll need this

So I was originally only planning on taking 8 or so characters, but since I have 11 (finished) apps I figured it would be shitty to turn away just three people, especially considering that adding them wouldn't make things much more difficult on my end anyways. So, congratulations everyone!

That said, one of RatStar or Pharmacy should pick a new colour, unless nobody minds them both being red.

I've added a map to the OP of all of the major locations in Arkham, others will be added if they come into play.
06-23-2015, 06:21 PM (This post was last modified: 06-23-2015 06:24 PM by Acolyte Doctor.)
Candice shall be burgundy, one of her favorite drinks!

Candice really wanted to believe she had a fantastic time at the dog festival and everything had happened was clearly a result of her bad reaction to second-rate gin. Unfortunately, the clarity of what happened couple hours before was too vivid to shrug off as a garbled hallucination. The corpse of her companion laid heavy on her hands along with her festering urgency for justice. It was late. It was not a very good night for Candice Cave.

"A-ah, thank you," Candice Cave said. "I would like a glass of water...and perhaps, a chair to sit on. God, I hope I am not only visitor around this time..."
06-23-2015, 07:39 PM
Alice nods to Engle in response before leaving to respond to the call.

A bear wasn't exactly the most exciting thing to get a call for, but if this thing had done as much damage as the Sheriff said, this might be just the thing to get her taken more seriously around here. And once they took her more seriously, maybe she could look into what happened to her old man.
06-23-2015, 08:00 PM (This post was last modified: 06-23-2015 08:00 PM by Cidellus.)
On one hand, he was unsure of this man's history with the three men, his motives, or their motives.

On the other hand, that train trip had been reaaaaaally boring!

On the other OTHER hand, his father had always told him "Son, if accosted by three men on the street, wait for them to make a move first before turning it into a slaughter. That way it's self defense!"

Wildfire looked at the three men, sizing them up.

"Well, you see. You've all made a problem for yourselves! Because I totally wasn't with him til you called me a valet. Now I'm a problem."

Wildfire was fully-prepared for them trying to sucker-punch or sucker-kick him.
06-23-2015, 08:50 PM
(06-23-2015 02:57 PM)Palamedes Wrote:  
[Image: John.png]

Dark poured over what must have been the thousandth dusty book in Miskatonic University's Library in hopes of finding something hinting towards what's going on in the city. So far his luck hadn't panned out. He had, in the past week or so, learned a bit about what was going on, including the apparent existence of incantations that would provide those who know them with aid. So far though, it still remained mostly useless, and even though the gains he had made recently were more than in the last month it still wasn't nearly enough.

As he sighs and puts the book back, frustrated with another wasted day, he accidentally knocks an old, rotting text - no more than a few pages. On the cover is the picture of a man standing with his arms open as swords break against him. Picking it up, he felt a strange sense of unease, yet security in holding it. More than he got from his Derringer, anyways.

["Hmm, let's see if this thing has a library sticker. Its so old it might not be using the same system anymore . . .."]

((If the tags match, Dark will give the strange book a go at some back-corner desk. Instinctively making sure that while carrying it, the front cover is casually pointed towards him, so as to provoke the least suspicion.))
06-23-2015, 09:30 PM
Are you sure Pharmacy? I don't mind being Burgundy or a different colour

Tony thumbs through Victors journal reading it while listening to Joey.
"Sounds like a smart move Joey, I don't blame you for not sticking around. A couple of weeks? I wouldn't chance it if I were you, not after a near miss like that. Better to skip town while you've got the Devils luck than to hang around and let him catch you with your pants down. Y'know?"
He had Vic's Journal, it would have some answers and point him in the right direction at least. He'd have to visit the University and get one of their eggheads to give that other book a look over, hell maybe Vics Journal had the name of one that owed Vic a favour but that could wait, for now he'd have to find that courier.

"Did your guy tell you the couriers name? Or where to find him?" he asks Joey while trying to remember any addresses or phone numbers for couriers they would have used recently.
06-23-2015, 10:26 PM (This post was last modified: 06-23-2015 10:29 PM by Bramzter.)
Hank looked around the church hall finding comfort in the silence and the soft taps of the rain on the windows. He had just finished up locking up everything nice and securely as was necessary in the recent events.. He decided he would make one round along the church exterior before retiring into the living area for the night.

He wasn't sure what to make of the rumors he heard, nor of the strange resemblance to the tale of Saint Stanislaus, He was certain this wasn't merely the work of some misguided street-gang.

Atleast the Church hasn't been hit by those vandals yet.. although that would give him answers. Pondering this he unlocked the front door and stepped outside to do his rounds locking it behind him again and stashing the key in his pocket.

Something was soothing about the rainy nights of Arkham, it was a nice contrast to the sweltering heat and humidity of darkest Africa, He would cherish and protect those memories till his grave..

Appropriate Musical Accompaniment

06-24-2015, 12:51 AM
"Thank y' kindly, sir!" Donny flashed the receptionist a grin, stuffing the key into pocket. City folk were pretty nice! Donny loved to visit the city. Course... it was no countryside, so he kinda wished to hurry up with this crown business so he could get back to the farm. City life kinda felt... constricting. He scratched the back of his head and turned back to the receptionist.

"So um... sorry fer botherin' ya again. Yer awful nice, see, but I was wonderin' some if ya knew a place where people know stuff 'bout uh..." Donny glanced around, eyes narrowing and darting around, before he leaned in close and lowered his voice. "...Y'know... ghosts. And uh... ghost things."