Closed / Abandoned The Resistance
04-23-2013, 08:44 AM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2015 08:19 AM by amosmyn.)
The Resistance
Hello

Since, at the moment, we can't seem to gather enough people in one place to get a game started, I will be running a(t least one) game of Resistance.

This is a game for five players.

1. Collen
2. Pala
3. Inox
4. Donut
5. Kieros

You are members of a resistance group fighting an oppressive government. But two among you are spies, who have infiltrated the group and are attempting to sabotage the completion of your missions. If three of the five missions fail, the resistance will lose and the spies will win.

________
Gameplay goes as such:
Pre-Game -

I will inform each of you whether you are loyal or a spy.
I will inform each spy who the other spy is. (NOTE: unlike mafia games, the spies will NOT be able to talk privately).
One player will be randomly selected to be the leader of the first mission.
________
Game start -
Gameplay proceeds through a series of five missions.
Each player will be the leader of exactly one mission.
Missions will require either two or three players to complete. (2,3,2,3,3)
________
The leader will select his team from the players after a discussion phase.
Each other player will submit a vote to me privately on whether to approve or deny the team.
I will reveal the player votes and whether the team was approved or denied (majority rule).
If the team was denied, then the leader must form another team and resubmit for approval.
If the team is approved, play proceeds to the mission attempt.
Each spy on the team may tell me if they are sabotaging the mission or not. If any spy sabotages the mission, the mission fails.
SPY WARNING: If /both/ spies are on a team and vote to sabotage, the resulting destruction will be obvious to all, and the thread will be informed.
________
Play then proceeds to the next player and repeats until either each player has been leader exactly once or three missions have been failed.
________
If three missions are failed, the spies win. If not, the loyal resistance fighters win.

WHO WANNA PLAY

Doctor Who: The Forgotten Doctor
Escape the Day
04-23-2013, 09:10 AM
RE: The Resistance
/in

Hell yes.
04-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Man I screwed this up in the mspaforums!

Maybe I've learned my lesson, only one way to find out.

(In.)
04-23-2013, 11:54 AM
I can't possibly not /in!

Resistance is one of my top 15 favorite physical magnitudes!
04-23-2013, 11:56 AM
I'll try this.
/in

dC Wrote:donut is A FILTHY TRAITOR unreliable
04-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Watch as I blow this up in the Resistance's face again.
04-23-2013, 01:13 PM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2013 01:20 PM by Scoffles.)
The game has begun.

Palamedes will lead the first mission, play will then proceed down the player list so that Collen will lead the last mission.

Pala, the first mission needs two team members.

Please select them.
Bold the phrase "I nominate _____" when you are ready to submit to the vote

Escape the Day
04-23-2013, 01:22 PM
So let's discuss.

To be honest I was thinking of rolling a four sided die or something and going from there? Though I really don't want to trust Kieros again that was a huge mistake.
04-23-2013, 01:24 PM
Oh and hey let's keep it to a reasonable time limit

I don't want to ever have to call time on you guys but I will if you're nancying around

Escape the Day
04-23-2013, 01:32 PM
I will probably decide in a few hours? Or after I sleep which would be a bit longer. Because let's be honest there's really not much to discuss at this point.
04-23-2013, 09:42 PM
Pala, it was one time. Okay, technically it was five times within that one time, but you get the point.
04-24-2013, 01:10 AM
Fine.

me/Kieros.

Let's do this.
04-24-2013, 02:59 AM
Everyone please pm me your votes to approve/deny the team of Pala/Kieros

Remember that I will reveal everyone's vote once they are all in.

Escape the Day
04-24-2013, 03:26 AM
Are we assuming that I am autoapproving or what

Since I made the mission and all.
04-24-2013, 03:49 AM
Yeah if you want

Escape the Day
04-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Is discussion open?

