Complete Insomniac Mafia - SCUM/3P WIN
03-29-2016, 11:41 AM
RE: Insomniac Mafia [13/13] - D1: Drunk on Justice
vancho Wrote:Codewords seem kind of sketchy to me, I mean, how will people exchange codewords if they don't have a means of communication beforehand? Unless you mean to use the tempmason as a key exchange, but that sort of secret information sharing seems a bit suspicious to me.

Howzat?
03-29-2016, 11:42 AM
Nova, are you saying you don't want us to have a system in place for secretly sharing info beyond tempchats?

Are you trying to shut down my pirate radio broadcast?

Are you, in fact, the Man????

Vote: Nova

Row row fight the powa

(09-25-2015 09:43 PM)Coldblooded Wrote:  Granola congratulations on maintaining your reign as king of the bastards once again.
03-29-2016, 03:11 PM
(03-29-2016 01:30 AM)Nova Wrote:  Yeah actually vote Granolaman I don't like how he kinda just baited folks into talking about the system

Could you elaborate on this a little? I'm kind of reading it as "mechanical talk is bad" but I'm not sure if that's actually what you mean and even if it is I don't like that argument being applied with no context (i.e. WHY is it bad that it's being done now?)

WHOA CHECK OUT ALL THESE MAFIA GAMES GUYS
(06-06-2016 06:12 AM)Coldblooded Wrote:  if there was ever a scumteam to overthink things and make a huge dramatic production out of day one, DC and Granola would probably be it.
03-29-2016, 03:19 PM
(03-29-2016 11:42 AM)Granolaman Wrote:  Nova, are you saying you don't want us to have a system in place for secretly sharing info beyond tempchats?

Are you trying to shut down my pirate radio broadcast?

Are you, in fact, the Man????

Row row fight the powa

This is more or less an evasive joke-laden OMGUS

I like my vote

(03-29-2016 03:11 PM)dichotomousCreator Wrote:  Could you elaborate on this a little? I'm kind of reading it as "mechanical talk is bad" but I'm not sure if that's actually what you mean and even if it is I don't like that argument being applied with no context (i.e. WHY is it bad that it's being done now?)

Are we at MyLo?
[spoiler=Yes]Mechanical talk is an acceptable to prevent a mislynch[/spoiler]
[spoiler=No]It's easy chatter for Mafia and distracts from scumhunting[/spoiler]

In this case, Town should not be broadcasting their desire to use codewords where the Mafia can see; it does nothing to tip the scales of information and only helps the scumteam
03-29-2016, 03:20 PM
That's not the spoiler tag rip me
03-29-2016, 03:20 PM
Aw fuck I shroop'd lynch me
03-29-2016, 03:22 PM
no

also I exist, but will be mostly inactive until at least friday, and probably until late saturday
03-29-2016, 03:30 PM
*Shrug* guess I just won't invite you to my daisy chain shenanigans then.

(09-25-2015 09:43 PM)Coldblooded Wrote:  Granola congratulations on maintaining your reign as king of the bastards once again.
03-29-2016, 03:39 PM
@Nova

Hmm.

I'm not entirely sure I agree, and I think an argument could be made the other way (i.e. "Mafia members will try to suppress mechanical talk so the town can't benefit from it"). Properly constructed code words shouldn't be ACTUALLY breakable, so all that talking about it openly really does is give the idea to townies who hadn't thought of it and cause the mafia to spend pointless time scanning for coded communications (noting that if none of the mafia members had thought of it it DOES give them the idea, but there's several mafia members while each townie has to think of it individually)

However, it should be noted that I'm a mechanical talk fan myself and it's a divisive issue in terms of valuation. So I'm hardly unbiased on the issue. I guess I can see where asking for open opinion is like "hey let's all talk about something that's not scumhunting", but I've asked stuff like that as town for the primary purpose of getting opinions so I dunno.

Maybe it should be like defending yourself (i.e. you can post it, but it should come with other content)...except of course it's early D1 so what other content even is there really? I guess my biggest question mark about this is that what other content were you EXPECTING from Granola at this point?

Unrelated: Dammit GX. Ech fine Lynch: Granolaman I'm hardly going to get useful content out of an absentee and "mechanics talk that may or may not be an attempt to forestall D1 scumhunting" is better than nothing.

