Campfire (Off-Topic Chat)
06-17-2015, 10:35 AM (This post was last modified: 06-17-2015 10:38 AM by amosmyn.)
Campfire (Off-Topic Chat)
For those of you who like to be nice and cozy in the Mafia Subforum...

[Image: stock-footage-campfire-camp-fire-summer-...mpfire.jpg]

Campfire Thread

For conversation with SubCommunity Goers about whatever.
As usual, don't speak about ongoing games.
06-17-2015, 10:51 AM
RE: Campfire (Off-Topic Chat)
Pull up a chair by the hearth :P

[Image: sonicsig2.jpg]
Steam
06-17-2015, 11:32 AM
So how about that City Slickers Mafia, huh? I reckon- *ded*

WHOA CHECK OUT ALL THESE MAFIA GAMES GUYS
(06-06-2016 06:12 AM)Coldblooded Wrote:  if there was ever a scumteam to overthink things and make a huge dramatic production out of day one, DC and Granola would probably be it.
06-17-2015, 12:00 PM
What is the diff between this thread and GenChat exactly? Apart from this being "off-topic", which... what would the topic for GenChat even be? Is this supposed to be for non-mafia related discussion in the mafia subforum or something?

The one, the only, Vancho!
06-17-2015, 12:05 PM
people wanted to chat during night phases i guess
anyways, HOW ABOUT THOSE VIDEO GAMES
06-17-2015, 12:21 PM (This post was last modified: 06-17-2015 12:24 PM by amosmyn.)
I think Im just going to find a way to merge the old General Chat with the Discussion topic. With the popularity of the campfire thing I thought itd be more fitting to just make an off topic only chat.
I mean if you look at CPIs OP in the General chat topic its mostly there for game publicity and asking a few opinions. When the discussion topic was active it was great for that sort of thing.

I think the one thing the off topic thread here might have relevant to the subforum is upcoming game promotions.

All for opinions on the matter. Personally I think this rebranding of the chats is just going to make things friendlier here.

@donut Just bought Nidhogg and holy shit its fun. cant wait to play with my roommates or something on the tv. :)
Ill be on steam over the next few hours if anyone wants to game.

Also I recently bought a 2ds. friend code is in the General chat subforum, send me a pm if you wanna add me. :)
06-17-2015, 01:44 PM (This post was last modified: 06-17-2015 01:55 PM by phantomEclipse.)
We need to play Smash 4 on 3DS, as a general ask to everyone. Because I am freakin amazing at Smash 4*

Nidhogg

*these statistics have not been tested against many, but have been proven thus far

Ill go throw up an introduction page with all my crap i guess for easy access.

Anyways, I just got Hearthstone, as well as Fallout Shelter on my iPhone since i just got it back after 5 months of not having it (long story) and I need to know if any other free games are worth downloading. Also, I need recommendations for 3ds games since i havent bought any since Smash 4. and have just been playing Magical Starsign for awhile now (great game, look it up).

So how about them Texas rainstorms eh?

-----------------
Edit: It is done, I have junctioned the introductioned

It's time to, T-T-T-T-T-T TRIPLE POST
06-17-2015, 01:58 PM
I love Smash 4, but I don't have a system to play it on. I play at my friends' houses, and my mains are Toon Link and Dedede. New Lucas is pretty amazing too.
06-17-2015, 02:06 PM
(06-17-2015 01:58 PM)speedchuck Wrote:  I love Smash 4, but I don't have a system to play it on. I play at my friends' houses, and my mains are Toon Link and Dedede. New Lucas is pretty amazing too.

You're one of /THOSE/ people

[Image: tumblr_inline_nh9r8p8D2H1r1pvmm.png]

06-17-2015, 02:07 PM
And proud of it.
06-17-2015, 02:30 PM
I am a Sonic main in Smash 4 and proud of it.

I am also feared for my uncanny ability to always land nines as Game and Watch. Fear me and my infinite luck.

and now, hunger does what sorrow could never do
website | @tehpilot
06-17-2015, 02:44 PM
Even though she's more or less a clone I've found that I am pretty good with Lucina
06-17-2015, 03:27 PM (This post was last modified: 06-17-2015 03:30 PM by amosmyn.)
I usually play Duck Hunt, Wario, Shiek and Yoshi. Mostly Duck Hunt tho?