We should totally discuss what possible scenarios could play out if it is.
I get the feeling these two player missions will be really important. They're the easiest to analyze at least.
04-24-2013, 12:12 PM (This post was last modified: 04-24-2013 12:16 PM by Palamedes.)
They also suck. Because there's a near 0% chance of catching two traitors being in one of them/have two traitors pass a mission due to them being afraid of revealing themselves. I guess they're also our best shot at getting a win too since there's less people (we need to literally figure out all three resistance members for the three man ones).

Also, if we succeed in this mission you should pick Collen and Donut since it means two of you are probably traitors and we might be able to get another town victory out of it.
04-24-2013, 12:36 PM
-Yes, discussion is always allowed

The votes are in
Approve: Pala, Collen, Donut, Kieros, Inox
Deny:

The team is accepted.

Spies on the mission, if any, please submit privately whether you wish to sabotage the mission.

Escape the Day
04-25-2013, 06:42 AM
The mission has been SABOTAGED.

Resistance: 0
Spies: 1

Inox, you are the leader of the second mission. This mission requires three players.

Please select your team and bold your final submission to the vote.

Escape the Day
04-25-2013, 07:02 AM
God damn it Kieros you said it was only one time.

So the way I see it there's two things we know - one out of me/Kieros is a traitor (it's Kieros btw). That means one of you guys is a traitor too. We can either have Inox take Kieros and I back hoping to find out if he's a traitor too (not a great plan, since that would only help us for round three). We could also have Inox take Collen and Donuts but that's even worse (since hey one of you three is the other traitor).

I'd personally go for Inox and one member from each side? Inox then one of me/Kieros and Donuts/Collen, for him to decide.
04-25-2013, 07:55 AM
Personally I think Kieros shouldn't be on the next mission. I believe we should prioritize on finding out the other spy instead of confirming what we know/suspect.
04-25-2013, 08:10 AM
I think letting Inox decide between the two groups for himself is important though - if he's a traitor he won't pick his scummate, and if he's legit then he might just pick two traitors out.

I guess if he is a traitor we can't force him to pick his buddy (Kieros). Ugh.

I'd prefer me over Kieros as well since I know my own alignment, want to hear why you suspect him over me yourself though.
04-25-2013, 09:22 AM (This post was last modified: 04-25-2013 09:25 AM by Inox.)
There is a third option.

Pala AND Kieros could be the traitors.

The more I think about it the more I think a spy has no reason to not pick his spypal to go with him on a 2 player mission, and then not sabotage.

Either his pal sabotages, which furthers their wincon, or he doesn't, which furthers the loyals' wincon but "clears" both of them, making it possible for them to incriminate honest loyal upstanding trustworthy members of the resistance later on.

I propose do not take neither Pala nor Kieros on any missions.

That is, Me/Collen/Donut

04-25-2013, 09:26 AM
But wouldn't that also be a massive risk?

Because the traitors have to win three out of five missions, and any 'clear' they could get would be ruined by the very next mission or two, and, since they'd both (we're assuming) get chosen due to being 'clear' they'd have to deal with accidentally outing themselves on the very next mission.
04-25-2013, 09:29 AM
:|

I might have not thought that through as much as I should have.
04-25-2013, 09:30 AM
Oh I see you've already chosen the mission.

Oops.
04-25-2013, 09:32 AM (This post was last modified: 04-25-2013 09:33 AM by Inox.)
Hmmm...
Now that I think about it I'd like to hear what Collen's answer to Pala's question is.

@Pala I see it as a kind of "wink wink, hey traitorpal, you should totally sabotage". The elected traitor would assume his pal would not risk electing him and sabotaging as well.

Yeah the missionchoice was...
Rushed.

Not the smartest of moves.

Is anyone else up for rejecting that team and discussing further?
04-25-2013, 09:37 AM
I guess? Still seems like faulty logic to me, and I know there was only one traitor in my mission because I know my own alignment.

Feels like there's be too much at stake, what with the potential outing of both members, passing up multiple missions because they're not 100% sure of who's failing and who isn't, stuff like that.

Basically putting all of their treacherous eggs in one basket right from the start (especially since the start is the most dangerous time for the traitors) is a massive danger.