(06-06-2016 06:12 AM)Coldblooded Wrote:  if there was ever a scumteam to overthink things and make a huge dramatic production out of day one, DC and Granola would probably be it.
03-29-2016, 11:54 PM
(EBWOP: Been feeling kinda guilty about that "dammit GX" comment. Don't mean to be having a go at you for having priorities other than this game :/)

03-30-2016, 12:06 AM
Eh, not really feeling any of the wagons. Let's Vote DC so you all can talk about how this makes me scum or whatever.
03-30-2016, 06:56 AM
Sorry, I will be absent for today due to a midterm. To answer the question about why I dislike coded communication - there is no guarantee that the person you're communicating with is actually town, for one, and second it gives mafia a justification for sharing information "Oh, we had a tempmason and we agreed that these codewords meant these things, look at our previous posts, we used them". That's why I am kind of the opinion that secret info-sharing for town has limited and specific applications, say for example a cop sharing results with a trusted/confirmed townie, but otherwise hurts town (because it would be better for more people to know who is innocent/guilty if the cop has several results, since mafia already has that information).

The one, the only, Vancho!
03-30-2016, 07:54 AM
At least you guys are here to tell us you won't be here

Where's the other half of the player list
03-30-2016, 10:42 AM
Why, on the lurker lynch table, of course!

Seriously though this needs to be dealt with sooner rather than later. If we wait until dayend to start lurker lynching there won't be a real chance of the lurker speaking up (which is preferred to ending the day in a blind lynch, which we at least have to be able to realistically threaten to do in order to actually get lurkers to post). Not to mention To that end...

Lynch: Acionyx Come on down! You're the next contestant on "Speak Up Or Die"! Possible deaths include:

- Lynched
- Daykilled
- Suikilled
- Vigged
- Obliterated
- Modkilled
- Overdosed on GIFs
- Set on fire and dropped into a lake which is also on fire

Audience members should feel free to vote for their favourite! (NOTE - Most audience members will only be able to vote for option #1). Operators are standing by. Dial 1800-KILL-LURKERS and place your vote now. Don't delay!

Thank you for your participation. And remember: Speak up! OR DIE.

DISCLAIMER: dC's "Speak Up Or Die" program makes no guarantees regarding dC's role or role abilities. Information presented here is for entertainment purposes only and does not necessarily reflect the reality of the game state. By participating, you agree to be bound by our Terms and Conditions. Participation is mandatory.

03-30-2016, 10:43 AM
EBWOP: ..."Not to mention I'm not even sure we can get a voting majority with the people who are currently posting"

03-30-2016, 11:41 AM
Yeah okay I'm bored now, time to lose the pants already.

Guess who here's a third party marker who wins if they visit/are visited by a majority of the game an odd number of times???

(Trick question, the answer is me.)

Anyway, everybody should go visit me tonight, it'll be fun. Also, scum please don't kill me N1 again TIA.

Tumblr/Steam
03-30-2016, 11:43 AM
Joke's on u I can post a surplus of hilarious image macros in any role

[Image: E1zgiPM.gif]
03-30-2016, 11:44 AM
OH SHIT MAKE ME 3P
03-30-2016, 12:03 PM
I chill wit you if you chill wit me brah

03-30-2016, 01:33 PM
that sounds like someone who is totally telling the truth and is totally not a granny/someone who learns the roles of whoever visits them
lynch garuru

dC Wrote:donut is A FILTHY TRAITOR unreliable
03-30-2016, 01:46 PM
(03-30-2016 01:33 PM)icanhasdonut Wrote:  that sounds like someone who is totally telling the truth and is totally not a granny/someone who learns the roles of whoever visits them
lynch garuru

Sounds like somebody who totally isn't hoping to leave the 3rd party around until mylo to get mislynched/forced to joint with scum. ;)

Tumblr/Steam
03-30-2016, 02:43 PM
Seriously people if we're gonna address lurkers at all we need to do it early in the day (this is doubly true for Acio who will probably ignore the shit out of anything short of H-2 in a game this size). I'd at least like Acio to explain his absence like a few other people have if he's got external reasons for it.

03-30-2016, 02:45 PM
Hm. Nothing interesting going on besides the early D1 independent claim.