E: Just added pE on my 2ds
06-17-2015, 03:29 PM
Ooh, smash 4? I've been playing a lot of Luigi/Mega Man recently...still need to grab Lucas (who I played a lot in Brawl)

What are people's opinions on customs?

(06-06-2016 06:12 AM)Coldblooded Wrote:  if there was ever a scumteam to overthink things and make a huge dramatic production out of day one, DC and Granola would probably be it.
06-17-2015, 04:05 PM
Too much of a hassle to get all the equipment for.
06-17-2015, 04:25 PM
I'm a Capcom mainer - maining Megaman, will main Ryu in addition, will throw both of them into pocket status to main Phoenix Wright if by some chance all my dreams come true and he makes it in.

I also have a mean pocket Ganondorf - not the meanest, but he services.

Bayonetta in Smash or riot

[Image: g4osirL.jpg]
06-17-2015, 04:47 PM
Well I kind of meant the non-equipment version (i.e. just custom moves, none of the weird stat buffing stuff). Unless you meant THAT'S too hard to get stuff for, in which case I can't really disagree :v (Smash Run is relatively fun though)

06-17-2015, 05:48 PM
I think once I have all the custom moves I might care more for the customs but yeah.

Also controls on a 2ds are so different from the gamecube. I used to be a melee guy and getting used to dodging with the 2ds controls is kinda annoying :P
06-17-2015, 06:32 PM
Why does every campfire thread always turn into the "Nintendo thread" so quickly? You guys are all a bunch of nerds.

Tumblr/Steam
06-17-2015, 06:44 PM
hey don't blame me I only just got here :v

Yeah I mostly only used the 3DS version for pre-Wii U and Smash Run (still highly disappointed in Smash Tour tbh :/)

06-17-2015, 08:15 PM (This post was last modified: 06-17-2015 08:16 PM by phantomEclipse.)
because there isnt anything else everyone congressionally enjoys, CB.

cause fuck any console game on a Xbox or PS4 pretty much (all there is is pretty much CoD, which is not that fun)

and PC games that someone may have, but it's about pricing and people's interests

Plus Nintendo has a place in everyone's heart, or at least people born in the 90's or around that time

Edit: Name a time and place, Amos, and ill fight you, and you too pilot and speed.

I am a Ganondorf and a Sonic main

06-18-2015, 12:27 AM
i would love smash if i had money for a 3ds
instead im saving up for p5
06-18-2015, 01:51 AM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2015 01:53 AM by Gatr.)
Yeah I also love smash. Mains are my boys Charizard and Bowser Jr. but I'm pretty versatile. Would be super-up for a game anytime.

(FC is 4596-9718-4212. 3ds. ill get wii u fc soon)

edit: Custom moves are excellent. Getting all of them for all characters is a pain, but it's relatively easy to get all for only one or two characters.

[Image: sig.gif]
06-18-2015, 03:05 AM
Pfft who mains? I just hit random and go back if it's one of the few characters I really hate, and then pray things go my way.

Which... might be why I'm not that great at Smash.

(06-17-2015 06:32 PM)Coldblooded Wrote:  Why does every campfire thread always turn into the "Nintendo thread" so quickly? You guys are all a bunch of nerds.

Come on Coldblooded let's talk about manly jock stuff instead to scare them off. Like... uh,

Sports?

Yeah man I sure do love all those sports that I sport. I usually get in at least twelve a day, if not more. I bet these nerds couldn't even do that much in a week.
06-18-2015, 03:25 AM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2015 03:31 AM by amosmyn.)
Im trying to practice enough with the characters I do know before learning the others. I was wavedashing back on melee but with the change of game version theres a lot I need to catch up on.
Which is to say Im not as good as I used to be and it feels weird not being at the front of the pack among my friends :P

mmmm pE if you can game at 2pm EST today ill be up for it. Otherwise ill be a bit busy for a lil while.
Same goes for anyone else who posts their friend code.

I actually dont play a lot of nintendo games these days. I only ever owned four wii titles (excluding the homebrew channel for emulation). I actually only have three 3ds titles, one of which was bundled in and I dont expect to purchase any more unless a new Advance Wars title comes out.