And, like I've pointed out, I can't condone the mission because I know the other traitor is part of it.
04-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Exactly; that mission has one for sure traitor in it. As much as I hate to agree with scum leader Palamedes, with only one member of the scum on it, we know that there's no reason for them to let it pass. Unless if it's Inox who is the other member, in which case there is a minuscule chance of it being helpful. But Collen or Donut? They should sabotage it until the cows come home to them and Palamedes.
04-25-2013, 11:06 AM (This post was last modified: 04-25-2013 11:17 AM by Collen.)
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of this choice. I'd like to suggest Pala/me as the last two members instead of me/Donut. I know I can trust myself and I trust Palamedes, therefore in the event of sabotage I will likely suspect the mission leader.
04-25-2013, 11:18 AM
I think it's considered a faux pas in this game to edit posts like that Collen (I know it is in regular mafia games and this is basically a version of one).
04-25-2013, 11:21 AM
I just brainfarted, it wasn't exactly anything important.
04-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Ah okay no problem then.

So what specifically makes you more trusting of me over Kieros? Or was it just a random guess on your part?
04-25-2013, 11:39 AM
Kieros hasn't exactly tried to deny anything, has he? Other than pinning the blame on you, of course. The fact that you're questioning me also helps, making you look less like scum in my eyes.
04-25-2013, 12:18 PM
In case you were wondering, yes, it is approve/deny time
I need everyone's votes

Feel free to carry on talking though

Escape the Day
04-25-2013, 01:02 PM
What do you want me to deny, Collen? We need data before we can analyse, and the only data that we have is that one of me and Pala is a scum. This next one does not give us any new data, as it would show that one of you, Inox, and Donut are scum. Which we can figure out from the fact that there are two scum. We need a mission with one of us and two of you three. Preferably me and two of those three so we can actually have a chance at success instead of sticking with Scumedes.
04-25-2013, 01:08 PM (This post was last modified: 04-25-2013 01:09 PM by Palamedes.)
Yeah unfortunately it's easy for Kieros to say the exact same things I'm saying, since it's only been one round, we need to test things out.

For me, I'd want to send either me/Collen/Inox (since Collen seems alright and Inox>Donut/Kieros). The only other team I'd be fine with would be Inox/Donut/Kieros because I can actually see an Inox/Kieros team (since Inox was/is(?) pushing hard to make a team that would almost assuredly involve failure) as well as a Kieros/Donut team. At least more than I see Kieros/Collen.

EBWOP: By that point I mean I think sending two scum is preferable to what we have now - there's a solid chance we'll out two of them or get a free pass out of it due to neither of them being sure who should fail and who should pass the mission.
04-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Only missing Inox's vote

Escape the Day
04-25-2013, 03:49 PM
I sent my vote in.
It's ultra late so I'm off to sleep. I'll be to plan the next team tomorrow.

Right now I'm seeing Pala as townier than Kieros but something about him still feels a bit iffy.

I want to hear from Donut, he was around to vote we know that much. I want to see him post before deciding between him and Collen.
04-25-2013, 04:05 PM
Votes are in:

Approve: Donut
Deny: Kieros, Pala, Inox, Collen

The team is not accepted.

Please try again.

Escape the Day
04-25-2013, 04:09 PM
So.

Not a fan of Donut right now.

Would suggest same teams as before, now Donut&Kieros feels better than Inox&Kieros for my ideal traitorteam.
04-25-2013, 09:20 PM
Sorry about not posting too much/that bad descision, I haven't really played this before :S.

dC Wrote:donut is A FILTHY TRAITOR unreliable
04-25-2013, 10:14 PM
(04-25-2013 01:08 PM)Palamedes Wrote:  Yeah unfortunately it's easy for Kieros to say the exact same things I'm saying, since it's only been one round, we need to test things out.
Exactly; one of the things that won it for me last round was all the people with duplicate scenarios. We need to break people up for the most effective one.