Druplesnubb's lazy vote and lack of other participation makes me feel a bit like it's a 'look how much I'm lampshading this scum move I can't be scum', dC's immediate jumping to lurkerlynching (after jumping away from GX and onto Granola) is suspicious but slightly mitigated by the move not being made as early as I initially thought, donut's checking in and having an opinion but deciding to just randomvote is bad.

but I'd like to

Maybe I'm just being played but Granola's mechanics thing and vote were super early when nothing relevant was going on (except for maybe dC's opinion on GXpost versus Coldblooded's) and jumping all over that shit before going to shitpostville is standing out to me the most to me right now.

Coldblooded why is it a big deal if you're forced to joint with scum in MYLO if you're third party?
03-30-2016, 02:47 PM
EBWOP: dC unless I'm incorrect I believe we have a replacement so I'm not super concerned about the necessity of a lurkerlynch right now. If Acio is the least likely to respond to obvious 'post once and I'll leave you be' voting shouldn't you be trying to go after more people and thus get more participating faster?
03-30-2016, 02:59 PM
I thought that initially but I'm kinda leaning quality over quantity (i.e. if Acio is town I'd rather he be contributing than most other lurkers)

Replacements are fine but they still put us in a disadvantaged situation (no read on the slot until D2). Given the way consensus seems to be going (i.e. "don't bother with this" at one end and "no comment" at the other) and the extreme time sensitivity (i.e. unless the lynch is assembled really quickly, the lurker responds, and the lynch has time to intelligently move elsewhere) it's probably not worth continuing since I doubt I can attract enough people to make it worthwhile.

I did also kind of want to make that faux game show post once I thought of it. >_>. <_<.

So I guess I'll go back to Lynch: Granolaman. Nova's behaviour seems more or less unobjectionable to me so far? I would like him to answer what other content he was expecting Granola to produce given how early in D1 the mechspec post was made, but that's more or less counterbalanced by trying to get things happening early D1.

Also Pala is there anything posted so far that you DO like content-wise?

03-30-2016, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 03-30-2016 03:28 PM by phantomEclipse.)
Dont let the bed bugs bite
Votals:
Vancho(1): CB (88)
GX(1): Vancho(86)
Nova(3): Acio(79), granola(102), Pala(123)
DC(1): druple(111)
Acio(1): Garuru(72)
Granola(2): Nova(100), dC(125)
Garuru(1): donut(120)

Abstaining: GX, TTA, Idea Master

~48 hours remaining in the day

Edit: I gave granola and donut two votes, whoops.

Edit2: I'm bad at counting.

It's time to, T-T-T-T-T-T TRIPLE POST
03-30-2016, 03:15 PM
Wait was Acio scum in that last game I was in cuz that might influence my vote

Also Pala get off ma dicc

Mechspec is -1 under nearly all circumstances and I'd rather +0 than -1
03-30-2016, 03:40 PM
(03-30-2016 02:45 PM)Palamedes Wrote:  Coldblooded why is it a big deal if you're forced to joint with scum in MYLO if you're third party?

A. 3P Kingmaking is super boring and shitty and sucks for everyone, and I don't want to be forced into that position if I can avoid it.

B. I like my chances of winning a whole lot better if town is willing to actually help me out/not get in the way, rather than just avoiding me like the plague as Donut seems to be suggesting.

Tumblr/Steam
03-30-2016, 04:44 PM
(03-30-2016 02:43 PM)dichotomousCreator Wrote:  Seriously people if we're gonna address lurkers at all we need to do it early in the day (this is doubly true for Acio who will probably ignore the shit out of anything short of H-2 in a game this size). I'd at least like Acio to explain his absence like a few other people have if he's got external reasons for it.

Got sick. Still sick really.

(03-30-2016 02:47 PM)Palamedes Wrote:  EBWOP: dC unless I'm incorrect I believe we have a replacement so I'm not super concerned about the necessity of a lurkerlynch right now. If Acio is the least likely to respond to obvious 'post once and I'll leave you be' voting shouldn't you be trying to go after more people and thus get more participating faster?

That's a thing. Also DC's distancing from his granola votes is hurgh*

Lynch: DC

*Let's just toss all the belief out of our own votes here:

Quote:"mechanics talk that may or may not be an attempt to forestall D1 scumhunting" is better than nothing.