That being said I have a nice collection of gamecube and SNES titles and I actually have quite a few 360 games. EDF2017, Spelunky/Meat Boy, Castlevania LoS, Blazblue, Killer is Dead, AC2 and Street Fighter 4 were among several i really enjoyed. Got a bunch of other good ones that I bought for super cheap (pawnshops after 5 years) but I dont play VGs enough usually to tap into most of em.

For convenience, friendcode is
2337-6486-9948
06-18-2015, 03:42 AM
phantomEclipse Wrote:because there isnt anything else everyone congressionally enjoys, CB.

Smash Bros is good and all, but I believe we could all bond over an in-house game of Dota 2.

website | @tehpilot
06-18-2015, 03:53 AM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2015 04:03 AM by amosmyn.)
(06-18-2015 03:42 AM)TehPilot Wrote:  
phantomEclipse Wrote:because there isnt anything else everyone congressionally enjoys, CB.

Smash Bros is good and all, but I believe we could all bond over an in-house game of Dota 2.

Or TF2?

But to appease our cold blooded friend..

movies! I just watched Psycho two days ago. Fun times~
06-18-2015, 04:08 AM
I don't really play Dota 2. TF2 would be fun though
06-18-2015, 04:16 AM
(06-18-2015 03:05 AM)Palamedes Wrote:  Come on Coldblooded let's talk about manly jock stuff instead to scare them off. Like... uh,

Sports?

Yeah man I sure do love all those sports that I sport. I usually get in at least twelve a day, if not more. I bet these nerds couldn't even do that much in a week.

I only play REAL sports like Ultimate Frisbee and Figure Skating and Call of Duty.

Anyways, speaking of hot men, Mother Mother came to Columbus last week and they played music real good. Here are some videos that you can listen to while you continue surfing the internet in another tab. Please try to enjoy them, I had to pay a lot of money for the royalties on this forum post.

Tumblr/Steam
06-18-2015, 04:16 AM
(06-18-2015 03:42 AM)TehPilot Wrote:  Smash Bros is good and all, but I believe we could all bond over an in-house game of Dota 2.
(06-18-2015 04:08 AM)speedchuck Wrote:  TF2 would be fun though

either would be fine for me

Edited for Readability and Preservation of Sanity - The Revolution - OP - Chapter 1/2 - Chapter 2/2 (missing maps) - Chapter 2 - Chapter 3 (Ongoing) - Chat
06-18-2015, 04:18 AM
The joy of Dota 2 with friends is not tryharding, but suffering all together. And trashtalking in global chat.

I just like playing Phoenix and going into my egg.

website | @tehpilot
06-18-2015, 04:28 AM
Has there been a dota mafia, where everyone has to deal damage to a person before they're dead? It would be an interesting mechanic

Edited for Readability and Preservation of Sanity - The Revolution - OP - Chapter 1/2 - Chapter 2/2 (missing maps) - Chapter 2 - Chapter 3 (Ongoing) - Chat
06-18-2015, 04:46 AM
@cb: https://rateyourmusic.com/list/amosmyn/bands_seen_live/
I go to a lot of live shows. Love me some music :P
The chronological list there is pretty easy to read in case youre interested in scoping it out :)
My 160gb iPod Classic just hit max capacity yesterday actually.

Ive listened to Mother Mother before. Im kinda half n half with them; some of their stuff I find real fun while others.. not so much~ They arent bad! :)
06-18-2015, 06:03 AM
@Amos: Yeah I agree, a lot of their songs are really hit and miss, and the first album especially is extra heavy on the "miss" side.

Tycho seems like it would be a weird band to see live, because I usually only listen to their stuff when I'm busy reading or something and want some non-distracting ambient-type music to put on in the background. Certainly not something that I'd expect would be made better by standing around in a room with hundreds of strangers.

Sun Kil Moon is another band that I'm sort of mixed on. I really, really liked the 'Benji' album that he released last year, but every time that I try to listen to any of his earlier albums they just never click. (A small part of the reason why I like 'Benji' so much is that the songs all largely take place in an area not too far away from where my parents and grandparents grew up, but I think the main reason I like it is that the whole album is so personal and real, whereas most of his earlier albums sound like somebody trying to tell a fictional story by rattling off hundreds of loosely related metaphors in a row. Like come on man, if you're gonna force me to look up all the lyrics online and try to plot the entire song out on a wall, at least try to get me engaged in the music first.)