Also, how fun is it working with Donut? I know you cannot talk with him privately, but it's still better than nothing, right?
04-26-2013, 01:15 AM
I wouldn't know Kieros. Why don't you tell me, maybe actually contribute to the discussion? Though I guess it's kind of hard since you're nigh confirmed scum and nobody'll want to listen to you.

Anyways before we send the next team I kind of want to hear why Donut okay'd the mission, even though I'm pretty sure I know the answer already.

Inox a me/you/Collen team feels right, though if Kieros/Donut is the scumteam then a you/Kieros/Donut team might work out too (they'll potentially bounce their kills or reveal each other).
04-26-2013, 02:02 AM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2013 02:05 AM by Kíeros.)
Palamedes, the two of us are in the same boat; if I'm "nigh confirmed scum", then you are two. We've done exactly the same thing since the beginning. The only difference is in that you chose me, so if you are scum, then I'm not (why risk revealing yourself on the first mission?). Basically, one and only one of us is scum, and this is all going to try to figure out which one of us is safe and which of us is not. I do credit you on your choice for picking the most logical person to permanently tarnish on the first vote; great play for you and Donut.

InoxFy; you have to choose me and Collen. Given how this format works, Palamedes won her lead, Donut will win his lead. Town must choose all town on theirs, and we have the burden of all missions that require the whole town to go on. So it's either choose this team or get swept by the Pala/Donut scumteam.

EBWOP: *you are too.

Also, Scoffles Are you sure the turn formatting is correct? Like I noted, the two scum will guaranteedly win their turns unless if we can skip them, and we cannot under this format.
04-26-2013, 03:08 AM
There is no clause that says the leader must place himself on his own team or that the group must approve it

Escape the Day
04-26-2013, 03:30 AM
Ah, well that's slightly better. Now they can also pawn it off on their teammate continuously instead of just themselves. Still horribly broken against town, but less so.
04-26-2013, 03:41 AM
Yeah well to me you are confirmed Kieros, and while I'm therefore completely biased Collen did bring up a fair point - you're trying to shift blame away from yourself and onto me as opposed to trying to figure things out like the rest of us so the resistance can actually win.

I'm also fairly confident that you're throwing Donut under the bus in hopes we (Collen, Inox, me) might turn on ourselves if Inox goes along with your plan.
04-26-2013, 05:01 AM
I wouldn't have needed to shift the blame away from me if you hadn't have pinned it on me right at the beginning. It's almost as if you were on, and sent in a vote immediately after...[/highly circumstantial]
[/hr]On a different note, I hereby would like to withdraw my presumptive "slightly" for "seemingly". Because it's not. The town, if it fails on an attempt without a scum leader, cannot win unless if the scum gives up. I have two examples of infinite stalemates, even with that option, in the spoiler below.
Assume that there are five players, labelled A-E. Suppose that B and D are scum.
For the first mission, A chooses himself and B. B decides not to sabotage, and the mission passes.
The next mission, B leads, and adds C to that group. B sabotages, and the mission fails.
C realises that he is the most likely to be scum; however, he knows he isn't. He chooses the person from that mission he thinks is most town--B--and one of the two other people--D. B and D both sabotage. The mission fails, and now everyone knows who the scum are.
D is next. Unless if he sends ACE, town will reject it. And if he sends ACE, he is knowingly forfeiting. Neither side is in a position to play on.

Secondly, assume now that C and E are scum.
For the first mission, A chooses himself and C. C sabotages and the mission fails.
B decides that C is less scummy than A, and adds himself and E. C and E both sabotage. C is thus confirmed as scum.
C leads. He won't choose mission ABD, and likely won't choose any mission that doesn't involve him (unless if it doesn't involve the confirmed town A).
Just because the voting side can reject every single proposal given, doesn't mean that they can stop a scum. I am phrasing this as an ultimatum unto Scoffles: Either give town a way to skip people from proposing, or find a replacement for me.
04-26-2013, 05:16 AM
Fair enough.

I was citing the rules from memory so I must have misremembered/justified that.

What is the usual rule in this scenario?

Escape the Day