Quote:.except of course it's early D1 so what other content even is there really? I guess my biggest question mark about this is that what other content were you EXPECTING from Granola at this point?
03-30-2016, 05:07 PM
Okay so there's a difference between a weak vote and a distanced vote. Weak suggests being unsure, while distancing suggests pretending to be unsure in order to-

Oh, THAT'S why everyone pretends to be sure about their votes, because it makes it impossible for scum to pretend to be unsure about them. I still don't like it, but at least it makes sense now.

Mrgle. I still don't want to >_>. It's early D1, my votes are all weak and will always BE weak at this point in the game and hey look I figured out why I always attract a D1 wagon!

Anyway lessee here
@Nova - Still want to know what good D1 content would have looked like around when Granola posted the mechspec thing (partly because I don't really understand what good D1 content looks like in general >_>)
@Palamedes - Still want to know if you just hate everything everyone's posted or if there's anything that stuck out as town to you
@Acionyx - Lessee...you've played how many games with me and not noticed that low belief in D1 votes is a character trait of mine? Or do you just think I should be trying to change it?

Largely leaving CB's mess alone because of how Sotek's early 3P claim went downhill in CH4 and because it's kind of who cares? I don't think there's anything to really coordinate other than "make sure he can pick up his win in exchange for voting with the town"

03-30-2016, 05:22 PM
Pala/DC

What're your reads on vancho's answer to my question?
03-30-2016, 07:28 PM
(03-30-2016 05:22 PM)Acionyx Wrote:  Pala/DC

What're your reads on vancho's answer to my question?

(03-30-2016 06:56 AM)Vancho1 Wrote:  Sorry, I will be absent for today due to a midterm. To answer the question about why I dislike coded communication - there is no guarantee that the person you're communicating with is actually town, for one, and second it gives mafia a justification for sharing information "Oh, we had a tempmason and we agreed that these codewords meant these things, look at our previous posts, we used them". That's why I am kind of the opinion that secret info-sharing for town has limited and specific applications, say for example a cop sharing results with a trusted/confirmed townie, but otherwise hurts town (because it would be better for more people to know who is innocent/guilty if the cop has several results, since mafia already has that information).

Well...

I don't understand what he means by giving mafia a justification for sharing information. They can share information at will in the mafia quicktopic, right? In what situation is it useful for two mafia members to share information through codewords in-thread?

Also, surely coded communication is no more risky than regular communication in terms of whether the person you're talking to is town...I mean, you'd just exercise the same caution you do when revealing information normally. I can sort of see where you'd use coded communication for info that's more likely to be bad for mafia to get, but that's a risk to be aware of rather than a reason not to do it.

I guess it's not really a convincing argument against it for me at this point and I would like to hear more from Vancho about it? Especially on the whole "mafia sharing information" thing. I'd kinda blipped it because code words are pretty marginal utility, but I guess there are good reasons to ask about it anyway.

03-31-2016, 12:00 AM
You can make an effectively unbreakable code with a sufficient list of phrase->meaning translations and a tiny bit of creativity

I'm sick and busy with IRL exams but I'm following along at least sort of
03-31-2016, 12:43 AM
Listen I'm not the guy to ask about good D1 content I mean have you seen my posts

But, once again

+0 is better than -1
03-31-2016, 03:32 AM
Acio, dC, will answer you later when I have more than 2 minutes.

Nova, why does making one fairly simple mechanical post make Granola the actual devil? Why are Vancho and GX exempt from your leering eyes?
03-31-2016, 04:58 AM
Here, let me state this more clearly: Coded communication is useful for town in a limited number of situations. Scum, however, can communicate already (mafia QT). Players sharing secret information thus suggests either masons or scum. If scum can claim that they were using code in-thread, it will become harder to distinguish between scum sharing info through their QT and town sharing information. This is my opinion.

Now, to talk about not-mechanics stuff:

I am ambivalent about CB's 3P claim. Honestly, I think marker is kind of a bad role to be in, just because you have to guess who's going to stay alive and stuff.

Currently, I'm going to Vote:donut Explain your garuru vote to me? Because I don't really get why someone would claim marker if they're a granny? Also, I don't like donut's posts so far - basically a post saying that GX was lynchable without a vote, and this weak vote on garuru.