I forget where I was going with this, but the bottom line is that Benji was a great album and everything before that doesn't matter. (This here would be the part where I'd link to the song "Carissa" if not for the fact that it'd probably be a pretty drastic mood shift for a thread that's mainly been about dumb jokes and videojames so far.)

I don't really go to that many concerts though usually. Do you have any recommendations for some good studio albums?

Tumblr/Steam
06-18-2015, 06:46 AM
Sun Kil Moon has lately been considered quite the controversial artist, especially in regards to War on Drugs. I hear a lot of good things about Benji though so Im excited to listen to it. :)

Lesse.. recommendations..

To Be Kind by Swans is currently my favourite album, but its not super accessible
Afro by Dizzy Gilespie is fantastic. Old stuff.
Multilove by Unknown Mortal Orchestra is a pretty great Indie album from this year
Immunity by Jon Hopkins
Renihlation by Liturgy
Zeroes QC by Suuns
Remain in Light by Talking Heads
Mule Variations by Tom Waits
Obsidian by Baths
Per Un Pugno Di Samba by Ennio & Chico
Psychic by Darkside
and Black Messiah by D'Angelo

That might keep you busy ;)
06-18-2015, 08:49 AM
if we are talking mobas i have been enjoying heroes of the storm lately.

[Image: sonicsig2.jpg]
Steam
06-18-2015, 09:13 AM
With the exception of Awesomenauts which Ive played a few times, I probably never will play any sort of moba.
06-18-2015, 09:59 AM
I could get behind group TF2 (if my attempt at TF2!Resistance is any indicator!). Unfortunately my introduction to mobas was LoL which kind of spoils you for the other ones and their convoluted-seeming mechanics :v

(plus I mean I'm enough of a design purist that I had trouble adjusting to LAST HITTING because it seemed counter-intuitive. I understand the purposes it serves re: forcing the player to split their focus between the enemy and some menial task and how it speaks to the "miniaturized MMO" atmosphere mobas have, but having something that feels RTS-y/RPG-y where you want to attack as little as possible is kinda weird. I imagine it would take me forever to get used to DotA given this)

I lament that I got here too late to make "sportball" jokes.

And re: DotA mafia, check out beru's role/QT in Blendersongfia. Dunno if that concept could be expanded into an entire game, but it might be a decent starting point.

06-18-2015, 10:16 AM
I've had a hand in four MOBAs. League of Legends, Dota 2, Awesomenauts, Heroes of the Storm. As for how I rank them, basically in that order. I much prefer League's methods of checks and balances (not a huge fan of Dota's solo carry and lockdown-heavy teamfighting), but the level of complexity and micromanagement is favorable. I've played those games for two years, and I can't enjoy Heroes as it takes some of the skill management I like in the other games out of the formula. Awesomenauts is a clear winner in terms of character design and charm, but it suffers from lack of mechanical structure and micro to flex my skills in. Also, people like to sell the community of Awesomenauts as super-friendly and nontoxic, which a little investigating tells me that is far from the case.

Basically I'm a huge moba nerd and if you play we should play sometime.

website | @tehpilot
06-18-2015, 10:24 AM
A close friend of mine plays Diamond League with a Jungle AD Malthazar. He wrote a guide about it and apparently it's the most popular guide for League right now. The second most popular was also written by him I think.
Not that I really know much about it though~
06-18-2015, 10:38 AM
I recently installed League at the recommendation of a friend, and the one thing I have to say so far is that people should stop comparing MOBAs to RTS games. I am a huge RTS fan (Age of Empires, woo), and the game is completely different design-wise. It's really much more like an MMORPG in both atmosphere and design.

The one, the only, Vancho!
06-18-2015, 11:30 AM
group tf2/mobas would be fun
iirc eagletime had a group tf2 but we only did like 2 days :(
06-18-2015, 11:40 AM
Indeed!
I think I was the one that organized that.
Now that its summer again could totally try doing it again.
But uh, can someone else be in charge this time?
06-18-2015, 02:21 PM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2015 02:42 PM by phantomEclipse.)
(06-17-2015 04:25 PM)AProcrastinatingWriter Wrote:  will throw both of them into pocket status to main Phoenix Wright if by some chance all my dreams come true and he makes it in.
YESSSSSS

(06-18-2015 03:53 AM)amosmyn Wrote:  
(06-18-2015 03:42 AM)TehPilot Wrote:  

Or TF2?

My internet is really bad, (like omg you will never know) and it would take me literally all day for two days to download TF2, and even then, my parents are the whole "against guns" crap so i actually havent played a shooter for more than like a day at a friends house, since Black Ops 2 basically

Also I tried Dota 2, i never got into it, i like LoL a lot more. But there was apparently an update for Dota 2 that added a buncha nice stuff to it

Also im available all day tomorrow for smashing as well as tonight if any of you are late night players

Edit: added Garu

Also i downloaded Megaman 2, and I love it

Edit #2:

Get of Monster Hunter 4 Amos, I know it's a great game (that i need to buy) but i need to whoop you in Smash

Edit 3: I just bought Roy

06-18-2015, 02:27 PM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2015 02:28 PM by ICan'tGiveCredit.)
(06-18-2015 02:21 PM)phantomEclipse Wrote:  Also I tried Dota 2, i never got into it, i like LoL a lot more. But there was apparently an update for Dota 2 that added a buncha nice stuff to it

And there is also yet another one, to be released mid-july. It's pretty sizeable.

06-18-2015, 02:31 PM
I used to play MOBAs fairly frequently. (Mainly League, but also some DOTA, Smite, and Awesomenauts.) I can't be bothered to play them much anymore though, because MOBAs just take up way too much time for something that usually just ends with me growing to hate all of my friends and teammates and also the world at large. MOBAs are evil.

@Amos: Thanks for the album recommendations! I'll try to listen to them over the next week or so and see which ones I like.

Here's a few albums that I like too, not that anyone asked:
Lead Sails Paper Anchor - Atreyu
Electric Lady - Janelle Monae
Hounds of Love - Kate Bush
Benji - Sun Kil Moon
Down the Way - Angus and Julie Stone
Heart in Motion - Amy Grant (Yes seriously)
Discography - The Mountain Goats (Okay fine, if you made me pick just one album it would probably have to be Heretic Pride)

Tumblr/Steam
06-18-2015, 02:39 PM
Oh and also, I now have Amos' post up there bookmarked as "Campfire Songs" on my browser, so I just wanted everybody to know that I probably think I'm really clever and am very proud of myself.

Tumblr/Steam
06-18-2015, 02:43 PM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2015 02:43 PM by phantomEclipse.)
Here is a general list of songs from my pandora I made:

http://www.quicktopic.com/51/H/KF4cwBfG3HL

And if we're posting "campfire songs" we have to have THE Campfire Song Song

06-18-2015, 03:08 PM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2015 03:28 PM by amosmyn.)
I made a room, pE.

@cb Ill add those to my RYM wishlist so I can check them out later!

Although I do already have a lot of albms to plow through as is. :P

EDIT: Have you listened to anything else Kate Bush? I love 'A Dreaming' and 'Never for Ever'.
Edit 2: Wee bit of input lag on smash w/ pE.
06-18-2015, 03:23 PM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2015 04:06 PM by phantomEclipse.)
ugh bro idk why im lagging, my actions aint working good'

probably my shite net

another time Amos, connection aint gonna let it happen, cant play with a 2 second delay, lol

Actual Music things that are nice:
A Dream by Rundfunk
Disconnected by Pegboard Nerds
Instant Dream by Daft Punk
The Faster the Treadmill by I Fight Dragons
Concept 1 by Kodomo
Start Shootin by Little People
Soon It Will Be Cold Enough (album) by Emancipator
All the Rowboats by Regina Spekter
Nochwas by Duo505 (this one is probably my favorite on this list)
While on Saturn's Rings by Erneset Gonzales

That's all i can think of off the top of my head

here is Nochwas:
It's actually quite a sad video and song, but it feels so nice in a way

Here is the full song

i didnt realize this whole album was good because i could never find it, so i made a playlist for the world to use

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...0G5n_J3rQ_