03-31-2016, 06:50 AM
(03-31-2016 03:32 AM)Palamedes Wrote:  Nova, why does making one fairly simple mechanical post make Granola the actual devil? Why are Vancho and GX exempt from your leering eyes?

I'm not gonna answer that until you take some of the hyperbole out of it 'cause for all I know you're not even talking about me
03-31-2016, 06:51 AM
...Y'know, except for the fact you used my name
03-31-2016, 06:53 AM
@dC: I actually feel reasonably well about Granolaman? I don't like talking about mechanical stuff as a thing but based on how Nova went after him and his response I wouldn't want him lynched. I felt great about Coldblooded too but that's my typical 'feel good about the third party guy' that seems to be the norm for me now. Oh also regarding your response to Acio there is a real and oftentimes noticeable difference between not being sure and completely and utterly distancing yourself from your vote. Namely, the whole 'if he's town you can't come after me because I'm definitely just settling here' attitude that I'm really getting from your votes.

@Acio: Vancho's answer seems honestly like a less shady version of what Nova is doing? Aka criticizing mechanical talk only because it's mechanical talk. Difference is that I think Vancho is actually trying to stick to it and explain instead of just being insistent and treating it like a 100% scum detector. Here's a fun riddle: what is more safe and therefore suspicious than talking about mechanics?

@Vancho: donut was criticizing Coldblooded and then voting a compltely different person for literally no reason whatsoever. So uh, his vote is even worse than you've realized.

Oh right and have you figured out the riddle? Here's the answer if you want to check or couldn't figure it out:

It's going after someone for talking about mechanics.
03-31-2016, 06:54 AM
Sig has replaced TryTryAgain

It's time to, T-T-T-T-T-T TRIPLE POST
03-31-2016, 06:55 AM
EBWOP: Hi Nova I don't think I've never been more sure I am voting for the right person D1. You know exactly what I mean, 50,000 Pedantic Watts.
03-31-2016, 07:05 AM
Holy fucking shit this is gonna be a fun ride isn't it
03-31-2016, 07:06 AM
Y'know maybe I'll just stick to 100% fluffposts until D3 if this is what happens when I try to put work in
03-31-2016, 07:28 AM
AND NOW I LOST MY SOULS

GREAT
03-31-2016, 07:50 AM
i voted garuru as a prod and as a "nova is getting too many votes on him" vote
wrt coldblooded and gx: i distrust coldblooded because i never trust stuff like that anyways until the flip and i'd like to point out to not just take a "visit me" claim at face value but that's not a reason for me to lynch him
and i don't want to lynch gx. at all.

i'm with nova on mechanical posts are bad mainly because it's really dull for me to discuss mechanics and i don't want to post

dC Wrote:donut is A FILTHY TRAITOR unreliable
03-31-2016, 07:51 AM
Nah actually

I have a better idea

Vote Pala

So you're tunneling me for tunneling, huh? Can't come up with any better targets than the guy who can't come up with any better targets? Bullshit. Found 'em, boys.
03-31-2016, 08:33 AM
Oh, goddammit you're right pala, I got coldblooded and garuru confused.

03-31-2016, 08:35 AM
EBWOP: Voting as a prod somehow seems even worse to me because there are actual people to be voting for?

Also nova's recent posts are a bunch of fluff and belligerent posturing, and what feels like an OMGUS vote on Pala. Definitely don't feel too hot about nova either.

03-31-2016, 08:48 AM
Thought: Vancho and Donut are probably not both scum together and between the two of them Donut looks worse.

Lynch Donut

Tumblr/Steam
03-31-2016, 08:52 AM
(03-31-2016 07:51 AM)Nova Wrote:  Nah actually

I have a better idea

Vote Pala

So you're tunneling me for tunneling, huh? Can't come up with any better targets than the guy who can't come up with any better targets? Bullshit. Found 'em, boys.
Yup, this does it. Vote: Nova.
This is not just an OMGUS vote, but a really badly justified one. Pala's not been tunneling Nova, he's also raised points against me, Donut and DC.

Donut going after Garuru directly after claiming CB was lying antitown and not explaining why until he got called out on it is also really bad but also seems a little too blatant. I think most scum would add some kind of justification for voting Garuru directly after accusing another player of being scum.